Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-21-2019, 07:31 PM   #31
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Did you? I took a bit more than three seconds. And Found that Pete's quote, by selective editing, implies the exact opposite of what Atwater was saying. Typical leftist, lying trick.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archiv...really-say.php
And you found someone’s opinion
There are opposite opinions also, so citing a right wing opinion doesn’t make it true
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-21-2019, 07:39 PM   #32
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Interesting that you would choose who to vote for because of something someone said 30 plus years ago

No, what I said was that if I choose to vote for someone that has an "R" next to their name, Pete thinks that person is a racist, and by extension, I am a racist, because Pete's quoting Atwater 50 years ago.

Atwater didn't post on this board that Republican's are racist, but you did.

"Don't believable everything you read on the Internet."

~ Abraham (a Republican so therefore must be a racist) Lincoln

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 07-21-2019, 07:54 PM   #33
Pete F.
Canceled

John if you decide that you are a racist in theory because I posted a quote from 38 years ago it’s pretty much a true indicator that Republicans have adopted identity politics as their mantra.
Read Trump’s tweets and follow them in a historical context. You’ll see the game he plays.
http://www.trumptwitterarchive.com/
Trump will lose
He’ll lose because people are just plain tired of him. Tired of his drama. Tired of his meanness. Tired of his whining & complaining, day after day.

He’ll lose because people are tired of having a bratty child in the White House.
He is not a good man.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:16 PM   #34
Pete F.
Canceled

This time next year we’ll be looking back on his racist tweets about the 4 members of Congress and thinking that was nothing compared to what happened between now and then.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:13 PM   #35
detbuch

Quote:

I found three articles (one of which I posted) which gave the fuller transcripts of the interview and/or a link to a recording of the full interview. Every time "Liberals" quote that passage from the interview that you posted, they leave out the significant sentence that follows it. Why is that? Why do they consistently do that?

I also listened to the interview. Atwater's contention throughout the interview was that race had no longer become an important issue in Southern politics, and that what had happened was that what had evolved as the winning issues in the South were economics and national defense. That was the strategy he used for the Reagan campaign. What begins your edited quote "you start out in 1954 by saying nigger, nigger, nigger" was not a Republican campaign strategy. Atwater said it was how campaigning was done in the South in 1954, especially by Democrats. And from that very specific, concrete, approach, strategies got more "abstract," less specifically racial, until his Reagan campaign removed the racial element, coded or otherwise, and focused on economics and national defense.

He also predicted correctly that this strategy would make the Republican Party competitive in the South (before which Republicans were basically non-existent).

There are opposite opinions also, so citing a right wing opinion doesn’t make it true
What do you mean by "opinion"? I listened to the interview. I read fuller portions of the transcript. I noted that the very tiny portion of the interview that you quoted not only left out the next sentence, but a whole lot else as well. Including Atwater's "opinion" about what he was actually saying. I'm guessing he would know that better than left wing "opinions" would.

So citing a left wing opinion doesn't make it true. On the contrary, from what I see, the left wing opinion uses the time-honored technique of lying by omission.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:14 PM   #36
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
John if you decide that you are a racist in theory because I posted a quote from 38 years ago it’s pretty much a true indicator that Republicans have adopted identity politics as their mantra.
Read Trump’s tweets and follow them in a historical context. You’ll see the game he plays.
Trump will lose
He’ll lose because people are just plain tired of him. Tired of his drama. Tired of his meanness. Tired of his whining & complaining, day after day.

He’ll lose because people are tired of having a bratty child in the White House.
He is not a good man.

I won't. Because I am not a racist.

I know what I believe in, which is good people from both sides trying to make this place work. I called you out because you did what so many do, even before the Ahabish chase of the Orange Whale.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 07-21-2019, 10:14 PM   #37
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Is this the case for both sides of the aisle. Because your a one trick pony in this game.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 07-21-2019, 10:17 PM   #38
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Trump will lose

He is not a good man.size=1]Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device[/size]
Using your logic then you will also lose. There is nobody who whines and complains more on a daily basis. Think about it.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 07-21-2019, 10:32 PM   #39
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

Dogs are man's best friend by the way. Same goes for women.
ummm....no, I'm pretty sure beer is man's best friend

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 07-22-2019 at 04:54 AM..
Old 07-22-2019, 06:44 AM   #40
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
What Pete implied was that The Republican Party is backhandedly subjugating Black people, ergo Racists. And if you support the Republican party you are actively and/or passively Racist. Because Atwater (in many, many ways a Jerk) said that since the N word is verboten, the Rs will just need to economically shackle Black people. Like Joe Biden said, "Those Republicans wanna Putchya Back in Chains".

This is great, by this logic, we need to raise the Debt Limit and keep borrowing and spending so that EVERYONE will be an economic slave. Parity At Last.

I will need to remember that when I am at the polls and picking between Ds and Rs (I do both BTW) and remember when I pick "R" that Pete is calling me a racist.
that’s exactly what he said, good you called
him out on it.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:55 AM   #41
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
that’s exactly what he said, good you called
him out on it.
No Way, according to Spence nobody took the 3 seconds to understand it.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."