Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
Nebe

You think this is legal??

Don't get me wrong here, I'm glad they caught the Little chit, but if I owned a house in that neighborhood and the cops kicked down my door and treated me like that, I'd be calling my lawyer.

After every terrorist event, we loose a little more of our rights at a time.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:06 AM   #2
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
How many people left that house?

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #3
BigBo

Welcome to Marshall Law. Get used to it. The current administration is getting exactly what they wanted.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
Old 04-24-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
Raven

movin to Bigfoot country
Old 04-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
JohnnyD

About as legal as making everyone prisoners in their own homes for the second time in a few months.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
Nebe

Telling people they can't leave their home is far more different than entering and ripping people out if their homes with out permission or a warrant.
And then to scream at them to keep their arms up like they are criminals?? Totally wrong. If people don't make noise about this, the precident has been set for this to be protocol.

Add to the fact that they are calling those pressure cookers "weapons of mass destruction" which is total BS... A weapon of mass destruction is a bomb or chemical weapon that is capable of killing tens of thousands at a time.

Defending our freedom starts here..but no one gets this.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 04-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #7
striperman36
Old Guy

Didn't they declare a 'state of emergency' for the entire state? anything there allow them to do that
Old 04-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
Nebe

So in a state of emergency, we loose all constitutional rights??
As the Dude said... "this aggression will not stand man.."
Old 04-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #9
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Telling people they can't leave their home is far more different than entering and ripping people out if their homes with out permission or a warrant.
And then to scream at them to keep their arms up like they are criminals?? Totally wrong. If people don't make noise about this, the precident has been set for this to be protocol.

Add to the fact that they are calling those pressure cookers "weapons of mass destruction" which is total BS... A weapon of mass destruction is a bomb or chemical weapon that is capable of killing tens of thousands at a time.

Defending our freedom starts here..but no one gets this.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
buckman

I guess Bush was right
Old 04-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #11
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I guess Bush was right
About what??
Old 04-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #12
FishermanTim

I guess the better option would be to just let the guy go, because he only killed 4 people and seriously maimed and wounded hundreds others.

The video clip only shows them checking one house.
They didn't "kick the door down", the resident opened it.

Maybe they did go from house to house, but of course there was a murdering terrorist on the loose, so I guess maybe they should have waited to get a subpoena and an apology letter from the Governor?

We have one instance where the powers that were exerted were required by the nature of the crime and criminal, and we have the typical knee-jerk response of "we're losing our rights to this and that".

Remember how we were told to stay off the roads during one of our winter disaster storms? Roads were closed many hours before the snow even fell, causing many people to be stranded, and yet no one complained too loudly about that?

Yet we have a very VERY dangerous criminal loose in our city /state, and what do we get? Whining about searches and inconvenience.

Boy, I can imagine the same uproar from the same people if the authorities did nothing to protect the public and the bomber had kiiled many more people. I'm glad we never had to see that side of the equation!

Sure, we've lost quite a few freedoms, but the ones we should be focusing on are the ones we gave away during the last few elections (by voting in losers)!!

I am a legend in my own mind!
Old 04-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #13
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

It was standard operating procedure. Suspect in bombing in neighborhood? Check. Considered armed and dangerous? Check. Need to clear neighborhood of private homes while maintaining the safety of the citizens and the LEOs. This particular house looks like it was inhabited by young adults, maybe college students? I did not see young children, as you would have seen if it were a family. So let's assume it was a bunch of "kids" who were renting that property... They're trapped at home, maybe partying, maybe shacking up, who knows? The team is charged with clearing the house, room by room. Primary pat downs inside are general and incomplete, due to lack of room. They are flushed outside for a more thorough pat down, and must be considered as dangerous until this is completed. That process is by the book, and has cost lives in the past when not followed. Operators are not allowed to make a judgment call on this in the field. All was done in the name of public safety and that area of the Commonwealth was under an emergency order. Not martial law. How would you feel about it if it were your kid, brother, father on that entry team?
Between this and the call about Miranda, the ACLU and others can go eff themselves in another country. As far as saying it must be tens of thousands to be considered a WMD, I won't even dignify that with a reply.... You would be surprised what was discovered in different house searches that was unrelated to this particular operation. You haven't seen public mention of those being prosecuted due to those discoveries not being in the scope of the search. (They will prosecute the guys found to have a pipebomb in their car, though.)
Old 04-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #14
Nebe

The definition of weapon of mass destruction started off as a term for nuclear missiles or bombs, then morphed into chemical weapons/ etc... Weapons for killing entire cities.
a pressure cooker bomb isn't a weapon of mass destruction... Sorry. It's a bomb.

We invaded Iraq because they had "weapons of mass destruction" but we never found any, but there sure was a lot of bombs.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:
Don't get me wrong here, I'm glad they caught the Little chit, but if I owned a house in that neighborhood and the cops kicked down my door and treated me like that, I'd be calling my lawyer.

After every terrorist event, we loose a little more of our rights at a time.

I think the cops could make a very case that they were facing "exigent circumstances". If that's not exigent circumstances, I don't know what is.

Is it better if they didn't shut down the city and go door-to-door? Better to not inconvenience people, and as a result let the guy get away and incinerate another 8 year-old kid?

There's a miniscule percentage of the population that does bad things. If it weren't for these jerks, we could leave our doors open at night. But those maniacs are out there, so we can't.

I see nothing unreasonable with what the cops did. It was an extreme situation which called for extreme measures.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #16
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Semantics, Eben. But just how many hospitals' ERs and trauma units does it take to be maxed out to be considered massive in size of human trauma? No, it wasn't the size of the blast in Texas. But the thread was about our loss of rights.......

Sorry for getting jacked up on this... Musta got lost. Just realized I was in the Political Forum.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #17
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Nebe, I watched the video and as you know I hate govt intervention into my life but what right did you see these people lose? I've had my car searched by cops, had to have my hands in teh air for a routine traffic stop. Big deal. There was a murderer on the loose, the police were going door to door searching for them. Im pretty sure they have the right to search.
Now if they found a big bag of weed on the table, I dont believe they have the right to arrest you. There was no probable cause to search you for weed. The laws are intersestng but I do no think this was unncessary force.

I think you're getting a little paranoid because of that beard you're sportin........

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 04-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #18
Nebe

The rights I see violated are police forcing their way into that house and forcibly removing its occupants.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #19
Jim in CT

Quote:
The rights I see violated are police forcing their way into that house and forcibly removing its occupants.
So the next time there is a terrorist/mass murderer on the loose, we'll all refuse to cooperate with the police. If the terrorist slips away and slaughters someone you care about, you can celebrate the fact that at least you didn't lose any "rights".

Big whoop, they had to leave their house for a minute. That inconvenience doesn't exactly rise to the level of Stalin-esque totalitarianism, does it?
Old 04-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #20
buckman

Quote:
About what??
He wasn't, I was making light of the irony of the charges . I agree with you on this thread though
Old 04-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #21
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
So the next time there is a terrorist/mass murderer on the loose, we'll all refuse to cooperate with the police. If the terrorist slips away and slaughters someone you care about, you can celebrate the fact that at least you didn't lose any "rights".

Big whoop, they had to leave their house for a minute. That inconvenience doesn't exactly rise to the level of Stalin-esque totalitarianism, does it?
Agree. Two bombs injure nearly two hundred. That's not a shooting...

WMD is a legal term and the marathon bombing fits the legal description.

-spence