Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks

How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks How-To's, Tips & Tricks plus Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) **** Please Do Not Start Discussions or Ask New Questions in Here **** This is for popular Threads To be moved here for easy access & discussion. Post all new questions in main Stripertalk Forum

Old 09-18-2006, 10:34 AM   #1
ripitsik

When is it.....

good to use white sluggos or white plastics in general. I was at the store the other day and I was thinking about buying white eels but I didn't know if it was worth it. I s it worth using white plastic's during these Fall months in the canal?
ripitsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:16 PM   #2
pal156

white at night

pal156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:44 AM   #3
ripitsik

Ok, I mostly see black being used at night that is why I asked. I just confused on when to use it
Old 09-20-2006, 10:33 AM   #4
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Let the fish tell you

Sluggos produce if bass are there. If you're not getting hits on black, switch over to white. "White at night" does work. Even on dark, new moon nights.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
ripitsik

thanks mike, one more quesion.. You'll probably say "let the fish tell you" but I wanted to know how to present the sluggo when it hits the bottom. I always try to watch other guys when at the canal how they retrieve their sluggos. I am newbie when it comes to artificials. Im trying to pick brains here.

Thanks
Old 09-21-2006, 08:47 AM   #6
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

I fish a Sluggo/lead head combo exactly like I fish a jig. Cast, thumb it down and work it over the bottom. They're more buoyant than jigs, so it's harder to keep them in contact with the bottom, but a lot of times, they don't have to be dead on the bottom to catch

They're especially good when you're fishing from a point with a cut-out in the bank downtide. Let them drift as close to the bank as you dare.

And the 4" size makes a very nice jig trailer. Won't cut your cast down as much as pork, and it won't fold over the hook and make you miss a fish like pork does, either

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:39 PM   #7
FishermanTim

Slug-gos at night.

When it comes to Slug-gos, the advice I got and pass on is:
When you think you're going slow enough, you're notgoing slow enough.
That and when people ask me how I fish them I say "Low and Slow".
I occasionally hit the east end, and although I'm not aiming for the middle of the canal, I can usually get sufficient distance with 1 - 1.5 oz jigs with 9 inch Slug-gos. Since the majority of the east end is sandy bottom, there's lest to get hung up on, and the fish are usually eager to hunt the shallows at night.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:20 PM   #8
ripitsik

what do you consider slow though??? Sometimes its hard to do that, since the current brings your line so close to shore. I dont know maybe I am just doin it wrong...
Old 09-22-2006, 12:32 PM   #9
FishermanTim

My own method is to pace my retrieve so that regardless of where the line has drifted in the current, the lure is being reeled in at a somewhat consistent pace. I normally count by 1000's, like we all did in sandlot football games (1-1000, 2-1000, 31000 etc...) I will get one crank of the reel per count. If the current is ripping strong, you will probably want to slow the cranking down. With the Slug-gos, my goal is to bounce on the bottom as much as possible. I hope this helps.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:24 PM   #10
Slick Moedee

Quick retreives can also produce fish at the surface. Reeling in really slow with a slight jerk of the rod tip caused the sluggo to twitch and then fall.
Slick Moedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:09 PM   #11
FishermanTim

With possible restrictions on the use of eels, like the river herring, the use of plastics may become a standard in the arsenal of fishing gear.
Once you become proficient in the general use, you will undoubtedly develope you own finesse regarding your retrieves. The best part is that the more you do it, the easier it gets and the better you get.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:52 AM   #12
ripitsik

I will try both ways. I usually just cast it out into the current and let it take the sluggo then once I feel the bottom I start to pump the rod tip.. I havent caught a cold doing it that way lol. So this is why I am open to suggestions. I just bought Berkley 10' eels with some herring rainbow colored jigheads ( 2oz). Should I use more of a rod jerk approach with this hook up or more of a slow retrieve approach?
Old 09-28-2006, 11:59 AM   #13
FishermanTim

Personally, with the lesser weight, I let the current do the work of imparting motion to the lure. This may hav me missing out on potential strikes, but in the long haul, it saves my arms and shoulders from fatigue. I don't believe the rod jerking is as important when fishing over sandy bottoms lik I do, than when fishing over a rocky bottom. It all boils down to where and when you fish.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:12 PM   #14
ripitsik

I mostly fish the beach (east side) of scusset beach. I always fished on and off for years. This year, is the first yr I am "serious" about fishing. So unfortunately, this is pretty much the only spot I know. I usually go by myself at night, so I usually dont have the time or help to find other spots to fish.It's not like I can bring a bike down everytime I fish to radar the area of good fishing either. So yeah, scusset is the spot that I only fish mostly. I tried the railroad bridge once back in early may, but that was it.
It sometimes discourages me because there is so much more to striper fishing than I thought. I read people's stories on here and everyone talks about "try certain spots, during certain tides, water temp, wind direction, etc". I have not a single clue in understanding what you guys are talkin about . But anyways, sorry to vent tim. I appreciate your help