Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 03-02-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
missing link

CITI BANK CC

just a heads up my card was compromised and their sending out new ones keep track of your charges not only on this card but all
their are HACKERS within an instant have your info times are rough and the minds of the shady ones are very active. ML

" Happy as a clam at high tide "
missing link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
Raven

even 25 cents

that's their check sum

if it works! they go bigger
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

I heard all the city banks are going to be on wheels now .. is that true ?
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #4
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by missing link View Post
just a heads up my card was compromised and their sending out new ones keep track of your charges not only on this card but all
their are HACKERS within an instant have your info times are rough and the minds of the shady ones are very active. ML
This is exactly why I never use my debit card. All my purchases are done on my Credit card and it's paid off at the end of each month. Zero liability on my credit card due to fraud or identity theft, up to $500 liability on my debit card for the same.

I hope you made the discovery without too many headaches.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:51 AM   #5
PaulS

My card was cancelled about 3 weeks ago and a new one w/a different # was sent out about a week later. They said one of their merchant's databases was compromised. There were no fraudulent charges on the card.
PaulS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:13 AM   #6
2na

Mine was 'compromised' for the 2nd time in 2 years. Last year, after having the card for 10+ years, I received a call from them regarding the dreaded unauthorized charges on it. Once I told them the charges weren't mine they transferred me to a fraud guy who was extremely talented at treating me like a friggin red headed stepchild with leprosy. They demanded a notarized statement, signed under the pains and penalties of perjury, attesting to the fact that the charges weren't mine, and wanted me to pay the charged 'until the issue is resolved' (ha). They sent me another card with a new #, which I used once or twice, then put it aside - hadn't used it in about a year because I was so pissed at them. Got a statement last week with a charge on it, called them up. Got some meatball who asked me 3-4 times if I was sure that I didn't make the charge. Lost my mind on him, told him to take the f'n charge of without any more bs and, while you're at it, cancel the f'n thing because your company is f'n incompetent.

I get home last night, two letters from them both dated Feb 22. Letter 1 reads ' As you requested, we have closed your account. It's been a pleasure to have you as a customer and to serve your credit needs.' Letter 2 reads 'We want you back - you've been a valued customer, and we're truly sorry that you recently closed your account with us.' No wonder why these companies are going down the tube.

Johnny, you got it right - that's the only way to use'em. Free short term loan with recourse if there is an issue, and monitor them like a hawk.

(BTW Johnny, nice to see you at Sweet's)

All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing.
2na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
2na

now that I am on a tear, the charge was for $9.11. The meatball at citi wanted me to call them and resolve the issue - for a $9.11 charge that I was absolutely sure that I didn't make. It got better, I googled the phone number for the company that charged me on the statement, and came back with this:

Comments about 8036673922 number:

RAPIDADVERTS.COM AKA DWG Consulting & Services 803-667-3922 is a fake front company that is part of a large group of fraudulent websites processing hijacked card data into cash. The card data fraud laundering operation is ran by a multi year Russian organized crime syndicate, operating from Eastern Europe.

The fake sites are set up exclusively to process stolen card data, and launder the charges into cash. The stolen funds are then wired to various banks in Bulgaria, Latvia, Kyrgstan, and Cyprus. Some of the stolen funds have ended up in the Ukraine.

This Russian organized crime syndicate recruits cyber-mules either through fake job adds, or by targeting online posted resumes at careerbuilders.com, Monster, etc. They masquerade as legitimate software companies from various countries in Europe. The duped cyber-mules are then instructed to set up domestic LLCs / Corps, open a business bank account, and obtain merchant gateway processing services specifically through authorize.net. The crime syndicate manages the associated website and uses the services set up by the cyber-mules to launder hijacked credit cards into cash. Every single charge processed via these sites are from stolen card data. It is estimated that they may process 2 million cards a year, and may have 40 to 50 fraud sites operating at any given time.

If you receive a charge from one of these fraud entities, it is imperative that you report the charge as FRAUDULENT, and cancel and replace the card. They will keep charging it, also, CHECK YOUR PRIOR STATEMENTS for small fraud charges that you may have missed.

Last edited by 2na; 03-03-2009 at 10:03 AM..

All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing.
2na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:25 AM   #8
Joe

Don't use a credit card on Block Island. Lots of summer workers from Eastern Europe who harvest numbers then transmit them to associates back home.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:07 AM   #9
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2na View Post
Johnny, you got it right - that's the only way to use'em. Free short term loan with recourse if there is an issue, and monitor them like a hawk.

(BTW Johnny, nice to see you at Sweet's)
That's exactly why I do it. Take my personal liability out of it. I prefer the false comfort of a small line of defense between my purchases and all the rest of my money.

And 2na, the pleasure was all mine. I'm still talking to people about that wine you brought.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote