Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 03-18-2004, 08:41 AM   #1
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Question MSBA Plug Night/Those That Were There Last Time I Need Input.

I hosted a nite last August at MSBA that was called "Plug Night". Mostly it was made up of folks from this site. We had Bassmaster "Dave" Manzi do a plug building demo. Also many others displayed and sold some of their great plugs. Christian, Tagger, Newell Guy, #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, Johnny The Ratt Boy, KarlF, and I know, since I just woke up that I am forgetting many of you....my apologies. Anyway, the club would like to have "Plug Night" again and I need your input to see if you are interested in doing this again as it is you folks who inspired this night in the first place. As many of you recall, we had a great time last year, and never have we had so many people comment on a nite of entertainment as we had comment on "Plug Night". I am planning on having "Plug Night" once again in August. This year I have several ideas to add a little more spice to the evening. I would again like to have a plug turning demonstration, if any of you would be interested in doing the turning demo, please contact me, there is a paid fee involved for that person. I also would like to know if all of you guys who were there last year would like to come again to display and sell your plugs, please let me know. The more the merrier so all are welcome to participate. I am going to also see if I can get a few people who collect vintage plugs and lures to see if they would be willing to display some of their collection to the membership. If any of you guys would be interested in this please let me know. I also am going to see if I can get a major plug manufacturer to come out and talk about their company and its history. More on that later. Last year we had Al Gags from Gags Grabbers there, he, as always, was great. As many of you know, at every meeting the club has a raffle table, and last years raffle table was full of plugs, many of them donated by you generous folks and there were also many other types of plugs on the table and that was one of the busiest raffles the club has seen in quite awhile. This years raffle table will be very similar with a few twists.....I am going to look into having a couple of vintage plugs on the raffle table to give away. It should be a great time, but I can't make it a reality without the help of those who might be interested so please let me know your feelings on the August date, and if you would be interested in participating. If this happens I can promise a great night of fun for all involved. I look forward to hearing from you all, thanks guys.

Also Bliz will more than likely have his "Plug Display" on hand that so many of you have donated to. (Sorry Bliz, did not mean to forget)

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 09:26 AM   #2
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

I'm in Bigfish sounds like a plan.
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 09:37 AM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Thanks #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&....I am hoping to make it bigger and better than last year. (if that is possible)

Old 03-18-2004, 01:08 PM   #4
Bliz

Send a message via AIM to Bliz Send a message via Yahoo to Bliz
Thanks Larry.

This would be a great venue for the plug project!...
Bliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 06:04 PM   #5
TheRattBoy
surfcasting is NOT a crime

Hey Salty, you can pick me up on the wayThat was a lot of fun last year. johnny "the Ratt Boy"
TheRattBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 06:08 PM   #6
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

yep was a good time Rattboy we do it again!

Quote:
Originally posted by pisrfcstr
Hey Salty, you can pick me up on the wayThat was a lot of fun last year. johnny "the Ratt Boy"
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 09:47 PM   #7
Diamond Tackle

I dont want to miss this. Please count me in.
Will gladly contribute some components, gratis.
Diamond Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 09:53 PM   #8
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Sounds good Tinman, I will let you know the details as we progress. Don't you live out of state?

Old 03-19-2004, 04:15 PM   #9
Christian
viva the plug-o-lution

Send a message via AIM to Christian
so ill start buildin for this now

live to fish. fish to live. rod tips high.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 05:13 PM   #10
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I think you should run the raffle before Manzi speaks, that is my input.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 05:13 PM   #11
rocketman

It's a long way for me to come, but last year was super.
I wouldn't miss it, count me in. I learned a lot from BM. I also finally got my picture in "The Fisherman" because of that meeting.
Last week in the featured club article about MSBA the picture from plug nite, they got the back of my head( the guy in the Rhody Rovers t-shirt) while taking a photo of Bassmaster doing his thing. I always wanted my picture in that mag, but I envisioned it a little differently.

Life is like a poop sandwich, the more bread you've got, the less poop you taste.
rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 09:51 PM   #12
bassmaster
Dave's Guide Service

Pro Tool Club....
bassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 07:06 PM   #13
JHABS
Needlefish Nazi

Bigfish, Any room for a HAB'S................

Over the Last Several Years HAB'S NEEDLEFISH Have Caught More "Confirmed" 30, 40, 50, and even 60 pound Striped Bass than any other Wooden Needlefish on the Market today. 2 Over 50lbs. and 1 Over 60lbs. in 2005 alone........... "HOOK UP WITH HAB'S" Your Best Bet For BIG BASS.....
JHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 02:38 AM   #14
BasicPatrick
M.S.B.A.

Location: I live in the Villiage of Hyannis in the Town of Barnstable in the Commonwealth of MA
Send a message via AIM to BasicPatrick Send a message via Yahoo to BasicPatrick
Quote:
Originally posted by JHABS
Bigfish, Any room for a HAB'S................
John,

We still have a lonely booth left for you at the show this weekend....

"It is impossible to complain and to achieve at the same time"--Basic Patrick (on a good day)

BasicPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 08:45 AM   #15
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Habs, would you be interested in coming? The club would love to have you come, it would be our pleasure.

Old 03-25-2004, 01:06 PM   #16
Bliz

Send a message via AIM to Bliz Send a message via Yahoo to Bliz
That would be great!...
Bliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 01:24 PM   #17
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Talking I need to remind you guys.....

Plug Night is for "YOU"! It is a night to show people who may not know it but there are many talented and skilled people in the New England area who actually hand craft their own plugs and, yes, some of you have started your own fine and reputable businesses. I put this night together last year after seeing all of the beautiful work that you all do. I was impressed by the skill of a then 16 year old Christian and the fantastic things that he is capable of, and the beautifully crafted plugs of so many of you, Bassmaster, JHabs, Tattoo, Tagger, Newell Guy, Mr. #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& himself and many others here in the "Plug Builders Forum". It is also a night to teach people about the history of building plugs and more importantly, how to catch fish with these man made bait immitators. The conception of taking a piece of ordinary wood, rubber,or plastic for that matter, and shaping it into a seductive shape of fishy deception is pretty amazing in and of itself, but to see where many of you have taken this skill continues to amaze me to the point where I am now trying my hand at it and I must say it is most satisfying and enjoyable. Imagine how much I will enjoy it when I actually catch a striper on a plug made with my own two hands. As I put things in place, I will post the details of the night as they become available, but I need your help and input to make it a great night. Last year was fabulous and fun. I wish you could have heard all of the people who came up to me or called me just to let me know how much they enjoyed themselves. Then there were those who were unable to make it that night and expressed interest in attending the next "Plug Night". If you have interest in getting involved, or you have any ideas that might add to the night, please pm me. Lets do it again this August and do it twice as good as last year. Thanks all.

Last edited by BigFish; 03-25-2004 at 01:26 PM..

Old 03-25-2004, 01:27 PM   #18
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

JHabs and Tattoo....might you be interested in attending?

Old 03-25-2004, 02:11 PM   #19
JHABS
Needlefish Nazi

BIGFISH , As soon as you can let me know the date that would help me, I will bring the whole ARSENAL..............

Over the Last Several Years HAB'S NEEDLEFISH Have Caught More "Confirmed" 30, 40, 50, and even 60 pound Striped Bass than any other Wooden Needlefish on the Market today. 2 Over 50lbs. and 1 Over 60lbs. in 2005 alone........... "HOOK UP WITH HAB'S" Your Best Bet For BIG BASS.....
Old 03-25-2004, 02:32 PM   #20
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Habs, the date is August 25th, a Wednesday evening.

Old 03-27-2004, 07:46 PM   #21
bassmaster
Dave's Guide Service

who is the wood turner

Pro Tool Club....
Old 03-27-2004, 09:09 PM   #22
JHABS
Needlefish Nazi

BM, It MUST BE YOU O MASTER PLUG builder.....................

Old 03-29-2004, 12:04 PM   #23
RI Popper
Fish "one of God's gifts to us"

Send a message via AIM to RI Popper Send a message via Yahoo to RI Popper
I'd Love to take part in that one. I'll even donate some plugs for door prizes. Let me know if you put it together.

Armand

"Fish, just one of God's gifts to us."
RI Popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 12:18 PM   #24
Bobbike

Send a message via AIM to Bobbike
Hello all,
Just want to say hello and thank you in advance for your possible attendance. Last years event was a SMASH with the members. I'll start save my pennies now for that one.

MSBA Pres.

If your feet aint wet...U aint fishing

Bobbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 02:05 PM   #25
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Rhode Island Popper, consider yourself in! It is going to happen on Wednesday evening, August 25th. Last year was fabulous and I know many people are echoing Bobbike in that they are planning on coming with their pockets lined with dough, and a plug bag the size of a suitcase to carry home the goods. Let me know if you can make it, the more the merrier!

Old 03-29-2004, 08:46 PM   #26
rocketman

How about , No pre-season Partiots+Pro golf +concert at Greatwoods that night. I was stuck in traffic for an hour. Thought I was gonna miss something. Good thing it was after the normal business meeting.

Life is like a poop sandwich, the more bread you've got, the less poop you taste.
rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 09:35 PM   #27
bassmaster
Dave's Guide Service

I should have some plugs for Your Guys raffle.
I will Be there with My lathe

Pro Tool Club....
Old 03-29-2004, 10:07 PM   #28
TheRattBoy
surfcasting is NOT a crime

I'm with Slip on thios one, if Dave is the speaker, DO THE RAFFLE FIRST.... johnny "tRB"
TheRattBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 10:45 PM   #29
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I know what you guys are saying about the raffle and I wish we could but we sell the tickets throughout the course of the night, it makes more money that way. However I am batting around a couple of alternatives.

Old 04-03-2004, 08:35 PM   #30
bassmaster
Dave's Guide Service

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFish
However I am batting around a couple of alternatives.
U tinkin bout what i said.......

Pro Tool Club....