Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sportsman's Talk

Sportsman's Talk New forum for other outdoor sports. Hunting, shooting, archery, and everything else that has you crawling around with the bugs...

Old 02-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
Sundowner

Turkey calls

I am heading to my cabin to try out turkey hunting for the first time in the spring. What are your favorite turkey calls? I think I am getting a box for distance and then one of the slate ones for when I locate them.

Thanks,
Bob
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
fishrick

Bob, pick up one of the kits with the CD. You can practice in the car, and using the diaphram is not as difficult as many would have you believe. Master a couple of calls like the young lost poult kee kee, young hen, and have at it. I started with a box, two diaphrams, and that was enough the first three years. Now I carry a box, three diaphrams, a gobble shaker (rarely used) and a slate with three strikers. The diaphram gets 90% of the action.
fishrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
Hookedagain

I used to use a box, and a slate. Both are back up calls now (Still go out with me but stay in the backpack) I use the diaphragm 99.9% of the time. I would also recommend picking up a locator call or two. Either a crow call or an owl. Enjoy your hunt.

Where is your cabin?
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
Sundowner

damn, I don't even know what a diaphragm is! And you use a crow or owl call to locate turkey? Guess I need to do some reading!
Hell, now I wanna get an owl call to try and call in an owl, then I could shoot it with my camera, that would be awesome to me. Thanks for the tip though.
cabin is 15 mi E of State College,PA
Old 03-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
Matt D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
damn, I don't even know what a diaphragm is! And you use a crow or owl call to locate turkey? Guess I need to do some reading!
Hell, now I wanna get an owl call to try and call in an owl, then I could shoot it with my camera, that would be awesome to me. Thanks for the tip though.
cabin is 15 mi E of State College,PA
You may find the owls come in easier than the turkeys.

A diaphragm is also known as a mouth call. It takes a little practice, but the advantage with it is you can make sounds without overt movement. A box call is much easier to use, but you'll be shocked at how a wary a Tom is when coming to a call. If you're mainly using a slate or a box, don't call when the turkey is getting close. Chances are he'll see you working the call.

They have awesome eyesight and expect to see the hen that's making the calls. IMO the best setup is one where the turkey's in range the first time he comes into view. For example when you're at the flat top of a small rise and the turkey is coming up to you. In my experience if you can see the turkey from 100 yards away it's real tough to get him to come into range.

Good luck! It's a lot of fun and the first time a big boy is gobbling his head off 40 or 50 yards away, you'll be hooked!
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
Sundowner

Good luck! It's a lot of fun and the first time a big boy is gobbling his head off 40 or 50 yards away, you'll be hooked![/QUOTE]

You are so not kiddin bro. I didn't get one but holy crap, that was awesome and I am certainly hooked. I was gonna go out there for bow this year, but I am saving my PTO for next spring. I had the best time except I made 2 mistakes and I know what they were, but DAMN!! That was awesome. They are frikan LOUD
Old 05-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
fishrick

Another "addict"

You're hooked now.The more you go, the worse it gets. The sleep deprivation issues continue.....I had three six feet behind me on a "junior day" this year with my 13 year old son. They gobbled and the ground shook. He ended up missing at 25 yards...too excited. It sure was fun.
fishrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
Sundowner

yep, yup and yessir. I also know the fever.