Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 03-24-2006, 06:47 AM   #1
Clogston29
xxx

Bristol!

Alright, screw adam going to the colts and all the meaningless stuff, Bristol is finally here. First short track of the season and I can't wait for Sunday, or Saturday for that matter. Any predictions. I'm gonna go with, and yes emotion is coming into, Harvick because I need him to win this month and this is probably his best shot. If he wins maybe it'll be enough to sway him to resign w/ RCR. I really don't want to see him in a Toyota next year. I'd love to see Mark Martin or Bobby Labonte win if the 29 can't. THis should be a great weekend, MSBA on Saturday morning then a whole lot of bump'n and bang'n.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Clogston29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:17 AM   #2
luds
Night Stalker

Yeah baby!

I'm very exceited about Bristol. I've jumped on the Jeff Burton wagon. It was great seeing him win that Bush race. It's fun to root for him and RCR to get to a level where they can battle it out with Hendrick and RCR.

Also looking forward to watching Johnson win again.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:46 AM   #3
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

i lived within 400 yards of bristol every summer since i was little. used to go spend the summers with my grandparents down there. we used to sell the front yard parking 20 bucks a car.it brought a lot of money to the town. the best was thunder valley dragway on the weekends. my GOD!! you never heard a noise so loud for 5 seconds before anywhear!!!!. it would echo off the mountains and you could hear it 10 miles away.
lotta old school monte carlos all over the town when they used to flatbed the cars in before these humungus tractor trailers nowadays.
good times back then seen a LOTTA races there... walked the trac many times they never locked the place up back then.

those banks are steep

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
basswipe

Bristol's a blast.Best track in Nascar IMO.

Qualifying got rained/snowed out.They still line up by points but they go by last years final standings.I don't like that at all.They should do it the way they've always done it,line up current points.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:07 PM   #5
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingfreak
i lived within 400 yards of bristol every summer since i was little. used to go spend the summers with my grandparents down there. we used to sell the front yard parking 20 bucks a car.it brought a lot of money to the town. the best was thunder valley dragway on the weekends. my GOD!! you never heard a noise so loud for 5 seconds before anywhear!!!!. it would echo off the mountains and you could hear it 10 miles away.
lotta old school monte carlos all over the town when they used to flatbed the cars in before these humungus tractor trailers nowadays.
good times back then seen a LOTTA races there... walked the trac many times they never locked the place up back then.

those banks are steep
It must be cool for you to see how much that track has grown over the years.

Old 03-25-2006, 03:07 PM   #6
luds
Night Stalker

Anyone else pulling for Steven Wallace today?

Old 03-25-2006, 03:30 PM   #7
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by luds48
Anyone else pulling for Steven Wallace today?

Friggin Scott Riggs

Old 03-25-2006, 09:28 PM   #8
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by luds48
Friggin Scott Riggs
That was a downer.But when you look at the replay......its 750hp cars in a fishbowl.

Bristol is the best racing of the year.Can't wait till tomorrow.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:25 PM   #9
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe
That was a downer.But when you look at the replay......its 750hp cars in a fishbowl.

Bristol is the best racing of the year.Can't wait till tomorrow.
You're right but I like to point fingers at Bristol. It's part of the fun.

Old 03-25-2006, 10:41 PM   #10
basswipe

That snow delay was a freakin riot!I don't think I've ever had more fun goofing on drivers especially Mikey Waltrip!

Today was just an all around great day.I should actually go back to the show tomorrow and then came back home and watch racing again!
Old 03-26-2006, 09:40 AM   #11
Clogston29
xxx

The busch race was great - would have heen even better if harvick could have gotten to the shrubs bumper on the last lap. Can't wait for the cup race today. I love the fact that the bump and run (not the wreck and run) was used so much in the busch race and hope to see even more of it today. "Tell the 5 that I don't want to hear a peep out of him" - I'm not a big fan of Kenseth but that was pretty damn funny when he said that.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Old 03-26-2006, 01:52 PM   #12
basswipe

Just about "show time"!

Gotta love that place.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:38 PM   #13
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

This is like a demolition Derby!!!!!
Something wrong on that track. Too many tires going down.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 05:42 PM   #14
luds
Night Stalker

TRUEX

Welcome to Cup!

Old 03-26-2006, 06:38 PM   #15
basswipe

I have never been prouder of Jeff mother effin Gordon than I was today!

For the 1st time in 12+ seasons he finally stood up for himself and told that gay rookie Truex to eff-off and just plain gave that puss Kenseth a good shove.

Now with all that being said I don't believe Truex is gay or that Kenseth is a puss but mother f****er they both deserved what Gordon said about them!

I LOVE SHORT TRACK RACING!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2006, 09:18 AM   #16
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

Wow I don't watch Nascar but that was the best race I have ever seen. Lots of crashes, bumping and fighting. I loved the Gordon shove next time take off the helmet. Kenseth's face was priceless.
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:14 AM   #17
striperman36
Old Guy

The snow on Saturday was cool too!!!
And we got some night racing in too!!!

Did you see the dude get the UPS back bumper??? Nice.

What was Rusty doing as a commentar at the IRL race?

Jeff is still a wimp.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 03:14 PM   #18
redneck24
WTF

go jeff

diamondbanger
redneck24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 04:49 PM   #19
basswipe

I'm curious as to why absolutely no action has been taken against the 1 team for the use of inappropriate language(Truex's spotter calling Gordon a $h!thead).Anytime this has happened in the past a penalty has been levied.

Oh thats right the last time a penalty was levied for innappropriate language it was against the 8 team and proved so unpopular with the 8 fans and with Jr. being half owner of the 1 car and all I guess Nascar just decided to look the other way.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:35 PM   #20
basswipe

I understand Gordon's $10,000 fine for the shove but still no mention of Truex's spotter.

And once again Nascar's self appointed safety/morality policeman Jeff Burton had to chime in and chirp how Gordon intentionally wrecked Truex and how Gordon expects some special treatment on the matter.ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!Burton's got his head up his backside making a dumbass comment like that.If Burton wants to see special treatment he should break out his calculator and subtract 16 from 24 and get back to me on drivers "expecting" special treatment!

Last edited by basswipe; 03-28-2006 at 05:42 PM..
Old 03-29-2006, 06:32 AM   #21
Clogston29
xxx

I think it would be very unfair if they do anything to truex's crew cheif for the swearing incident. Fox should be fined for not cutting it out - that's their responsibility. It was done over the radio, not in an interview (assuming that we're talking about the same incident, and I think it was Bono, not the spotter). They play alot on incar audio with profanity bleeped out. I don't think its fair to police what's said on the radio because that gets put on TV without the teams knowledge.

Old 03-29-2006, 06:34 AM   #22
redneck24
WTF

Quote:
I'm curious as to why absolutely no action has been taken against the 1 team for the use of inappropriate language(Truex's spotter calling Gordon a $h!thead).Anytime this has happened in the past a penalty has been levied.

Oh thats right the last time a penalty was levied for innappropriate language it was against the 8 team and proved so unpopular with the 8 fans and with Jr. being half owner of the 1 car and all I guess Nascar just decided to look the other way.

diamondbanger
redneck24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:35 AM   #23
Clogston29
xxx

From Jayski:

Why #1 Crew Chief not fined: FOX Sports used the same excuse for profanity creeping into Sunday's broadcast of the Nextel Cup race at Bristol Motor Speedway as CBS did for Janet Jackson's breast being exposed during halftime of Super Bowl XXXVIII. Equipment malfunction. "We've talked to FOX Sports and they told us there was a malfunction, that it wasn't deliberate,'' NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter said Tuesday. "They told us there's some sort of system in play where there's a delay. For whatever reason, it didn't work. They assured us they're looking at ways to make sure that doesn't reoccur.'' The incident occurred when the in-car radio conversation between crew chief Kevin Manion and his driver, Martin Truex., Jr., was broadcast. Manion was caught using the same word that earned driver Dale Earnhardt Jr. a $10,000 fine and the loss of 25 points two years ago at Talladega Superspeedway. Hunter said Manion was not fined because "this was a glitch that occurred.''(NASCAR.com)(3-29-2006)

Old 03-29-2006, 07:29 PM   #24
seabass
umm,the juicy sweets!!!!!

Well, at least it was true

Make it idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot.
seabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:12 PM   #25
basswipe

There's one major differance between Janet's boob and this weeks race and that is the 5 second delay.It has been in affect since the boob.
The "censors" at Fox were sleeping at the wheel but that's not a reasonable excuse.Why?

One of the major differances between Nascar and all other sports is that crew to driver conversations can be intercepted by a scanner and that's why the innappropriate language rule as defined by Nascar was adopted.Simply put no exceptions,well except in this case obvisiously.
Geez I wonder why Nascar would allow that?

The 1 team should be fined $10,000 and 25 driver points just like any other team would be penalized.Period.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:08 AM   #26
Clogston29
xxx

Then shouldn't teams be fined for swearing over the radio even if it doesn't get put on TV, they'd have to fine the whole field every week almost? Personally, I just think that this is Fox's fault and that they need to be more careful. Junior was different because he did it in an interview that was meant for TV, although I still don't think he should have lost points.

Old 03-31-2006, 06:14 PM   #27
Jenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogston29
Personally, I just think that this is Fox's fault and that they need to be more careful. Junior was different because he did it in an interview that was meant for TV, .
Exactly...an interview MEANT for tv is way different than teams talking on the radio....you CHOOSE to listen to that on the scanner than thats not their problem and if they want to air it on tv then they have plenty of time to "bleep" it out...that is on the networks shoulders if you ask me.

oh and I dont care if its DEI, Rousch, or whoever!!!!!!

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 07:18 PM   #28
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn
Exactly...an interview MEANT for tv is way different than teams talking on the radio....you CHOOSE to listen to that on the scanner than thats not their problem and if they want to air it on tv then they have plenty of time to "bleep" it out...that is on the networks shoulders if you ask me.

oh and I dont care if its DEI, Rousch, or whoever!!!!!!
Don't get me wrong I agree it should be on the networks shoulders but the networks broadcast crew to driver transmissions,which means live tv hence the 5 second rule set by the FCC.Nascar itself has set the policy about inappropriate language.Basically what it comes down to is this:if the language gets broadcasted the team gets penalized.This is the modern era you can't use foul language even on crew to driver radio transmissions.

The 1 team violated the rule and the penalty should have been enforced. There's only one reason it wasn't...Nascar itself.Nascar does not want to be in an unfavorable position especially when it comes to the opinion of the majority of fans.Period.

This is a good read: http://www.nascar.com/2006/news/head...lle/index.html

But I digress its Martinsville weekend and we all know JG's gonna win provided Truex can control himself.

Last edited by basswipe; 04-01-2006 at 07:06 AM..
Old 04-01-2006, 02:34 PM   #29
Clogston29
xxx

Quote:
But I digress its Martinsville weekend and we all know JG's gonna win provided Truex can control himself.
I wonder if Martin learned his lesson about playing around with the big boys last weekend when Tony put him in the wall. I love when their are two short track races in a row. And Jimmy Spencer is running on Sunday also. Should be a good one.

Old 04-02-2006, 10:19 AM   #30
Jenn

[QUOTE=basswipe.Nascar itself has set the policy about inappropriate language.Basically what it comes down to is this:if the language gets broadcasted the team gets penalized.

QUOTE]

Are you saying that only broadcasted stuff should be penalized? That wouldn't be fair at all. If they are going to penalize then they should listen to all radio communication for all teams and go that route. Why should a particular team get ruled against just because their stuff was broadcast and another team may have said the same things but not penalize because it didnt get broadcast. Thats not fair...???

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote