Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-13-2006, 05:44 PM   #1
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Flammables---

I've been cleaning out the cellar for the past few weeks and can't believe how many flammables we work with. The gas water heater cycling on and off along with my wife using the dryer reminded me how much open flame is down there.

Several years ago a guy workin on his motorcycle in the basement leaked some gas, which ran under the water heater. Needles to say, as Tagger would say, "you'll blow yourself up," as he did along with his house.

Just for what it's worth.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 06:15 PM   #2
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

I got three open flames here..gas water heater,,dryer ,, furnace,, crossed my mind a couple of times when i thought I was pushing it with the fumes .. just waiting for the flash .. not worth it ... broke down and bought a spray booth .. all goes outside now ..

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 06:51 PM   #3
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

gotta have the big fire ext. handy.

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 07:26 PM   #4
Backbeach Jake

Talking

Hope your reflexes are real quick, FF. They don't call them flash fires for nuttin'! Being a bodyman, I bet ya seen a couple. I sure have.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 07:36 PM   #5
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

ask me how to prime start an old jeep comanche carb with a cup of laquer thinner

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 09:40 PM   #6
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Red face

Tried to lube a running eletric motor belt with silicone spray one time.

Back draft

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:07 PM   #7
Striperknight
Plug Paladin

I worked with a guy who was cleaning his mower in a basement with gas. The hot water heater kicked on and the flash exploded the gas. the mower, every aerolsol can in his basement. He told me the entire basement floor had 3ft of flame. He got out the cellar door and put himself out by rolling in dirt. He survived but had to have multiple skin graphs to both legs. His house almost burned to the ground.
Striperknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:47 AM   #8
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Years ago there was a guy at Modern Continental Co that used to prime his wood stove with ether/starting fluid. Stupid did it one day while I was putting an antenna on the roof of a pickup.. Friggin wood stove was on the other side of the truck and he blew me off the roof. I will never forget the flames coming straight at me. What a idiot.
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:55 AM   #9
Backbeach Jake

I know it ain't funny, Scott, but I can't stop laughing at the little movie in my head...sorry

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Old 01-14-2006, 09:57 AM   #10
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

Gasoline fumes rise to approx. 17.5 "high. That's why when you see a water heater in garage it's usually raised up off the floor to a minimum of 18" to the base.
If you are using gasoline in the house you have a bomb at the first 17.5 inches of the entire floor space. It's not a matter of if it's a matter of when you are going to blow yourself up!

I saw a demo once where some guy was cleaning something on the 3rd floor with gasoline. That very same gas (fumes) settled down the stairways into the the cellar and was ignited by the oil burner! That was pretty much it for his house!!

Becareful guys!
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:31 PM   #11
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Fred I still laugh and shake my head to this day....at how stooopid that guy was. And I watched him do it....he also had this habit of leaving the front open and stuffing 8' long pallets into it whiloe they burned down...and out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake
I know it ain't funny, Scott, but I can't stop laughing at the little movie in my head...sorry
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:15 PM   #12
MAC

Back in 1992 I was working at Ellsworth AFB in S.D. as a crane operator. We were putting in a pipeline for JP-4 jetfuel (all stainless). I was working with the fitters swinging pipe. Well it was boring except for this one day. I picked a 40' stick of 18" pipe and put it in the rack for the fitter. I would then sit there and wait until he finished making his cut and then pick it off the rack and repeat the process. The pipe had a yellow plastic coating held to the pipe with some sort of tar material. The fitter would heat the tar with a weed burner then clean it off with gasoline. So I am sitting 50' away watching him work. mark his cut, peel the plastic them heat the tar. After it cooled slightly he would pour gasoline over the pipe and scrape the tar off. Well he puts the weedburner aside and pours the gas. (weedburner had a built in pilot) Well you can guess what happened next. I heard a "poof" then watched a blanket of fire 10' by 10' engulf the fitter and the pipe. I jumped out of the crane and grabbed the fire extinguisher off the side putting the fire out. The only thing that saved the fitter from serious injury was that he was wearing full leathers and the gas can was a safety can. After putting the fire oput there was a little flame still coming out of the gas can spout like an oil lamp. So it got the last shot from the extinguisher. If that had been a Jerry Jug things would have probably turned out differently.
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:43 PM   #13
NIB

There was this kid when i was growin up kinda a freak.We usta make him light his farts.Til he burnded his gonads pretty good.Then we couldn't get him to do it anymore.
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 09:36 PM   #14
dickmont
Mongerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB
There was this kid when i was growin up kinda a freak.We usta make him light his farts.Til he burnded his gonads pretty good.Then we couldn't get him to do it anymore.
jezze nib where do you get this stuff. i'm howlin'
dickmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:32 AM   #15
Backbeach Jake

Anyone know what gets coffee out of a keyboard?

Thomas Paine
Old 01-15-2006, 09:59 AM   #16
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake
Anyone know what gets coffee out of a keyboard?
Gasoline!
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:04 AM   #17
Backbeach Jake

Talking

Before after It works! Thanks Bill!

Thomas Paine