Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-29-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
Nebe

RI in the NY TImes...

way to go RI...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/26/us...d&st=cse&scp=2
Old 10-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #2
fishbones

I hope the woman with 9 kids is leaving the food pantry and going straight to the free clinic to get birth control pills.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 10-29-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

its going to get worse

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 10-29-2008, 04:02 PM   #4
Nebe

I know it is..
Old 10-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
Joe

I was always surprised that with all the poor people in Newport, all the summer help is from Eastern Europe?
If a person from Slovenia can get a job in a hotel, why can't somebody who has lived there all their life?

Old 10-29-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
its going to get worse
Thanks for the optimism
Old 10-29-2008, 05:44 PM   #7
JH Beers

No jobs?

Well, at least you have a beautiful scenic vista off your coast there, not being smeared with things that might take advantage of some of your potential natural resources.

AMIRITE?
Old 10-29-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I was always surprised that with all the poor people in Newport, all the summer help is from Eastern Europe?
If a person from Slovenia can get a job in a hotel, why can't somebody who has lived there all their life?
Some of the "poor" in Newport I wouldn't hire if I owned a small business. I was less than impressed when I worked there. Its not like some of these poor are spending time teaching their kids because they get breakfast, lunch, and dental care from the local schools.

When did the balance in the system go from temporary assistance to complacency?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 10-30-2008, 12:44 PM   #9
rwilhelm

It's very sad! Right now where I work we are in the process of moving 70% of our manufacturing to Mexico. Some of the product lines we already moved are experiencing very high scrap rates. Even though the labor is much cheaper sometimes it is not worth it. Higher scrap rates, lower quality, late deliveries = losing customers.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #10
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilhelm View Post
It's very sad! Right now where I work we are in the process of moving 70% of our manufacturing to Mexico. Some of the product lines we already moved are experiencing very high scrap rates. Even though the labor is much cheaper sometimes it is not worth it. Higher scrap rates, lower quality, late deliveries = losing customers.
Look at what happened to Volkswagen.. they were having most of their cars made in mexico and they were all crap.. Now they are being made in Germany again and the quality has risen. Unfortunately, I own a Mexican TDI and its a piece of crapola..
Old 10-30-2008, 02:51 PM   #11
fishbones

I heard last night that Pearson boats in Warren has already had a big layoff and will soon be reducing their workforce by another 39% and may or may not call people back to work in the spring. It's pretty scary right now.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio