Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 06-28-2006, 04:18 PM   #31
BEETLE

me - 2 kids - son - 21 an up and coming electrician....
daughter - 19 - still going thru what Jimbo said

I don't see either one leaving until they're in their 30's...

I'll be gone one way or the other before they are it seems..

I feel like i'm runnin a friekin country club at times ....

I just hope my daughter don't get knocked up....

Dude face it it's OVER....
BEETLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:23 PM   #32
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

I don't know? Still trying to figure it out.
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:34 PM   #33
Pete F.
Canceled

One day at a time, We have 5 from eight to eighteen.
We used to say we don't raise them, we herd them.
Actually the second is easier than the first, you have figured out that they are more indestructible than you thought(though in their minds they get more invincible and way smarter than you as teenagers) and you are no longer the sole source of entertainment.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 09:21 PM   #34
Strider
When in doubt....Fish!

IMO.....just take it one day at a time and do the best you can. Look for balance, don't get fired up on the small stuff, there is way too much of that to put you off coarse. I have a son 13 and daughter 10, it's work in process, but it's worth putting the time in.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 06:55 PM   #35
Stewie
Scarecrow

You're going to be surprised how much smiling all the time can hurt your face. You won't believe how slippery the road is or how fast everyone is driving when your child is in the car with you. Hang on, you are in for the most exhilerating ride of your life. At times it will be tough on you, when your baby moves out, you will cry. Treat them just like people. You'll do fine
Stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:28 AM   #36
boot man

With 3 kids (5 yr boy, 2 yr boy, 1 yr girl), you save money on fuel. The joy of a 12 in schoolie at the end of a 2 year old's line is worth more than a 40 lb'er caught by me. We stay on this side of the bay, only in daylight, for 2-3 hours, don't catch much but have a ball anyway.

Cant wait for the boys to be a little older so we can fish together at night.
boot man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:30 AM   #37
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hangin free
7 yr old twins, and I love it

Used hard and put away dirty....
reelecstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:28 PM   #38
The Iceman 6
Here fishy fishy

TDF called it pretty much on the $$$, first few months rough, have 2 daughters ages 4 & 3 - wouldn't change it for the world. Funny to watch their mannerismns as they are yours....

Ice
The Iceman 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:32 PM   #39
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I agree 100% with Dad Fishmerman, I have both kids in the "Messiah" stage right now, 2yrs and 4. Sometimes the cuteness is overwhelming, my son (2) who is potty training, follows me into the toilet and says "Good job Daddy!" when I take a leak. I remember stressing like you but I think nature has away of dealing with it, the first few months were MISERABLE for me. No sleep, constant work, schedule all messed up. Then you get into a groove and it gets better, and by that point you barely remember what your life was like before the baby arrived. So its all uphill from there. AS most said, its a balance. You get to enjoy so many things that you take for granted as an adult all over again. Everything is new, wait until thr first time you turn off thr lights in a room and shine a flashlight, it blew my kids mind. The crawled around trying to catch the light beam. You'll be fine, everyone goes through it, it will test your patience. Pick up a book that just came out - Wisdom of Our Fathers by Tim Russert, you'll realize how important your new job as father is and the rest of the stuff is just details
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:05 PM   #40
Jimbo

Well my daughter and I are getting along again and being reminded of the newness of life's events when the first one comes along reminded me of another classic thing I did. When we first brought her home I was so into being on night shift with her when she woke. It was like a special bonding thing and I loved the sweet smell when you burped them after a bottle. There was one reminder from my wife that whenever I changed her, to remember to use alcohol on a Q-tip around her belly button to keep it clean. Well I was about the best, most diligent belly button wiper there was, until one night my wife woke up and came in by the changing table as I changed her diaper and swabbed her. All of a sudden I thought my wife was crying (the hormones still are out of sync for a while, keep that in the back of your mind). Turns out she had to sit down she was laughing so hard. It seems I mistook the small bottle of mouthwash they gave her in the hospital for rubbing alcohol. This had been going on two weeks I was at it. Well, I'm again constantly reminded of that incident, but I will say, my baby had the nicest smelling navel of 'em all.
BJS - if you don't get on for the baby shower, you have to invest in a Diaper Genie. It may well be the most important piece of changing table equipment you money can buy.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:53 PM   #41
BrianS
Canal Junkie

Send a message via AIM to BrianS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
BJS - if you don't get on for the baby shower, you have to invest in a Diaper Genie. It may well be the most important piece of changing table equipment you money can buy.
Its definitely on the registry, and I beleive its been purchased.

Ill say it again - this is exactly what I needed to remind me and put it into perspective. I appreciate the advice from all of you.

aim: SaltedBrian
BrianS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:56 PM   #42
JoeP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman
Fatherhood is a blast....its not that life is done, its just different.

The 1st couple of months are probably the roughest. You just brought home the little one and the only thing the baby does is Eat, Crap, And Cry, nothing else, and all at the most in-opportune times. It seems that you got no return on your investment.

But then it happens, you get that 1st real smile, not the "I just recycled some Enfamil in my Diaper" Lip Curl but a real Smile. You can see it in their eyes....there you go, there's the return on investment. Its like the most powerful drug you ever had, you will stop at nothing to get a fix of your childs smile...then when they start laughing, Forget about it, You'll be late for work just to get 5 minutes of that in the Morning.

After that for the next 3-4 years you are like the Messiah. Every time you come home you'll hear the running down the hallway and the Screams of "Daddy, Daddy" almost like you just returned from war instead of a day at the office. They'll sit with you while you do everything. That kid will follow you anywhere.....they'd stand next to you while your sitting on the Pot if you'd let them.

Then comes School, Sports, Scouts, Dance and all the other things that will eat up your time, and money....but its well worth it. And you'll do it because your still looking for that "Fix", Your kids smile and happiness. You'll be more excited about the little ones 1st goal than they will be. I'll tell you I see guys complaining about sitting through there Daughters Dance recitals, Me, I love it. She is Smiling Ear to Ear and she is happier than a Surfcaster on a 50.

Its not that You're "Done" your just different. You'll remember things that you had forgotten about when you see your kids doing them. You can come home from the worst day in your life at work and the kids will do something completely off the wall that will have you ROTFLMAO. They can go from Einsten to Curley in a matter of Minutes. They'll Embarass You and Make you Proud all in the same day. If you have a Boy You'll want to see him grow into a fine young Man and if you have a Girl you won't want to see her get any older than 5 (That is the Best age for Girls IMHO). Just enjoy the ride.

You'll see its a lot easier than you think.

Exactly TDF. Great post.

I have 3 boys all below the age of 7 and while its a lot of work (especially when all 3 of the boys are extremely active like mine) it is the best thing that will ever happen to you. I can't put to words the joy they bring (with a little aggravation time to time). Just enjoy it and your worries should take care of themselves with a little care and hard work. Also helps to have a wife who is a saint like mine - dealing with my kids all day.

Last - forget about fishing alot. I get out when I can, while it isn't nearly enough, and while I can't really pick & choose my tides, etc. anymore, there is no other choice.
JoeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:23 PM   #43
gldnbear93

TDF says it well.

RIJIMMY-flashlight games are a blast! we use several different kinds and the kids have a great time with the different beams. build a fort with a card table and blankets give everyone laight and let the games begin.

I am finding that parenthood is whole lot more fun and al ittle less work than I ever thought it would be.

Fishing wise, I go out after the kids are in bed and am usually home before they wake up. I am finding that I actually am fishing more this year than in the past couple of years. I need to get in all the time on the water that I can now, since my wife is having twins in a few weeks and we have a 5 and 2 year old already; I don't think I will get a whole lot of time druing this years fall run.

Go Bears!
gldnbear93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:26 PM   #44
Katie
Scuttlebutt

Send a message via AIM to Katie Send a message via MSN to Katie Send a message via Skype™ to Katie
From a 16 yr olds perspective.. These guys have hit every point...But as the kids get older, i know that i have gotten closer to my parents within these last 2 years then ever.. and it's nice to actually have a conversation about something besides, "how was your day dear?" you can joke a lot more, and understand more.. Well thats how it's been for me so far these past 2 years.. But i have to give kudos to all parents, cause i know i put mine through a lot of s--t when i was between the age of 8 and 12... i was basically almost like a rebelling kid, a lot of trouble in school, bad grades, bad attitude, every parents nightmare.. but I made myself a deal the summer before i started high school.. that i was gonna change and give my parents a break, cause i realized how much of a pain i had been.. now freshmen year of high school i did change, 360 degree turn around.. i was on honors, senior internship for computers.. i was a happy kid.. no more rebelling, suspensions, detentions (well just 1 for being late to class). but every year into high school i've become a better person, more responsible and mature. But this is just my perspective basically.. Younger years, i vaguely remember, they started in tiverton, westport, fall river, and so on.. But enjoy it while he's young, i've heard that those are the years to remember..

-- I'm not so far ahead into school i'm a Junior/Senior... I will be able to graduate early if i want during senior year. but the classes after my early graduation date, those classes will count towards college, for college credits.. So, i've done pretty good turning my life around.. And i've finally made my parents proud.

Wasajigifying -[ was - a - jig-i-fy-ing] - the concept of not knowing what the hell your saying.

My Photography Page!
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:28 PM   #45
partsjay
Let's Rock!

Good Job Katie!
partsjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:02 PM   #46
toddonbi

1 year old baby girl myself. It's amazing to me how quick it goes and how crazy it is at first but absolutley nothing compares to it.

Speaking of non-comparisons-My baby is taking a nap the other day, or so I think-lol. I keep hearing this strange sound and couldn't figure it out. I look around my place and still can't figure it out until I hear my 1 year old start laughing from the other room. Knowing something has had to have gone down I start towards the bedroom when I see what the mystery sounds was. Turns out my beautiful little baby girl ripped a King Kong size sh** and then decided to pull her diaper off and sling it out of her crib and onto the dresser thus launching "debris" everywhere. Alas, this was not enough for her and is where the mystery sounds come in to play. Apparently several baby logs/piles, whatever you want to call this disaster, where held in reserve by her and used as projectiles against the walls and bedroom door...and to her it appeared to be the greatest fun ever had by a baby. It is at this precise moment that my lady walks through the door from work....da,da,da-dum, and issues a strartled howl of horror as she sees me in the room raining poo, poo stuck on the door, poo on the dresser, etc, etc. I put on my best face and declared that I was as startled as she and apparently somebody learned a new trick and proceeded to pick up my baby girl and get her to the shower. Of course my baby was having a blast and of course she had to smile and say "Da, Da," while squeezing my face with her little poo covered hands.
The joys of Fatherhood are unparalleled

Note: In addition to the thingies that hold the diaper shut it might be worth it to get Duck tape for the additional insurance of a diaper staying closed-lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Virginia 12-14-2005 014 (800 x 600).jpg
Views:	129
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	16059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Virginia 12-14-2005 015 (800 x 600).jpg
Views:	119
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	16060  

toddonbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 02:16 PM   #47
smac

Congrats Bud, Dont worry about it. The only thing your going to miss is fishing as much as you would like and even thats temporary. You will have a fishing buddie for life.

In a couple years you will be amazed(and very tired) at the amount of energy kids have. I have two boys and one on the way too. Click image for larger version

Name:	Father's Day-tool box.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	16074
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 03:32 PM   #48
striprman
Wishin' for fishin'

How's this
My oldest kid is 23, a trained machinist with no job. His girlfriend, age 22 (lives at my house) is prego, no job.
My youngest, age 20, High school dropout, no job (hustler)

I'm seperated, divorce pending. Kids pay no rent (they live in the upsairs apartment). Wife kicked me out after I broke my back. She says they pay no rent (my lawery is looking into that, they should have paid her rent, every month, since last December). She said they didn't (she's pocketing my money) By the way, she changed the locks on me (told the lawyer about that too)..
Hows that for a nice family ?
I've been married 32 years (probably not 33)

I'm going to the sherrif next week to have the kids evicted

striprman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 06:47 PM   #49
smac

Man that is rough

I would drop there ass's off at the recruiters office. 15 years later it was the best thing that ever happpend to me.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:16 PM   #50
Nebe

forget about surfcasting in the dead of night.. take up fluke fishing during the day or get a boat and chase fish durring gentleman's hours. i was almost faced with a divorce this spring if i didn't hang up the surf rods for a while........ Kids will change your life and you cant fight it. You will get yoru life back after a while i am told
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:32 PM   #51
striprman
Wishin' for fishin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac
Man that is rough

I would drop there ass's off at the recruiters office. 15 years later it was the best thing that ever happpend to me.
Too many "issues" to even join the army

striprman is offline   Reply With Quote