Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 07-12-2006, 09:07 AM   #1
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Amorello should be indicted

It was only a couple of weeks ago all the major players in the Big Dig also known as the "big friekin scam" honored fat matt at a luncheon and gave him a large crystal something or other. Pretty cheap payoff for all the funnelled gazillions he sent thier way. Love Romney when he showed up. Started giving it to Amorello hard right in front of everyone, no holds barred. Bigfish this is my 1500th post I'm catching up.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:16 AM   #2
Flaptail

Angry

He isn't the one, he's just a state flunky and right now the scapegoat for Mitt's chance at the big prize. The engineering firm and it's engineer of record and oversight by the same needs serious investigation. Any state funded project under Chapter's 149 or 30B are supposed to have written avdavits from the engineer of record signing off that the work was done in accordance to plans and specifications, subsequent addenda, SK drawings, submittals, re-submittals, approvals thereof and Change order directives. This includes testing reports on all concrete, steel and all other appurtenances related to the work.

Whoever signed off on the quality of the materials and workmanship should be heading for Mexico because they are screwed once they start to really examine the chain of events.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:51 AM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
There will be no indictments (though I think they are warranted). This was an accident caused perhaps through negligence, shoddy work and trying to meet deadlines....personally, from what I saw of the structure on the news......looks like a design flaw the way they had the concrete slab supported on both ends but not on the sides....I am sure they had support cables above but the bulk of the weight along the length of the slab looked as though it was poorly supported! I wonder why they could not have used fiberglass panels above instead of the concrete slabs??? Less expensive, easier to install.....longer lasting, good sound proofer???? Too many cooks stirred this stew to blame any one individual in a criminal negligence/homicide situation. This will play out more in civil court than a criminal arena. Law suits across the board....state, federal, engineers, architects, construction companies....there will be more than enough litigation going around on this one and it will take years! Just a shame that poor woman had to lose her life.

On a side note....glad to see Gov. Romney rush back from his New Hampshire vacation to be there....it happened Monday night at about 11:00 pm and he got back in town over 16 hours after the fact? Shows how much he cares....if he were running for re-election he would have been back toot suite!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:01 PM   #4
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Initial inspections revealed dozens of signs of bolts loosening and other potential failures in the eastbound connector tunnel, part of the main route to Boston's Logan Airport, Turnpike Authority officials and the Big Dig project manager said.

There were trouble spots in the westbound lanes of the tunnel, as well, they said.

"We're evaluating each of these individual sites," Massachusetts Turnpike Authority Chairman Matthew Amorello said. Though he added, "The tunnel system is safe."

uhhhhhhh, the tunnel is safe? reminds me of the mayor in "Jaws", no problems, everyone back in the water
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:34 PM   #5
vineyardblues

LET'S SEE how Mitt's little pet project "Da Fly Over" on the cape does

Mitt for Pres Or a big dope slap !
VB
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:25 PM   #6
Raven

what about sheer strength?

in many types of construction the formula is based on
how many pounds or tons of force will it take to sheer off
the bolt or fastener... i don't see where glue in a hole follows that principle.
I thought of the same thing BF : about why in the hell the ceiling panels had to
be concrete but maybe it's in case of a fire
it has to be a non flamable material.

still the long bolt or rod should of had a L-shape where it hooks
onto a ledge of steel , you'd think-> instead of the design in question.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:35 PM   #7
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
From what I heard,
The area that collapsed had bolts shorter than called for from the plans!
They don't / didn't call it the "Big Swig" for nothing!!!
(as in all the frigin workers who sat in the bar rooms all day when they were supposed to be on the job!!!

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:58 PM   #8
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineyardblues
Suppoedly, they're ahead of schedule

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:15 PM   #9
gone fishin

I am not only concerned with the bores and infrastucture of the tunnels, but am really worried about the Lenny Zakum suspension bridge. If you recall there was some problems with the spans when they were joining them. I am concerned that they took shortcuts on the brige. If that fails there will be more than one death. i reside on the north of Beantown and use the roads effected to travel to the ole fishing holes most every day. Now I travel the extra 20 some odd miles via the 128 ( 95) route to get to the South shore.

A common joke about the leaks in the tunnel was that the girlscouts were going to have a splash party and invite all to attend.

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:25 AM   #10
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

VB at least the flyover is mostly dirt and above ground! Wait till the build the chunnel under the canal. And what Ronnie said about the drinking on the job, oh boy. And what Flaptail said about engineers signing off on the work that creates a ceiling that criminals charges wont penetrate as high as Amorello. Amarello is in charge of those engineers. I would have liked to see them standing where the work was performed, so they actually new is was done to minimum standards. The engineers in the field couldn't have possibly been everywhere to have overseen everything they were in charge of.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 07-13-2006, 12:06 PM   #11
gone fishin

That tunnel had so many delays the engineers and consultants had plenty of time to do it right. There was a lack of oversight and shoddy materials and workmanship was overlooked. I notced that the feds are now deeply involved, FBI investigators are there digging for answers also.

If you think a lawsuit will pay for the mistakes. you are dreaming, we the taxpayers will pay pay pay and pay some more.

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:21 PM   #12
clambelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineyardblues

Mitt for Pres Or a big dope slap !

VB
next to my wedding day, the day the bulldoze that rotary will be the happiest day of my life.
clambelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:55 PM   #13
vineyardblues

Well maybe I am crazy...Trush me on that one
But I still see a long line of cars getting off the cape or shall I say "flying" off the cape up 95.... WHat about the 20 million cars who take 495 ? And good old 2 lane rt 6 backup...And a back up going on the cape from 495..... gee I sure hope I am wrong
I won't belive it until I see it.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:09 PM   #14
vineyardblues

And kind of funny how they just built a ROTARY in Harwitch to slow people down so they won't kill them self..
Old 07-13-2006, 08:54 PM   #15
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

They need to bulldoze the awesome landscaping job cape side of the bourne bridge. Increase traffic flow doing that for sure.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 07-13-2006, 08:55 PM   #16
Raven

Thumbs down did ya

see him today? dressed in the suit acting like ->a govenor

and then he says:..... it won't re=open until
driving "on" the tunnel is safe.... doh

i thought he said it was already safe....
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote