Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-04-2019, 01:41 PM   #31
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Hottest June ever, not hottest month. That was July last year or year before....
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
That’s what I meant mud boi.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:47 PM   #32
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
That’s what I meant mud boi.
Very Trumpian of you.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:05 PM   #33
scottw

pretty sure today is the hottest day EVAH!!!
Old 07-04-2019, 08:36 PM   #34
Sea Dangles

Who is gunna make ice for the snowflakes?
Old 07-11-2019, 07:37 AM   #35
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Donald "Smokey" Trump made another foot in mouth memorable moment in his lastest press conference when he stated "You don't have to have any forest fires," you see, but nobody knew about forest management before he came along and told them, you know, and forest management means "cleaning" the forests, which are dirty, unlike in other countries-"forest nations".

Maybe he can tax the rich to raise what would need to be massive sums of money to clean some of the ruggedest landscape around, but wait could it be it's just part of the natural world reacting to the changing climate; no of course not it's fake news. Brilliant statement from the guy eliminating over 80 rules and regs to protect our environment.

What's next, we don't have to have these severe floods, we just need to buy large pumps to move that water to the fires and problem solved?
Old 07-11-2019, 08:27 AM   #36
Sea Dangles

Thank you for your tireless research. This guy will keep you busy for another 6 years.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:29 AM   #37
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Can't imagine it will be that long we will have to deal with him, but even if that is the case, it doesn't take much research to see the harm he is doing long term. I won't run out of material, but boy how many of the same old same old insults and snowflakes can you throw out. You need to come up with either some new material, or maybe actually have a thoughtful debate over a subject that will (not if) impact your kids and their kids. But maybe it's all about you and that certainly wouldn't surprise me.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:31 AM   #38
wdmso

the right will never admit to climate change..or anything based on facts or science or plain observation it's how there party works denial is everything... you see it in any post not started by them...

denial requires no intellectual input and it's easier then addressing the issue
.. that's why they excel at it
Old 07-11-2019, 12:11 PM   #39
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Can't imagine it will be that long we will have to deal with him, but even if that is the case, it doesn't take much research to see the harm he is doing long term. I won't run out of material, but boy how many of the same old same old insults and snowflakes can you throw out. You need to come up with either some new material, or maybe actually have a thoughtful debate over a subject that will (not if) impact your kids and their kids. But maybe it's all about you and that certainly wouldn't surprise me.
If you feel it helps then that is all that matters.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 07-11-2019, 12:49 PM   #40
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
the right will never admit to climate change..or anything based on facts or science or plain observation it's how there party works denial is everything... you see it in any post not started by them...

denial requires no intellectual input and it's easier then addressing the issue
.. that's why they excel at it
"the right will never admit to climate change"

Bullsh*t. Many, many influential conservatives admit that the climate is changing.

"or anything based on facts or science or plain observation "

Oh my yes. Please, I need to be lectured about how to analyze data and facts, from the party that still thanks that "tax and spend" is the way to go, from the party that sees no issue with open borders, from the party that denies there are two distinct genders, from the party that currently denies that a full-term baby in the womb isn't a human being, and from the party that claims that incessantly judging people by their sex and skin color isn't sexist or bigoted. I have so much to learn form people who are so good at analyzing facts, that they arrive at these conclusions. You're just so good at science, how can I ever, ever compare?
Old 07-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #41
Jim in CT

Quote:
Can't imagine it will be that long we will have to deal with him, but even if that is the case, it doesn't take much research to see the harm he is doing long term. .
According to the uber-liberal Washington Post, the US led the world in reducing carbon emissions. Not good enough? Should we all live in tents and walk to work?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier.../#65f98d433535
Old 07-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #42
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Not debating we are leading the world, but we are now going backwards, when we drop out of the Paris accord and eliminate regulations put in place to achieve those goals for the sake of profits. Unless you are blind or just don't want to see it, the climate is changing and the science community is ramping up its warnings, just because we are leading now, doesn't mean our work is done.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:59 PM   #43
Jim in CT

Quote:
Not debating we are leading the world, but we are now going backwards, when we drop out of the Paris accord and eliminate regulations put in place to achieve those goals for the sake of profits. Unless you are blind or just don't want to see it, the climate is changing and the science community is ramping up its warnings, just because we are leading now, doesn't mean our work is done.
i said it’s changing.

if we are leading the world
in carbon reductions, how are we going backwards? just because we dropped out of the paris deal?

what does it matter if we make sacrifices, and china and russia don’t?
Old 07-11-2019, 04:19 PM   #44
Sea Dangles

Don’t forget you are arguing with a person who believes tighter restrictions at the border have led to more illegal immigrants.You simply can’t make some of this stupid #^&#^&#^&#^& up.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:12 PM   #45
spence

You guys ever stop and think for a moment that Trump is taking credit for emissions reductions that are a result of the same policies he's now working to reverse?
Old 07-11-2019, 05:14 PM   #46
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Don’t forget you are arguing with a person who believes tighter restrictions at the border have led to more illegal immigrants.
This is actually true.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:19 PM   #47
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Here is the list, again just because at present we might be leading, doesn't make the future better for you kids or their kids. Look at the dead zones in the gulf and elsewhere, unless you just don't watch the news, the changes in climate extremes are in your face daily, but hey have a beer and no worries.

1. Canceled a requirement for oil and gas companies to report methane emissions.
Environmental Protection Agency | Read more
2. Revised and partially repealed an Obama-era rule limiting methane emissions on public lands, including intentional venting and flaring from drilling operations.
Interior Department | Read more
3. Loosened a Clinton-era rule designed to limit toxic emissions from major industrial polluters.
E.P.A. | Read more
4. Stopped enforcing a 2015 rule that prohibited the use of hydrofluorocarbons, powerful greenhouse gases, in air-conditioners and refrigerators.
E.P.A. | Read more
5. Repealed a requirement that state and regional authorities track tailpipe emissions from vehicles traveling on federal highways.
Transportation Department | Read more
6. Reverted to a weaker 2009 pollution permitting program for new power plants and expansions.
E.P.A. | Read more
7. Amended rules that govern how refineries monitor pollution in surrounding communities.
E.P.A. | Read more
8. Directed agencies to stop using an Obama-era calculation of the “social cost of carbon” that rulemakers used to estimate the long-term economic benefits of reducing carbon dioxide emissions.
Executive Order | Read more
9. Withdrew guidance that federal agencies include greenhouse gas emissions in environmental reviews. But several district courts have ruled that emissions must be included in such reviews.
Executive Order; Council on Environmental Quality | Read more
10. Lifted a summertime ban on the use of E15, a gasoline blend made of 15 percent ethanol. (Burning gasoline with a higher concentration of ethanol in hot conditions increases smog.)
E.P.A. | Read more
IN PROCESS
11. Proposed weakening Obama-era fuel-economy standards for cars and light trucks. The proposal also challenges California’s right to set its own more stringent standards, which other states can choose to follow.
E.P.A. and Transportation Department | Read more
12. Announced intent to withdraw the United States from the Paris climate agreement. (The process of withdrawing cannot be completed until 2020.)
13. Proposed repeal of the Clean Power Plan, which would have set strict limits on carbon emissions from coal- and gas-fired power plants. In April 2019, the E.P.A. sent a replacement plan, which would let states set their own rules, to the White House for budget review.
Executive Order; E.P.A. | Read more
14. Proposed eliminating Obama-era restrictions that in effect required newly built coal power plants to capture carbon dioxide emissions.
E.P.A. | Read more
15. Proposed a legal justification for weakening an Obama-era rule that limited mercury emissions from coal power plants.
E.P.A. | Read more
16. Proposed revisions to standards for carbon dioxide emissions from new, modified and reconstructed power plants.
17. Began review of emissions rules for power plant start-ups, shutdowns and malfunctions. In April, the E.P.A. filed an order reversing a requirement that 36 states follow the emissions rule.
E.P.A. | Read more
18. Proposed relaxing Obama-era requirements that companies monitor and repair methane leaks at oil and gas facilities.
E.P.A. | Read more
19. Proposed changing rules aimed at cutting methane emissions from landfills. In May, 2019, a federal judge ruled against the E.P.A. for failing to enforce the existing law and gave the agency a fall deadline for finalizing state and federal rules. E.P.A. said it is reviewing the decision.
E.P.A. | Read more
20. Announced a rewrite of an Obama-era rule meant to reduce air pollution in national parks and wilderness areas.
E.P.A. | Read more
21. Weakened oversight of some state plans for reducing air pollution in national parks. (In Texas, the E.P.A. rejected an Obama-era plan that would have required the installation of equipment at some coal-burning power plants to reduce sulfur dioxide emissions.)
E.P.A. | Read more
22. Proposed repealing leak-repair, maintenance and reporting requirements for large refrigeration and air conditioning systems containing hydrofluorocarbons.
E.P.A. | Read more
Drilling and extraction
COMPLETED
23. Made significant cuts to the borders of two national monuments in Utah and recommended border and resource management changes to several more.
Presidential Proclamation; Interior Department | Read more
24. Rescinded water pollution regulations for fracking on federal and Indian lands.
25. Scrapped a proposed rule that required mines to prove they could pay to clean up future pollution.
E.P.A. | Read more
26. Withdrew a requirement that Gulf oil rig owners prove they could cover the costs of removing rigs once they have stopped producing.
27. Approved construction of the Dakota Access pipeline less than a mile from the Standing Rock Sioux reservation. Under the Obama administration, the Army Corps of Engineers had said it would explore alternative routes.
Executive Order; Army | Read more
28. Revoked an Obama-era executive order designed to preserve ocean, coastal and Great Lakes waters in favor of a policy focused on energy production and economic growth.
29. Changed how the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission considers the indirect effects of greenhouse gas emissions in environmental reviews of pipelines.
Federal Energy Regulatory Commission | Read more
30. Permitted the use of seismic air guns for gas and oil exploration in the Atlantic Ocean. The practice, which can kill marine life and disrupt fisheries, was blocked under the Obama administration.
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration | Read more
31. Loosened offshore drilling safety regulations implemented by the Obama administration following the 2010 Deepwater Horizon explosion and oil spill. The revised rules include reduced testing requirements for blowout prevention systems.
IN PROCESS
32. Completed preliminary environmental reviews to clear the way for drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
Congress; Interior Department | Read more
33. Proposed opening most of America’s coastal waters to offshore oil and gas drilling, but delayed the plan after a federal judge ruled that Mr. Trump’s reversal of an Obama-era ban on drilling in the Arctic Ocean was unlawlful.
34. Lifted an Obama-era freeze on new coal leases on public lands. But, in April 2019, a judge ruled that the Interior Department could not begin selling new leases without completing an environmental review. A month later, the agency published a draft assessment that concluded restarting federal coal leasing would have little environmental impact.
Executive Order; Interior Department | Read more
35. Repealed an Obama-era rule governing royalties for oil, gas and coal leases on federal lands, which replaced a 1980s rule that critics said allowed companies to underpay the federal government. A federal judge struck down the Trump administration’s repeal. The Interior Department is reviewing the decision.
36. Proposed “streamlining” the approval process for drilling for oil and gas in national forests.
Agriculture Department; Interior Department | Read more
37. Ordered review of regulations on oil and gas drilling in national parks where mineral rights are privately owned.
38. Recommended shrinking three marine protected areas, or opening them to commercial fishing.
Executive Order; National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration | Read more
39. Ordered review of regulations on offshore oil and gas exploration by floating vessels in the Arctic that were developed after a 2013 accident. The Interior Department said it was “considering full rescission or revision of this rule.”
40. Approved the Keystone XL pipeline rejected by President Barack Obama, but a federal judge blocked the project from going forward without an adequate environmental review process. Mr. Trump later attempted to side-step the ruling by issuing a presidential permit, but the project remains tied up in court.
Executive Order; State Department | Read more
Infrastructure and planning
COMPLETED
41. Revoked Obama-era flood standards for federal infrastructure projects, like roads and bridges. The standards required the government to account for sea-level rise and other climate change effects.
42. Relaxed the environmental review process for federal infrastructure projects.
43. Revoked a directive for federal agencies to minimize impacts on water, wildlife, land and other natural resources when approving development projects.
44. Revoked an Obama executive order promoting “climate resilience” in the northern Bering Sea region of Alaska, which withdrew local waters from oil and gas leasing and established a tribal advisory council to consult on local environmental issues.
45. Revoked an Obama executive order that set a goal of cutting the federal government’s greenhouse gas emissions by 40 percent over 10 years.
46. Reversed an update to the Bureau of Land Management’s public land use planning process.
Congress | Read more
47. Withdrew an Obama-era order to consider climate change in managing natural resources in national parks.
National Park Service | Read more
48. Restricted most Interior Department environmental studies to one year in length and a maximum of 150 pages, citing a need to reduce paperwork.
49. Withdrew a number of Obama-era Interior Department climate change and conservation policies that the agency said could “burden the development or utilization of domestically produced energy resources.”
50. Eliminated the use of an Obama-era planning system designed to minimize harm from oil and gas activity on sensitive landscapes, such as national parks.
51. Eased the environmental review processes for small wireless infrastructure projects with the goal of expanding 5G wireless networks.
Federal Communications Commission | Read more
52. Withdrew Obama-era policies designed to maintain or, ideally improve, natural resources affected by federal projects.
IN PROCESS
53. Proposed plans to streamline the environmental review process for Forest Service projects.
Agriculture Department | Read more
Animals
COMPLETED
54. Opened nine million acres of Western land to oil and gas drilling by weakening habitat protections for the sage grouse, an imperiled bird with an elaborate mating dance.
55. Overturned a ban on the use of lead ammunition and fishing tackle on federal lands.
56. Overturned a ban on the hunting of predators in Alaskan wildlife refuges.
Congress | Read more
57. Ended an Obama-era rule barring hunters on some Alaska public lands from using bait to lure and kill grizzly bears.
National Park Service; Interior Department | Read more
58. Withdrew proposed limits on the number of endangered marine mammals and sea turtles that people who fish could unintentionally kill or injure with sword-fishing nets on the West Coast. In 2018, California issued a state rule prohibiting the use of the nets the rule was intending to regulate.
59. Amended fishing regulations for a number of species to allow for longer seasons and higher catch rates.
60. Rolled back a roughly 40-year-old interprentation of a policy aimed at protecting migratory birds, potentially running afoul of treaties with Canada and Mexico.
61. Overturned a ban on using parts of migratory birds in handicrafts made by Alaskan Natives.
IN PROCESS
62. Proposed stripping the Endangered Species Act of key provisions.
63. Proposed relaxing environmental protections for salmon and smelt in California’s Central Valley in order to free up water for farmers.
Toxic substances and safety
COMPLETED
64. Narrowed the scope of a 2016 law mandating safety assessments for potentially toxic chemicals, like dry-cleaning solvents and paint strippers. The E.P.A. will focus on direct exposure and exclude air, water and ground contamination.
E.P.A. | Read more
65. Reversed an Obama-era rule that required braking system upgrades for “high hazard” trains hauling flammable liquids, like oil and ethanol.
66. Removed copper filter cake, an electronics manufacturing byproduct comprised of heavy metals, from the “hazardous waste” list.
E.P.A. | Read more
IN PROCESS
67. Rejected a proposed ban on chlorpyrifos, a potentially neurotoxic pesticide. In August 2018, a federal court ordered the E.P.A. to ban the pesticide, but the agency is appealing the ruling.
E.P.A. | Read more
68. Announced a review of an Obama-era rule lowering coal dust limits in mines. The head of the Mine Safety and Health Administration said there were no immediate plans to change the dust limit, but the review is continuing.
Labor Department | Read more
Water pollution
COMPLETED
69. Revoked a rule that prevented coal companies from dumping mining debris into local streams.
Congress | Read more
70. Withdrew a proposed rule aimed at reducing pollutants, including air pollution, at sewage treatment plants.
E.P.A. | Read more
71. Withdrew a proposed rule requiring groundwater protections for certain uranium mines.
E.P.A. | Read more
72. Weakened federal rules regulating the disposal and storage of coal ash waste from power plants. (A second phase of this rollback is still under way.)
E.P.A. | Read more
IN PROCESS
73. Proposed rolling back protections for certain tributaries and wetlands that the Obama administration wanted covered by the Clean Water Act.
E.P.A.; Army | Read more
74. Delayed by two years an E.P.A. rule regulating limits on toxic discharge, which can include mercury, from power plants into public waterways.
E.P.A. | Read more
75. Ordered the E.P.A. to re-evaluate a section of the Clean Water Act and related guidance that allows states to reject or delay federal projects – including pipelines and other fossil fuel facilities – if they don't meet local water quality goals.
Other
COMPLETED
76. Prohibited funding environmental and community development projects through corporate settlements of federal lawsuits.
Justice Department | Read more
77. Announced intent to stop payments to the Green Climate Fund, a United Nations program to help poorer countries reduce carbon emissions.
78. Reversed restrictions on the sale of plastic water bottles in national parks desgined to cut down on litter, despite a Park Service report that the effort worked.
IN PROCESS
79. Proposed limiting the studies used by the E.P.A. for rulemaking to only those that make data publicly available. (The move was widely criticized by scientists, who said it would effectively block the agency from considering landmark research that relies on confidential health data.)
E.P.A. | Read more
80. Proposed repealing an Obama-era regulation that nearly doubled the number of light bulbs subject to energy-efficiency standards set to go into effect next year.
Energy Department | Read more
81. Proposed changes to the way cost-benefit analyses are conducted under the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act and other environmental statutes.
E.P.A. | Read more
82. Proposed withdrawing efficiency standards for residential furnaces and commercial water heaters designed to reduce energy use.
Energy Department | Read more
83. Initially withdrew then delayed a proposed rule that would inform car owners about fuel-efficient replacement tires. (The Transportation Department has scheduled a new rulemaking notice for 2020.)
Old 07-11-2019, 05:27 PM   #48
Sea Dangles

Quote:
This is actually true.
So you also are in the camp of folks who believe tighter restrictions lead to more crossing attempts...the conclusion being that weaker restrictions is a more effective deterrent thus resulting in less illegals? Just asking for a friend.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 07-11-2019, 05:43 PM   #49
spence

Quote:
So you also are in the camp of folks who believe tighter restrictions lead to more crossing attempts...
Sure given the convoluted approach as is being implemented. As the demographics of those seeking refugee status -- as is allowed by current US law -- increases, while at the same time border policy to restrict asylum also increases you're going to push more people across in between ports which is going to increase the likelihood they don't seek asylum because they know they're going to be detained rather than processed legally.

Not to mention the impact on numbers of asylum seekers by smugglers using Trump's tough rhetoric to encourage northward migration and how elimination of US aid to troubled regions exacerbates the situation and you have a clear cause and effect.

Don't worry though, Sunday you're possibly going to start seeing detention centers across the country looking like El Paso and American children being separated from their parents. It's going to be MAGA.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:58 PM   #50
detbuch

Quote:
Sure given the convoluted approach as is being implemented. As the demographics of those seeking refugee status -- as is allowed by current US law -- increases, while at the same time border policy to restrict asylum also increases you're going to push more people across in between ports which is going to increase the likelihood they don't seek asylum because they know they're going to be detained rather than processed legally.

Not to mention the impact on numbers of asylum seekers by smugglers using Trump's tough rhetoric to encourage northward migration and how elimination of US aid to troubled regions exacerbates the situation and you have a clear cause and effect.

Don't worry though, Sunday you're possibly going to start seeing detention centers across the country looking like El Paso and American children being separated from their parents. It's going to be MAGA.
Is asylum being restricted?
Old 07-11-2019, 06:08 PM   #51
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Is asylum being restricted?
It sure is.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:25 PM   #52
detbuch

Quote:
It sure is.
How?
Old 07-11-2019, 09:15 PM   #53
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

what does it matter if we make sacrifices, and china and russia don’t?
Wow good rational for the US to throw in the towel and stop setting a good example. I’m sure your grandchildren will understand you as you explain we just couldn't change until everyone on the planet agreed it’s time. Don’t worry they will pass that on to their kids, as they explain why they are sh*t out of luck.

Good news for you as you are now free to stop recycling or any of the other BS since others around the world aren’t doing their part, wow what a load off for you.

Last edited by Got Stripers; 07-11-2019 at 09:33 PM..
Old 07-11-2019, 10:55 PM   #54
Sea Dangles

I remain in the camp of America FIRST. We asked for it,we got it.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:39 AM   #55
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"the right will never admit to climate change"

Bullsh*t. Many, many influential conservatives admit that the climate is changing.

"or anything based on facts or science or plain observation "

Oh my yes. Please, I need to be lectured about how to analyze data and facts, from the party that still thanks that "tax and spend" is the way to go, from the party that sees no issue with open borders, from the party that denies there are two distinct genders, from the party that currently denies that a full-term baby in the womb isn't a human being, and from the party that claims that incessantly judging people by their sex and skin color isn't sexist or bigoted. I have so much to learn form people who are so good at analyzing facts, that they arrive at these conclusions. You're just so good at science, how can I ever, ever compare?
Whos the party spending money now ?? Love the open borders myth. Abortion isnt illigal. judgingpeople by skin or sex is bigoted yes it is your side excel at that . Yes There are 2 physical genders your in denial some people are and women in a mens body. Its not new to sience or history .. more examples of your skills of denial.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:56 AM   #56
wdmso

Quote:
Wow good rational for the US to throw in the towel and stop setting a good example. I’m sure your grandchildren will understand you as you explain we just couldn't change until everyone on the planet agreed it’s time. Don’t worry they will pass that on to their kids, as they explain why they are sh*t out of luck.

Good news for you as you are now free to stop recycling or any of the other BS since others around the world aren’t doing their part, wow what a load off for you.
LEADERS CANT LEAD FROM BEHIND.. and thats what Trump is doing there another name for American 1st .. its a form of isolationism
Old 07-12-2019, 07:16 AM   #57
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Whos the party spending money now ?? Love the open borders myth. Abortion isnt illigal. judgingpeople by skin or sex is bigoted yes it is your side excel at that . Yes There are 2 physical genders your in denial some people are and women in a mens body. Its not new to sience or history .. more examples of your skills of denial.
this one left a dent in the padded wall
Old 07-12-2019, 08:11 AM   #58
Sea Dangles

I have to wonder if he reads the thoughts that escape the birdcage before he hits the post reply button.🤡
Old 07-12-2019, 08:28 AM   #59
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
I remain in the camp of ME FIRST.
Fixed it, must have been a typo, because we all knew what you meant.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:05 AM   #60
detbuch

Quote:
Fixed it, must have been a typo, because we all knew what you meant.
If Trump did what you did it would be called a lie.