Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-22-2016, 12:23 PM   #31
buckman

I'm sure I don't need to remind you guys but rioting and looting and poor black neighborhoods isn't a new phenomenon . I'm sure we can all recall what happened with Rodney King . That was 1992, so yes they happened before Obama . But I really thought we were on the mend. I believe most of it is media driven. All you have to do is watch CNN.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 09-22-2016, 01:23 PM   #32
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Why does it bother you that I bring it up? And what is the time limit on bringing something up with you not liking it? Does Hillary's sniper comment get an exemption?

I bring it up BC almost 50% of the Republicans believed in it and I think it had/has a huge amount to do with the current racial climate.
OK, I'll give you a Touché on this...

so why do you think it has a huge amount to do with the Racial Climate?

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 09-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #33
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I'm sure I don't need to remind you guys but rioting and looting and poor black neighborhoods isn't a new phenomenon . I'm sure we can all recall what happened with Rodney King . That was 1992, so yes they happened before Obama . But I really thought we were on the mend. I believe most of it is media driven. All you have to do is watch CNN.
White people riot all the time, hell I've been tear gassed in a riot before. They just do it for superficial reasons and not perceptions of inequality.

I think you guys are also missing the point that a big reason people flip out when it looks like the killing was justified is a lack of trust in the police by some minority communities.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:28 PM   #34
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Don't forget what happened to Reginald Denny too....that should be included in the discussion.

I agree that a lot of the problems we are having are driven by the media.

I also think that every time we needed Obama to step up and lead when it came to possible racial conflicts....he didn't, and actually made things worse. (i.e. Cops were stupid, if I had a son he'd look like..., etc.)

The president needs to unite...he his the president of the entire US, not just those he chooses.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:33 PM   #35
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
White people riot all the time, hell I've been tear gassed in a riot before. They just do it for superficial reasons and not perceptions of inequality.

I think you guys are also missing the point that a big reason people flip out when it looks like the killing was justified is a lack of trust in the police by some minority communities.
"White people riot all the time,"

Conservative white people?
Old 09-22-2016, 01:39 PM   #36
scottw

Quote:

oh great...he's turning into Brian Williams
Old 09-22-2016, 01:40 PM   #37
Jim in CT

Quote:
We have never achieved perfect harmony. But we were not nearly this racially divided during the Clinton or Bush years.

Clinton's term saw little division, racial or otherwise (I never, ever felt like he despised everyone who didn't vote for him).

Same for the first few years Bush's presidency. Then the Iraq War became unpopular, and liberals went berserk with hatred of Bush. Worse, when liberals wanted out of Iraq, Bush not only didn't withdraw, but he forced the dems in the Congress to support the Surge, which worked. That made the liberals hate him even more.

Looking for a way to win, liberals figured out that if instead of uniting us, if they divided us into different buckets, and made people in each bucket despise each other, they could cobble together enough victim groups to equal 51% of the voters. Having had some early success with that strategy, they are sticking with it.

Look no further for proof, than this ridiculous myth that white cops routinely go out hunting for young black men. Yes, even one murder by a police officer, is one too many. But even though that almost never happens, it gets all of the media attention. Despite the huge numbers of blacks getting killed by other blacks, that problem gets little attention. Because it doesn't support The Narrative.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:42 PM   #38
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
OK, I'll give you a Touché on this...

So we been reduced to trying to touche each other.

so why do you think it has a huge amount to do with the Racial Climate?
Prob. need a face to face rather than a 30 sec. blurb here.

I think it was an attempt to deligitamize the first black Pres. It unearthed racist sentiments where they felt free to voice them in a way w/o using language they knew was inappropriate. So the birther and a black Pres. also brought forth a feeling obo Blacks that they are not going to take it any more. So they protest (and the scummy/liberal ones riot). Blacks feel discriminated against and now even (as in Charlotte) you might have a "legitamate" shooting but they don't see it that way. You and I will never know what it is like to be black.

here is something I just read. A little hard to read bc the author added their own comments.

One of Donald Trump's Ohio campaign chairs has a very unique, revisionist view of American history that she is proudly sharing with the world.

Mahoning County campaign chair Kathy Miller, who is white, told the Guardian that there was "no racism" in the 1960s and if black people fail in this country, it's their "own fault."

"If you're black and you haven't been successful in the last 50 years, it's your own fault. You've had every opportunity, it was given to you," she told the Guardian.

"Growing up as a kid [in the 1960s], there was no racism," Miller adds. "... I never experienced it."

Ah, yes. Much like gravity, ultraviolet light and dark matter, racism doesn't exist unless you can see it with your own eyes.

"I don't think there was any racism until Obama got elected. We never had problems like this ..." Miller says. "Now, with the people with the guns, and shooting up neighborhoods, and not being responsible citizens, that's a big change, and I think that's the philosophy that Obama has perpetuated on America."

She doubles down by adding that black children "had the same schools as everyone else" (false), extra benefits to go to college that "white kids didn't have" (gross oversimplification of affirmative action), and that lower turnout among black voters is due to "the way they're raised" (voter turnout in Ohio in the last two presidential elections was higher among black voters than white ones).

"When do they take responsibility for how they live?" Miller demands.

The video is worth watching if only for the expression on the face of the poor interviewer, who at one point nicely asks Miller if some might find her comments offensive.

"I don't care," Miller says. "It's the truth."

Last edited by PaulS; 09-22-2016 at 01:47 PM..
Old 09-22-2016, 01:43 PM   #39
Jim in CT

Quote:

We all know the riots stem from feelings of mistrust of the police.

Where you and I disagree, is the validity of that mistrust.

I see no reason why these people don't trust the Charlotte police. Black cop, black chief of police, the chief saying the family will be shown the video making it clear he had a gun that for some idiotic reason, he wouldn't put down.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:43 PM   #40
buckman

Quote:

Maybe white Canadiens when Montreal lost the the Stanley Cup eh ?

The people that are riptong and looting and smashing cop cars and beating white people aren't looking for justice . But they do deserve justice
Old 09-22-2016, 01:43 PM   #41
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
White people riot all the time, hell I've been tear gassed in a riot before.
I'm thinking you were probably just peeling an onion....

Quote:
Nobody here is missing that, what your missing is that leadership is not trying to reverse that lack of trust. Obama says dumb things and does dumb #^&#^&#^&#^& when it comes time to lead in areas of racial tensions.

Add the fact the media likes to sensationalize stories and create added tension, and you end up where we are today.

Take the shooting in Tulsa. CNN ran the story with one picture, the guy with his hands up like he was doing nothing wrong and got shot. Everybody gets fired up OMG the police shot an unarmed man who had his hands up.

But if you look at the video, which wasn't linked in the story. It shows the police multiple times yelling at him to stop as he walks back to his car, then he puts his hands down and it looks like he is reaching for something....that's when he got shot. To late though....the damage has been done and social media is on fire.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:47 PM   #42
Jim in CT

Quote:
Prob. need a face to face rather than a 30 sec. blurb here.

I think it was an attempt to deligitamize the first black Pres. It unearthed racist sentiments where they felt free to voice them in a way w/o using language they knew was inappropriate. So the birther and a black Pres. also brought forth a feeling obo Blacks that they are not going to take it any more. So they protest (and the scummy/liberal ones riot). Blacks feel discriminated against and now even (as in Charlotte) you might have a "legitamate" shooting but they don't see it that way.

here is something I just read. A little hard to read bc the author added their own comments.

One of Donald Trump's Ohio campaign chairs has a very unique, revisionist view of American history that she is proudly sharing with the world.

Mahoning County campaign chair Kathy Miller, who is white, told the Guardian that there was "no racism" in the 1960s and if black people fail in this country, it's their "own fault."

"If you're black and you haven't been successful in the last 50 years, it's your own fault. You've had every opportunity, it was given to you," she told the Guardian.

"Growing up as a kid [in the 1960s], there was no racism," Miller adds. "... I never experienced it."

Ah, yes. Much like gravity, ultraviolet light and dark matter, racism doesn't exist unless you can see it with your own eyes.

"I don't think there was any racism until Obama got elected. We never had problems like this ..." Miller says. "Now, with the people with the guns, and shooting up neighborhoods, and not being responsible citizens, that's a big change, and I think that's the philosophy that Obama has perpetuated on America."

She doubles down by adding that black children "had the same schools as everyone else" (false), extra benefits to go to college that "white kids didn't have" (gross oversimplification of affirmative action), and that lower turnout among black voters is due to "the way they're raised" (voter turnout in Ohio in the last two presidential elections was higher among black voters than white ones).

"When do they take responsibility for how they live?" Miller demands.

The video is worth watching if only for the expression on the face of the poor interviewer, who at one point nicely asks Miller if some might find her comments offensive.

"I don't care," Miller says. "It's the truth."
"I think it was an attempt to deligitamize the first black Pres"

Agreed. But the attempt was limited to a small fringe. And for a long time, Obama refused to release his long form birth certificate. He could have ended this sooner, had he been more forthcoming.

"So they protest "

You are speculating that they are protesting, at least in part, in retaliation to birthers. Problem is, none of the protesters are saying that. They are all saying that they are protesting police oppression.

If you can support your speculation that the riots are connected to birther claims, please share.

"if black people fail in this country, it's their "own fault."

For the most part, I agree with that.

The opportunities here are endless. The black culture, at least for blacks born in this country, hasn't embraced those opportunities yet. They have instead embraced the victimhood status that liberals shove down their throats.

Paul, how come there are so many stories of immigrants from other countries (especially Asians) coming here with zip, and in one generation, their kids are doctors? Is the system rigged in favor of Asian immigrants moreso than blacks who are here already? Those immigrants work their fingers to the bone, because they wholeheartedly, passionately embrace the idea of opportunity.

Blacks who do the right things (stay in school, work hard, present themselves well, get married before having kids) do well. Whites who make stupid decisions (drop out of high school, do drugs, wear their pants down by their ankles) struggle. It's not about race. It's about the choices you make.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #43
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"White people riot all the time,"

Conservative white people?
Not sure, I know my university riots were pretty conservative.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:54 PM   #44
Jim in CT

Quote:
Please share some news stories.

And if it helps you, I am sure...conservatives don't have a habit of rioting every time they don't get their way. That's a liberal tactic.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:56 PM   #45
buckman

Quote:
Can you give us a link , news paper clipping or something . You might be having a Hillary moment ?
Old 09-22-2016, 01:57 PM   #46
scottw

this is like when Clinton was recalling all of those black churches burning in his neighborhood
Old 09-22-2016, 01:58 PM   #47
Jim in CT

Quote:
As we all know, college campuses are hotbeds of radical conservatism.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:23 PM   #48
buckman

Because I'm bored, as you know, I have been googling trying to find a college riot that involved conservatism . So far zip ... But if you want some funny reading, look up Forbes 2015 top ten ridiculous college riots .
Old 09-22-2016, 02:23 PM   #49
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Throwing water balloons at the school mascot does not a riot make.....

Old 09-22-2016, 02:24 PM   #50
Nebe

Panty raid!!!
Old 09-22-2016, 02:24 PM   #51
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Because I'm bored, as you know, I have been googling trying to find a college riot that involved conservatism . So far zip ... But if you want some funny reading, look up Forbes 2015 top ten ridiculous college riots .
if you want a REALLY good laugh, go to Collegereform.org

Old 09-22-2016, 03:33 PM   #52
spence

Quote:
Rookies, those aren't riots.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:35 PM   #53
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Rookies, those aren't riots.
Oh please tell us more.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:46 PM   #54
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
I have seen surveys that said that almost 1/2 of Repubs. believe Pres. Obama was a Muslim and/or born outside the US. There was 0 proof of that.

I agree anyone running for office should provide the proper docs. So do you think Pres. Obama was elected Pres. w/o having to provide those docs. and if so, w/o anyone reviewing those docs. or looking into his background? I can't imagine that. He was on the Senate Foreign relations committee. I'm sure he was briefed by our intelligence agencies. I would think they would have looked into his background bf those briefings.

I'd be interested in Dennis' thoughts.
I have heard of rumors of studies that state all whites are rassist. I do not believe it to be true.

I have heard rumors of 30% of democrats think the moon landings were faked, pot is good for your lungs, and hemp is indeed the miracle technology of the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
you should check with Hillary and friends...pretty sure she gave rise to the birther phenomenon..she might have your answers as to why there was ever a question....
Queue Sidney Blumenthal

Quote:
Why does it bother you that I bring it up? And what is the time limit on bringing something up with you not liking it? Does Hillary's sniper comment get an exemption?

I bring it up BC almost 50% of the Republicans believed in it and I think it had/has a huge amount to do with the current racial climate.
I thought the current racial climate was because white cops were indiscriminately killing unarmed peaceful black males?

(and just to be clear, I try not to jump to any conclusions on soemthing like this until more facts are known - as we know most first reports are generally wrong)

Quote:

I have not seen many white people riot all the time. Short of TV I have not seen many people riot at all. Not something I participate in - rioting. Something I do hope people participate in, allow the judicial system to do its work. Some of the examples that have incited protests have been legit, some have not. Cool heads have not prevailed in the heat of the moment and more of our kids are getting hurt as a result.

Quote:
Did you go armed in school with a Dildo to protest Concealed Carry? Would you have for the chicks?

Quote:
Hillarious

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-22-2016, 06:01 PM   #55
detbuch

Quote:
Why should 50% of Republicans believing Obama was born in Kenya create a racial climate? Is Kenyan a race? Wasn't the birther movement about constitutional qualification to be President? Wasn't the notion that it was about race intentionally cast that way by Democrats and leftists and Progressives? Weren't they trying to solidify and stir up their "base" by painting the movement as being "racist"?

Anyway, Paul, you above all others should know that the hateful racial climate with its violent protests is all about having "anger issues."
Old 09-23-2016, 12:33 AM   #56
ecduzitgood
time to go

Oh boy...
http://www.abc6.com/story/33163820/n...e-white-people
Old 09-23-2016, 07:51 AM   #57
wdmso

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37447915

Must be where Jim got his ideas about blacks

2nd link didn't see the 1st one
Old 09-23-2016, 07:56 AM   #58
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37447915

Must be where Jim got his ideas about blacks

2nd link didn't see the 1st one
Just out of curiosity, what do you presume my "ideas about blacks" are?

I want them to all succeed and be happy, to break the cycle of poverty and crime. I doubt you have a problem with that. When I display the brains to take the next step, and connect the dots between black poverty and liberalism, now all of a sudden, I'm a racist.

Good Lord, when I have I ever said something as stupid as "blacks hate white people"?

That legislator has to go.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:03 AM   #59
wdmso

when will anyone get it ..its about not the killings of a criminal or some one with a gun its about killing people who are unarmed I repeat unarmed...

I have said it before My men and I in Iraq had more restraint then some of these police .. and we were in combat , we couldn't just shoot someone because they looked scary or we thought they had a weapon ..

No issues pull a gun on police and they shoot you Fake or real

and these stats have some influence on what we see

Police killed at least 102 unarmed black people in 2015, nearly twice each week. (See which police departments were responsible for these deaths)

Nearly 1 in 3 black people killed by police in 2015 were identified as unarmed, though the actual number is likely higher due to underreporting

37% of unarmed people killed by police were black in 2015 despite black people being only 13% of the U.S. population

Unarmed black people were killed at 5x the rate of unarmed whites in 2015

Only 10 of the 102 cases in 2015 where an unarmed black person was killed by police resulted in officer(s) being charged with a crime, and only 2 of these deaths (Matthew Ajibade and Eric Harris) resulted in convictions of officers involved. Only 1 of 2 officers convicted for their involvement in Matthew Ajibade's death received jail time. He was sentenced to 1 year in jail and allowed to serve this time exclusively on weekends. Deputy Bates, who killed Eric Harris, will be sentenced May 31.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:08 AM   #60
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Just out of curiosity, what do you presume my "ideas about blacks" are?

I want them to all succeed and be happy, to break the cycle of poverty and crime. I doubt you have a problem with that. When I display the brains to take the next step, and connect the dots between black poverty and liberalism, now all of a sudden, I'm a racist.

Good Lord, when I have I ever said something as stupid as "blacks hate white people"?

That legislator has to go.
No you have never said "blacks hate white people"?

More about his information blaming of the welfare system for the past 50 years for the current issues

he should go I agree.. but he wont go his gerrymandering district
most likely wont allow it