Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 11-12-2018, 11:25 AM   #1
Liv2Fish

Eel Regulations?? - Fresh water trapping

So, I am already gearing up for next year - lots of missed time to make up for. I'm planning to trap a bunch of eels to rig over the winter but can't fins anything definitive regulations for trapping eels in fresh water in MA.

Eel regulations only seem to be listed under the salt water regulations and only minimum information is listed. There is a section in the fresh water regs that discusses catching bait for personal use but doesn't address eels.

Anyone know the deal?

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
Liv2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:29 PM   #2
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

"Commercial fishing harvest is open on American eels at least 9 inches in length. You cannot harvest smaller glass eels in Massachusetts. Recreational fishing of American eels is also permitted with a daily bag limit of 25 eels."

https://www.mass.gov/service-details...e-american-eel

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:28 PM   #3
Liv2Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingfreak View Post
"Commercial fishing harvest is open on American eels at least 9 inches in length. You cannot harvest smaller glass eels in Massachusetts. Recreational fishing of American eels is also permitted with a daily bag limit of 25 eels."

https://www.mass.gov/service-details...e-american-eel
Thanks. I read this page too but don't see any regulations about trapping (perhaps method doesn't matter for req?) or in fresh versus salt. Eels are listed as a recreational species on the saltwater regulations and I would guess they fall under the salt water license? but I'm trapping in fresh water?

The fresh water regs do talk about trapping bait for personal use and list all that are allowed to be trapped but the eel is not on the list. Also lists max one trap.

I can only imagine how the EPOs would interpret the scenario and I'm guessing some tool will see me out there in the kayak pulling the trap and call.

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
Old 11-13-2018, 04:51 PM   #4
Liv2Fish

I sent an email to DMF to ask for clarity.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:35 PM   #5
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

I've found it best to just call the dmf with questions. They are usually pretty helpful on the phone and most of them are super nerdy-knowledgeable on the regs, and usually more than willing to show off their know-how.

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:42 PM   #6
Liv2Fish

Quote:
I've found it best to just call the dmf with questions. They are usually pretty helpful on the phone and most of them are super nerdy-knowledgeable on the regs, and usually more than willing to show off their know-how.
Thanks. Ill give it a shot.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:24 PM   #7
MakoMike

Be aware that given the life cycle of eels, fishing in fresh water you are much more likely to catch big females which may not be suitable for rigging.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:54 PM   #8
Guppy
User

Quote:
This
The couple times I’ve called I was surprised at their helpfulness
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:24 PM   #9
bart
Red Eye Jedi

I was gearing up in the dark for holdovers last Feb in a RI parking lot when a cop pulled up. Told him I was going fishing and he said no problem, just don’t fish for eels. I just assumed he meant elvers...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:34 PM   #10
Clammer

Back in the day .all the eels that were caught & sold in RI either for bait or food were caught in brackish water or salt ponds & when they were speared thru the ice it was usually saltwater coves .
Mike ,,,,the largest eel I ever caught & also the largest common eel I have ever seen .I caught it in a quarry on a bluegill .while my friend were swimming .needless to say I don,t think I ever saw them swim there again .
I could be mistaken but all the bait eels that come from Maine come from F/W

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:03 AM   #11
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
I could be mistaken but all the bait eels that come from Maine come from F/W

Many of them, Maine and at one time Canada IIRC.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:44 AM   #12
Guppy
User

Work in a fishmarket as a kid

Around Christmas time we would get a fish box full of speared eels still sqerming

I’d try to avoid the Greek customers so I didn’t half to clean them

They do eat good though
Old 12-01-2018, 10:04 PM   #13
Liv2Fish

321-CMR 4.03: Taking of Commercial Eels from Inland Waters:

Eels shall not be taken from the inland waters of the Commonwealth for personal use as baitfish or for any commercial purposes.

Regulatory Authority: M.G.L. c. 131, §§ 4 and 52A.

Last Revised: 04-11-14

Sounds like freshwater eels are off limits.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:25 PM   #14
Liv2Fish

Any licensed fisherman may use 1 trap to catch bait fish but only the fish defined as bait fish:

(a) Definitions:
Baitfish means only live or dead fish of the following species. A person shall not use as bait any fish, alive or dead, including parts thereof, except the baitfish listed in 321 CMR 4.01(8)(a)1 through 10.

1. White sucker (Catostomus commersoni)
2. Banded killifish (Fundulus diaphanus)
3. Mummichog (Fundulus heteroclitus)
4. Pumpkinseed (Lepomis gibbosus)
5. Golden shiner (Notemigonus crysoleucas)
6. Rainbow smelt (Osmerus mordax), only as provided in 321 CMR 4.01, Table 1.
7. Yellow perch (Perca flavescens)
8. Fallfish (Semotilus corporalis)
9. Fathead minnow (Pimephales promelas)
10. Herring (Clupea spp.) may be used as bait in the Connecticut River, Merrimack River, and coastal rivers and streams, only as provided in 321 CMR 4.01: Table 1 and 322 CMR, but may not be possessed or used as bait in other rivers and streams, or in lakes, ponds, or reservoirs.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:52 PM   #15
beamie

Just took a quick look st some of these regs. Assuming these are all for inland waters. My god. They just keep going on and on and on. Says you can use herring on the Connecticut and Merrimack river. Humm. Thought there was a ban on that. Seems things over lap and keeping up with this requires a Harvard lawyer. Geez.
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:52 AM   #16
Guppy
User

Couple years back built two traps, $25 town permit, set em out brackish water, some f er stole them...

Store bought, bucket, better bait, aerator, in frig, in shed..... goes a long way....
Old 12-02-2018, 08:19 AM   #17
Linesider82

Migratory Alewife and blue back herring have been closed in all waters of CT since April, 2002. The numbers are down 98%
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:11 AM   #18
Liv2Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamie View Post
Just took a quick look st some of these regs. Assuming these are all for inland waters. My god. They just keep going on and on and on. Says you can use herring on the Connecticut and Merrimack river. Humm. Thought there was a ban on that. Seems things over lap and keeping up with this requires a Harvard lawyer. Geez.
It is quite extensive and last updated in 2014.

MA inland water eels are regulated by the MDFW and the only direction is in CMR-321-4.03, which says they are off limits. MA coastal waters (including brackish) eels are regulated by the ASMFC. In MA you need a SW fishing license and in most towns, eels are regulated under the shellfish regulations and a town shellfish license is also needed.

Assuming the demarcation between fresh and salt is the first bridge in a river (which I've heard but can't find in the regs), which in my area makes the easy access but inconspicuous spots very limited, and the need for a shellfish license or even out of town shellfish license, it's probably not worth doing for me. No wonder They're $2 per for selects.

I'm still searching for regs that ID the demarcation between fresh and salt and how many pots you are allowed and if there any specifics regarding opening size, etc. I will post what I find.

Last edited by Liv2Fish; 12-02-2018 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: ADD INFO

Old 12-02-2018, 11:42 AM   #19
Linesider82

https://www.mass.gov/service-details...-zone-boundary
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:33 PM   #20
Liv2Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linesider82 View Post
https://www.mass.gov/service-details...-zone-boundary
Thanks! I wonder how tight they enforce it? There are half a dozen locations i have confirmed hold eels that the line runs 25-50 yards from the the edge of the pond but out in the pond.