Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 11-05-2018, 06:02 AM   #31
chris L

Thanks Dennis . Was very dangerous surf over the weekend , Tried Friday night to no avail . Was nonexistant around the island with all the rough water . Saturday didnt fish at all and Sunday was family day . I saw you driving past the 1661 after you got off ferry . Was a great family weekend without much fishing . We had a blast !
Good luck thos week

Eben
Found an orb after just 10 minutes of searching at Rodmans Hollow . #257 2018 behind stone sign at trail intersection . It will be registered .
It is an awesome project ! Everyone in my group (7) were looking everywhere we went . Everyone was so into looking for them . Got a couple people out looking who may never have walked the island before . Even I went on trails I never knew of . Most people staying at the 1661 were out looking for them . At the end of the day notes were shared with each other . Was an awesome time !
Thank You

My daughters talked to a Lady in the red , right, return . She was very informative and very nice . They enjoyed chatting with her .

Chris

Last edited by chris L; 11-05-2018 at 06:03 PM..
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:09 PM   #32
dannyplug1

The real question is what happened to the runs of big sand eels that brought the bass to the block in November? Dennis when you go to block do you see sand eels or are they gone like the bass?
dannyplug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:34 AM   #33
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

I haven't seen the big sand eels on the Block in more than 10 or 12 years.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:47 AM   #34
Linesider82

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris L View Post
Thanks Dennis . Was very dangerous surf over the weekend , Tried Friday night to no avail . Was nonexistant around the island with all the rough water . Saturday didnt fish at all and Sunday was family day . I saw you driving past the 1661 after you got off ferry . Was a great family weekend without much fishing . We had a blast !
Good luck thos week

Eben
Found an orb after just 10 minutes of searching at Rodmans Hollow . #257 2018 behind stone sign at trail intersection . It will be registered .
It is an awesome project ! Everyone in my group (7) were looking everywhere we went . Everyone was so into looking for them . Got a couple people out looking who may never have walked the island before . Even I went on trails I never knew of . Most people staying at the 1661 were out looking for them . At the end of the day notes were shared with each other . Was an awesome time !
Thank You

My daughters talked to a Lady in the red , right, return . She was very informative and very nice . They enjoyed chatting with her .

Chris
That's awesome, I always look for them too.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:15 AM   #35
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris L View Post
Good luck thos week

Eben
Thank You

Chris
That’s awesome !! Honestly, I did not have much hope for you in finding one. The last batch was hidden on Columbus Day weekend.
That was Judy at red right return. She is one of the nicest, coolest people I know out there.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:46 AM   #36
DZ

I still haven't found one of the orbs. Eben you need to make glass plugs and hide them in the wrack line so I can find one

Sand eels on Block are generally not always noticeable. When you see them washed up there is generally a reason. Plenty of small fish out here so there is some kind of bait present.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:20 PM   #37
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
I still haven't found one of the orbs. Eben you need to make glass plugs and hide them in the wrack line so I can find one

Sand eels on Block are generally not always noticeable. When you see them washed up there is generally a reason. Plenty of small fish out here so there is some kind of bait present.
Looks like the report says it all. It is the same everywhere. Lots of small fish.

2 years of Canal slaughter and EEZ abuse along with the biomass sitting in the SW Ledge during the Summer may have something to do with it.
There have been a few decent fish in NJ and Maryland. Not so much on LI. That's what my pipeline has been telling me.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:54 PM   #38
Pete F.
Canceled

I wouldn't feel it's necessary to go to Block right now.
With this moon I'd be parking by a tennis court at 11pm and fishing in the river till the tide flooded the bar.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:46 PM   #39
puppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
With this moon I'd be parking by a tennis court at 11pm and fishing in the river till the tide flooded the bar.
I am not even a local but know where you are talking about...you may end up with a zombie apocalypse of casters.....hahaha..if anyone still reads these forums.

Another reason to hit block instead. No one there...and so much nicer than battling zombies.
puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:43 PM   #40
chris L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
That’s awesome !! Honestly, I did not have much hope for you in finding one. The last batch was hidden on Columbus Day weekend.
That was Judy at red right return. She is one of the nicest, coolest people I know out there.
If they were where I was looking I would have found one . We looked under everything in every tree around and in the walls . It was a lot of fun went to places on the island that dont have fish . Thats only the 2nd time I have done that . Even had 2 50+ mothers searching with enthusiasm !
My daughter and I are going back in the spring so she can have one . I gave mine to my daughter who is getting married at the end of the month , So she can remember the special weekend at the block .

Thank You

Chris , Alex , Jess and Patty
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:08 PM   #41
Nebe

Congrats on your daughters wedding !!!
Old 11-07-2018, 11:53 AM   #42
ivanputski
Pete K.

Last real massive sand eel bite at block i remember was August 2007
... There may have been others I missed, but august 2007 was just ridiculous
the number of fish I caught. I was making 2-3 trips per week
ivanputski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:38 PM   #43
Rob Rockcrawler

I gotta check my logs but I’m 99% sure it was 07 that I slayed fish for a week out there in either late October or November. Sand eels on the beach most nights. Needle fish and red gills. Most fish were right about keeper size and fat along with a handful of 20lbers. Me and my buddies are always talking about that week. The last late season really successful trip we had.
Rob Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:56 AM   #44
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post

I'd fish the downside thru the "bump".

Old 11-10-2018, 04:59 AM   #45
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post

I'd fish the downside thru the "bump".
I’ve been trying, but to no avail. But as Back Beach so eloquently puts it, “You gotta take your skunkings like man.” I’ve been taking the skunk all week looking for that lone slob
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:15 AM   #46
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
I’ve been trying, but to no avail. But as Back Beach so eloquently puts it, “You gotta take your skunkings like man.” I’ve been taking the skunk all week looking for that lone slob
Try the BonView.. tide flips every morning at 1:30 am.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:20 AM   #47
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Quote:
Try the BonView.. tide flips every morning at 1:30 am.

Oh I post up there then wait for a wounded deer to appear
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:07 PM   #48
DZ

Today on Block - purple flag is flying:
What's a surfcaster to do on Block when the gales are blowing 35 from the west? Go casting! Bucktail water produced enough bass to allow us both the privilege of having ice cream and Captain's Daughter (the beer) tonight our last night on island. Extreme weather on this island often brings surprises - this time I was surprised that I could see this enormous water life form swimming right toward us on the jetty. At first I thought it was a huge seal but soon it was obvious it wasn't as it was porpoising every few seconds and had a back fin - then I thought shark and jumped back off my rock as it came crashing into the breakwall headfirst right at my feet! It was approximately 6 -8 feet long and maybe 300-400 pounds as it took a pounding in the rocks. It's blunt nose was all red and I wondered if it was blood. I wallowed there for about a minute before another wave took it back out after getting pounded. Not long enough to get my camera buried in my jacket. Very sad to see something that large obviously is distress and disoriented. We're not marine biologists and were wondering what this was - it had a rounded nose and head so it wasn't a typical flipper porpoise - maybe a small whale of some type. Either way just another amazing moment on an island that has provided so many to me over the years.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:53 PM   #49
ivanputski
Pete K.

The ocean always seems to show us something new, and anything is possible... Thats what both fascinates me and terrifies me about it at the same time, and keeps me coming back.
ivanputski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:04 AM   #50
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Great post Dennis.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:01 AM   #51
Nebe

Sounds like a pilot whale, Dennis.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:39 PM   #52
Guppy
User

Quote:
Sounds like a pilot whale, Dennis.
This
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:20 AM   #53
Rob Rockcrawler

It’s not After thanksgiving but a pic popped up on my Facebook from 4 years ago with a 20lber with a green needle in its lip from block island. Last night driving home on the pike in that crappy weather I couldn’t help but think about fishing block island at that time snow at all
Rob Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote