Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-12-2018, 06:33 PM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

Beware, fellow plutocrats, the pitchforks are coming

A succinct explanation by a successful and avowed capitalist of why wealth inequality will make our system fail and some ways to avoid the pitchforks.

https://youtu.be/q2gO4DKVpa8

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-13-2018, 08:47 AM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Because the Mob will always overthrow the next leaders.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 12-13-2018, 09:28 AM   #3
Jim in CT

If his wealth is "obscene" as he says, why does he cling to it? What's stopping him from giving it away?

He's also wrong when he says that everyone who isn't a plutocrat, is falling further behind. I'm not in the top 1%, not even close, but I'm not falling behind, either. My net worth isn't increasing as fast as his, but it's not decreasing.

He is also speculating wildly when he says that unless we address income inequality, that we will turn into 18th century France.

Pete, we have discussed this. I asked you many times, and you didn't answer, this key question...what has this guy taken form anybody? How has his wealth, caused anyone else's poverty?

He talks about all the benefits of increasing wages, and there may well be benefits. Not one word about the increased costs that come with higher wages.

Pete, go to your local pizzeria, and ask the owner why he doesn't pay his bus boy and cashier, $45,000 a year.

I agree with you Pete, that this guy's wealth isn't fair. Where you and I disagree, is that I don't think his wealth is hurting anybody. I can't fathom how anyone would necessarily better off, if this guy stopped making money after he accumulated, say, $1M.

If he wants to donate his wealth to the needy, he can amazing good by doing so.

But I see no evidence that he took anything from anybody, I see no evidence that his wealth is the cause of anyone else's poverty. Do you?
Old 12-13-2018, 04:10 PM   #4
detbuch

Raising costs (wages) is the flip side of raising prices.

As well, controlling wages is the flip side of price control.

The flip side of each has opposite distorting affect on the signals the market needs to make the proper calculations of production and investment phases.

One flip side can produce overproduction, with ensuing drops in prices, loss of revenue and businesses going bankrupt. The other can produce underproduction, scarcity, and inflated prices, and loss of wage buying power.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:47 PM   #5
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Jesus, Pete. You make my head explode.... How about some fishing contribution???? A little discussion, ok. But come on.... You alone have initiated 71 threads this year in the Political Forum.... Maybe you should go to a political site.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:19 PM   #6
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Pete,

watch this youtube instead and learn from history and see that we seem to elect politicians who only care about themselves and don't learn from history.

Here is a businessman who was widely mocked but knew a lot. We could have eliminated the national debt if he were elected and I am certain of that. NAFTA would not have had a chance.
But we are left with the struggles of the middle class and all the problems that have gone on in the recent past.
I think it can be fixed, it's not too late but keep supporting the wrong people and the ship will sink.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:32 PM   #7
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Jesus, Pete. You make my head explode.... How about some fishing contribution???? A little discussion, ok. But come on.... You alone have initiated 71 threads this year in the Political Forum.... Maybe you should go to a political site.....
Old 12-14-2018, 04:54 AM   #8
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
Pete,

watch this youtube instead and learn from history and see that we seem to elect politicians who only care about themselves and don't learn from history.

Here is a businessman who was widely mocked but knew a lot. We could have eliminated the national debt if he were elected and I am certain of that. NAFTA would not have had a chance.
But we are left with the struggles of the middle class and all the problems that have gone on in the recent past.
I think it can be fixed, it's not too late but keep supporting the wrong people and the ship will sink.

it's not too late but keep supporting the wrong people and the ship will sink.

To late the wrong guy already has the Job .. ( he's no Ross Perot ) Rumor is he's going to write everyone a check if they don't speak up against him and sign a NDA
Old 12-14-2018, 05:50 AM   #9
scottw

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hqdefault.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	65839  
Old 12-14-2018, 06:24 AM   #10
jc10

Term Limits our only hope!!!

I'm not about to express my party/political preferences because I believe there is something more fundamentally wrong with Washington.
BOTH parties, regardless of stated political views, have their sites set on only one thing --- to get re-elected and to increase their majority (code for power/influence) in House and Senate. The greater the power/influence they have, the easier it is for them to provide cover for each other (make each other look good "back home") for re-election. This "swamp" is so deep in both parties that we, the American people who are supporting our "representatives" (yea, right!), suffer because they can't (refuse to) agree on anything that is in best interest of our great democracy.............this makes me deeply concerned about the world my grandchildren and their children/grandchildren will be facing. In my view, imposing term limits on US Representatives and Senators will ensure a steady flow of good people who are there for the right reason - to serve the people who voted for them. And, if they do not, it won't matter that they are supported by a political "machine" ($$$) because at some point they will no longer be eligible for the privilege of working for us.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:19 AM   #11
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Who has the most posts in this forum in that time?

Last edited by PaulS; 12-14-2018 at 08:29 AM..
Old 12-14-2018, 09:21 AM   #12
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc10 View Post
I'm not about to express my party/political preferences because I believe there is something more fundamentally wrong with Washington.
BOTH parties, regardless of stated political views, have their sites set on only one thing --- to get re-elected and to increase their majority (code for power/influence) in House and Senate. The greater the power/influence they have, the easier it is for them to provide cover for each other (make each other look good "back home") for re-election. This "swamp" is so deep in both parties that we, the American people who are supporting our "representatives" (yea, right!), suffer because they can't (refuse to) agree on anything that is in best interest of our great democracy.............this makes me deeply concerned about the world my grandchildren and their children/grandchildren will be facing. In my view, imposing term limits on US Representatives and Senators will ensure a steady flow of good people who are there for the right reason - to serve the people who voted for them. And, if they do not, it won't matter that they are supported by a political "machine" ($$$) because at some point they will no longer be eligible for the privilege of working for us.
I agree
And many others agree I’m sure also
There must be a way to get this done by we the people because they are not going to cut their own throats, they just vote themselves more raises.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:25 AM   #13
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
He said Pete,why does this offend you?

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 12-14-2018, 10:42 AM   #14
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
He said Pete,why does this offend you?
Your reading comprehension stinks - why am I not suprised?
Old 12-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #15
Jim in CT

Pete, in all seriousness, can you tell us why poor people have a legitimate beef, with the guy in this video? How is he the reason, that anybody else is poor. What does his wealth, have to do with someone else's poverty?

Why don't you ever address that?

I'm bald. Sometimes I wish I had hair. Should I therefore blame and hate the men I see who have hair? Did they cause my baldness?

I'm also 25 pounds overweight. Should I take a pitchfork to all the lean men I see? Is my chubbiness, their doing? Why is it fair that I'm flabby, while that guy in the 'Creed' movies is so jacked? It's not fair!! I want some of his abs, why does HE get to have all the abs?

Do you see how stupid this sounds?

It' snot the same thing, poverty and baldness are not the same thing, I know that. But we both used cases og glaring inequity, to blame people who did pretty much nothing, to deprive anyone else of having what they have.

Wealth is not finite. You seem to think it is (all liberals seem to think that). It's not.

I did the math once, I determined that if the CEO of Walmart worked for free and gave all his money to their US employees, it worked out to around $30 a year for each. Whoop dee do.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:57 AM   #16
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
I'm bald. Sometimes I wish I had hair.
Bald is in. Just don't do the comb over.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:10 AM   #17
Pete F.
Canceled

Jim keeps claiming that wealth distribution is about giving poor people money they don't deserve. The dying middle class is the problem and the concentration of wealth is one of the causes.
Money is like manure: in one big pile it just stinks; spread it around and it makes things grow.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-14-2018, 11:22 AM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Jim keeps claiming that wealth distribution is about giving poor people money they don't deserve. The dying middle class is the problem and the concentration of wealth is one of the causes.
Money is like manure: in one big pile it just stinks; spread it around and it makes things grow.
"the concentration of wealth is one of the causes.]"

You can say it a million times, I note you never explain how.

How is one person's wealth, the cause of anyone else's struggle? HOW? I'd love to have more money to get my kids nicer things. But the guy in your video, has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to make it harder for me to become wealthier. He hasn't taken anything from me. I am the reason why I am not wealthier, ME, not him.

If that's incorrect, please explain how. I'm all ears.

If that guy's bank makes a ton of money today and he gets richer, HOW HAS THAT HURT YOU? Go start your own business if you want what he has.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:24 AM   #19
Jim in CT

Quote:
Bald is in. Just don't do the comb over.
I'm getting ready to shave right down to the skull.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:45 AM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
. The dying middle class is the problem and the concentration of wealth is one of the causes.
The guy in your video was an early investor in amazon. If amazon goes up today, that makes him richer. How in Gods name is that result, hurting anyone in the middle class? How, exactly?

He's not taking anything away from anyone.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:18 PM   #21
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
The guy in your video was an early investor in amazon. If amazon goes up today, that makes him richer. How in Gods name is that result, hurting anyone in the middle class? How, exactly?

He's not taking anything away from anyone.
I don't necessarily agree with his cure, but I definitely think there is a big problem.

It's not HIM
He did not say it was HIM
I didn't say it was HIM

Our political system has given great advantages to corporate america, because they own the politicians.

The data proves that the middle income class has shrunk and wealth has become more and more concentrated in the highest income class.

Amazon is a good example of what has happened and how wealth distribution has changed our society
30 years ago if I wanted a pair of pants or shoes, I would go to the store in town and buy them.
Assume I spent a hundred dollars
Of that $100 the money would go to the following places
The merchant would pay
$40 for the goods and that likely would go out of town
$40 for his building, taxes, fuel, electric, advertising and most of this would stay pretty local
$10 for his employees
and he would pay his loans and make a profit hopefully on the other $10
Of the $100 I spent probably 60% would remain in my area to be spent again and again.
Well some say, Amazon is cheaper, you save money
Assume it only costs me $80 for the same thing from Amazon
Of that $80 none stays in my area to be spent again and again
There are no local employees
The money doesn't get spent at my or my employers establishment.
The store no longer pays taxes

The $20 dollars I "saved" is the most costly money you can find.

That money is what funds our society, pays our neighbors, provides little league, makes local tackle shops work and is what our society was based on.

It is pretty evident if you look at most any town what has happened to our society.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #22
Jim in CT

pete, i agree with you that the poor and the middle class are falling behind, you don’t need to convince me of that. you need to convince me that the existence of a small number if wealthy people, are causing that.

i also agree that big box stores are hurting small business. how would you stop that? what kind of law would
you pass? and regardless of what you seem to think, increasing prices 25% is going to have a massive negative impact on the middle class you say you want to help.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:51 PM   #23
Pete F.
Canceled

The last time wealth was in the hand of a few, antitrust laws were passed that broke up the big companies.
That was in 1890 and 1914.
We need to do it again.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-14-2018, 01:00 PM   #24
Slipknot
Super Moderator

“and the concentration of wealth is one of the causes.“

Jim, I think Pete does not know the difference between causes and symptoms
Old 12-14-2018, 01:02 PM   #25
Slipknot
Super Moderator

We should all spend less time on this pol forum and more time trying to get term limits
Old 12-14-2018, 01:05 PM   #26
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
“and the concentration of wealth is one of the causes.“

Jim, I think Pete does not know the difference between causes and symptoms
i totally agree. totally, totally agree. not just him though, most liberals.

i don’t like income inequality, i don’t think it’s fair. but one persons wealth is almost never the cause of someone else’s poverty. the existence of wealthy people is good for the rest of us - most pay taxes, most give some to charity, most invest some, spend some, put some in the bank, all of which helps the rest of us.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:14 PM   #27
Pete F.
Canceled

Term limits would be helpful, we have agreed on that before.
What can we do to make term limits a real political issue?
Could be a permanent thread

But back to the discussion
So if wealth concentration and the loss of the middle class are but symptoms of problems in our society, what is the root cause?
You can have more than one root cause to any problem and typically do in complex problems and a thing can be both a root cause of one problem and a symptom of another.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-14-2018, 02:22 PM   #28
detbuch

Quote:
Term limits would be helpful, we have agreed on that before.
What can we do to make term limits a real political issue?
Could be a permanent thread

But back to the discussion
So if wealth concentration and the loss of the middle class are but symptoms of problems in our society, what is the root cause?
You can have more than one root cause to any problem and typically do in complex problems and a thing can be both a root cause of one problem and a symptom of another.
The largest, most powerful, centralized entity that siphons the most money from you and your community is the federal government. Perhaps we could start from there as a root cause for what, as you say, "is pretty evident if you look at most any town what has happened to our society." And if we fix that problem, we can begin to return to, as you say, "what our society was based on."
Old 12-14-2018, 04:49 PM   #29
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
I have no interest in doing that data search.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:02 PM   #30
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
The largest, most powerful, centralized entity that siphons the most money from you and your community is the federal government. Perhaps we could start from there as a root cause for what, as you say, "is pretty evident if you look at most any town what has happened to our society." And if we fix that problem, we can begin to return to, as you say, "what our society was based on."
And how would eliminating large parts of the current federal government change any part of this example of how our retail markets have changed:
Amazon is a good example of what has happened and how wealth distribution has changed our society
30 years ago if I wanted a pair of pants or shoes, I would go to the store in town and buy them.
Assume I spent a hundred dollars
Of that $100 the money would go to the following places
The merchant would pay
$40 for the goods and that likely would go out of town
$40 for his building, taxes, fuel, electric, advertising and most of this would stay pretty local
$10 for his employees
and he would pay his loans and make a profit hopefully on the other $10
Of the $100 I spent probably 60% would remain in my area to be spent again and again.
Well some say, Amazon is cheaper, you save money
Assume it only costs me $80 for the same thing from Amazon
Of that $80 none stays in my area to be spent again and again
There are no local employees
The money doesn't get spent at my or my employers establishment.
The store no longer pays taxes

The $20 dollars I "saved" is the most costly money you can find.

That money is what funds our society, pays our neighbors, provides little league, makes local tackle shops work and is what our society was based on.

Lets Go Darwin