Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-01-2020, 09:35 AM   #61
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
To keep it simple and not get into the semantics of who gets to qualify as faithful: 138 million voted 75% identified as Catholic, Protestant, or Jewish. 40% of those voters voted for Hillary.
138x0.75x0.4= 41.4 million
Had Jim said a majority voted for Trump I wouldn't have had anything to say, but his blanket statement is a representative of co opting of religion by some on the right that is bogus. Maybe Jim just meant Trump won a majority of the faithful. Maybe given the way he started this thread he should look into what it means to be faithful.
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...2016-analysis/
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

I define "faithful" as a religious person (any religion) whose religious beliefs hold real value to him, someone actually dedicated to their religious beliefs. Someone who identifies as Catholic but who goes to church twice a year, doesn't do any volunteer work, and thinks the church is wrong on abortion, is not someone I'd consider to be faithful.

Among Christian faithful, Trump won big. Among casual Catholics and Jews, Hilary did great.

I'm very sorry if you don't like those results, but they were the results. Obviously they were the results. No Christian would ever truly believe Trump is a righteous person. But the policies he enacts, are far more in line with Judeo-Christian principles, than those of Hilary, it's not even close. Biden will have the same problem, but he'll make up for it with groups that lean left.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:51 AM   #62
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
He's doing what the religious right wants him to do. We get conservative judges and the ability to practice our religion without the feds telling us we need to defy our beliefs. In return, he gets our votes.

Why is that one side "playing" the other?

You vote for democrats who promise your union more than the Republicans. Why is that different? Does that mean you're getting "played" too?

Lemme guess...it's OK when unions and democrats work together, but sinister when evangelicals and republicans work together.

Trump sees gun stores and ranges essential yet abortion services in red states not deemed essential ?? Trump administration won’t reopen Obamacare enrollment for uninsured as coronavirus spreads why ?

I can make a very great argument that the unions are getting played, because those pensions can never be paid for (just do the math), and when they go bankrupt, the democrats who lied to you will be retired in Grand Cayman. And they won't give a sh*t about the promises they made to you 30 years prior.

your trapped in your imaginary attacks on religious liberties..

being against religious discriminatory actions are not attacks on religion however its clear who are on the attack

Conservatives Are Weaponizing “Religious Liberty” to Allow Institutions to Discriminate

In 2016, for the second year in a row, more than 100 anti-equality bills targeting LGBT people were introduced in state legislatures, many of them described as measures to protect religious liberty. This flood of anti-LGBT and “religious liberty” legislation is not the result of isolated local efforts. It is part of a larger campaign by Religious Right groups to resist and reverse advances toward equality for LGBT Americans by portraying equality as inherently incompatible with religious freedom.

comparing union to whats going on see above again making comparisons that are not remotely the same ... unions count as 13 % of the American work force but get 100% of your Attention

yet evangelical percentage of the population at 25.4 are getting 100% of Trump's attentions , the rest are on the sidelines watching

Last edited by wdmso; 04-01-2020 at 09:58 AM..
Old 04-01-2020, 10:06 AM   #63
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
your trapped in your imaginary attacks on religious liberties..

being against religious discriminatory actions are not attacks on religion however its clear who are on the attack

Conservatives Are Weaponizing “Religious Liberty” to Allow Institutions to Discriminate

In 2016, for the second year in a row, more than 100 anti-equality bills targeting LGBT people were introduced in state legislatures, many of them described as measures to protect religious liberty. This flood of anti-LGBT and “religious liberty” legislation is not the result of isolated local efforts. It is part of a larger campaign by Religious Right groups to resist and reverse advances toward equality for LGBT Americans by portraying equality as inherently incompatible with religious freedom.

comparing union to whats going on see above again making comparisons that are not remotely the same ... unions count as 13 % of the American work force but get 100% of your Attention

yet evangelical percentage of the population at 25.4 are getting 100% of Trump's attentions , the rest are on the sidelines watching
"your trapped in your imaginary attacks on religious liberties.. "

Obama was successfully sued by the owners of Hobby Lobby, as well as the Little Sisters of The Poor, because Obama tried to force them to abandon their religious beliefs. They sued, and they won. So if you want to recant your ignorant statement, now would be a good time.

Hey, I was pro gay marriage way, way before Obama and Hilary, and I bet I was before you as well. I agree that churches need to re-think their positions on gay marriage. You didn't post any links so I don't know what the bills were. Whle I support gay marriage, I also support the right of a Christian baker to not participate in a gay wedding if he chooses not to. The First Amendment is pretty clear.

" comparing union to whats going on see above again making comparisons that are not remotely the same '

right. So Trump is playing the Christians, but democrats aren't playing the unions. You say so!

"unions count as 13 % of the American work force "

But are 100% of the reason why CT and IL are on the verge of bankruptcy. 100%.

"but get 100% of your Attention "

Gibberish.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:09 AM   #64
zimmy

Quote:
But the policies he enacts, are far more in line with Judeo-Christian principles, than those of Hilary, it's not even close.
That is a selective and I will say warped opinion based what my Bible says.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:28 AM   #65
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I don't watch her. I don't agree with much of what she says, or with much in this thread, for that matter...

But she gets a potential pass for being a nut about fishing, as are many of us here... I would still fish with her and likely enjoy it as I find it much easier to discuss differences around common ground....

Everyone needs to lighten up here, IMO...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maddowfish.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	67002  

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:48 AM   #66
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I don't watch her. I don't agree with much of what she says, or with much in this thread, for that matter...

But she gets a potential pass for being a nut about fishing, as are many of us here... I would still fish with her and likely enjoy it as I find it much easier to discuss differences around common ground....

Well said. I am getting out of here ☠️

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:50 AM   #67
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
That is a selective and I will say warped opinion based what my Bible says.
In my experience, when liberals lob baseless insults with zero evidence, it means they know they've lost the debate.

If you'd like to tell me how anyone would conclude that the liberal agenda is more closely aligned with judeo-Christian principles than the conservative agenda, I'd be interested to her it.

Please note, I'm not saying Trump is a better Christian than Hilary. I am saying his agenda is more Christian friendly. Remember Hilary's deplorables rant, she was speaking, in part, of evangelicals and what they believe.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:38 AM   #68
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post

Who are the two guys in the picture?

Old 04-01-2020, 11:57 AM   #69
Pete F.
Canceled

Fun fact: Jesus refused to tend to the lepers until they pledged allegiance to him and preemptively expressed their gratitude.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-01-2020, 12:06 PM   #70
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Who are the two guys in the picture?

Not sure, but I think the one with the dark hair used to play left tackle for the Jets

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 04-01-2020, 02:14 PM   #71
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

All religions su*ck, the head count over religion is millions and I find the catholic faith especially hypocritical. How many lives have been ruined by catholic priests, faithfully practicing what?
Old 04-01-2020, 02:27 PM   #72
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post

All religions su*ck,
not all..this is foolish
Old 04-01-2020, 03:09 PM   #73
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
not all..this is foolish
Pick a century, pick a religion, pick a “god”, they have all murdered millions in the name of their “faith” or their “god” being the one and only, they all su*ck, just to varying degrees of death in the name of.

Last edited by Got Stripers; 04-01-2020 at 03:20 PM..
Old 04-01-2020, 03:33 PM   #74
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

How many deaths have been caused by religion? Here's a list of religiously motivated wars and genocides and their death tolls. Let me know if I missed any!
The Crusades: 6,000,000
Thirty Years War: 11,500,000
French Wars of Religion: 4,000,000
Second Sudanese Civil War: 2,000,000
Lebanese Civil War: 250,000
Muslim Conquests of India: 80,000,000
Congolese Genocide (King Leopold II): 13,000,000
Armenian Genocide: 1,500,000
Rwandan Genocide: 800,000
Eighty Years' War: 1,000,000
Nigerian Civil War: 1,000,000
Great Peasants' Revolt: 250,000
First Sudanese Civil War: 1,000,000
Jewish Diaspora (Not Including the Holocaust): 1,000,000
The Holocaust (Jewish and Homosexual Deaths): 6,500,000
Islamic Terrorism Since 2000: 150,000
Iraq War: 500,000
US Western Expansion (Justified by "Manifest Destiny"):20,000,000
Atlantic Slave Trade (Justified by Christianity): 14,000,000
Aztec Human Sacrifice: 80,000
AIDS deaths in Africa largely due to opposition to condoms: 30,000,000
Spanish Inquisition: 5,000
TOTAL: 195,035,000 deaths in the name of religion.

Rest my case, although that doesn’t even include the terrorists, who have added to it in the name of, again they all su*ck!
Old 04-01-2020, 03:40 PM   #75
scottw

Quote:
Pick a century, pick a religion, pick a “god”, they have all murdered millions in the name of their “faith” or their “god” being the one and only, they all su*ck, just to varying degrees of death in the name of.
you just need something to bitch about...
Old 04-01-2020, 03:53 PM   #76
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
you just need something to bitch about...
🧀

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 04-01-2020, 04:25 PM   #77
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

The irreverent core are now the thread police, I think you both need to hold hands and attend services together this weekend, what’s the problem; special warm thoughts from your alter boy youth?
Old 04-01-2020, 06:39 PM   #78
Sea Dangles

You complain a lot
Old 04-01-2020, 06:46 PM   #79
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I get it, my bringing up catholic priests made your butt checks tighten out of shear panic from your youth, I understand you can’t debate the value of religion in general. Go find a soft seat and take some deep breaths.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:20 AM   #80
Jim in CT

Quote:
show me millions murdered by jews or christians in this last couple of centuries please?

it’s something, to tell people
that the thing they might hold
more dear to them than anything, su*ks. Very ignorant. Stop by a catholic hospital sometime, or a catholic food bank, or a catholic school where the staff work for peanuts, and tell the heroic volunteers that it all su*cks.

Old 04-02-2020, 06:24 AM   #81
Jim in CT

Quote:
I get it, my bringing up catholic priests made your butt checks tighten out of shear panic from your youth, I understand you can’t debate the value of religion in general. Go find a soft seat and take some deep breaths.
you’re the one who can no longer debate anything. TDS has you. Read your posts man, how much respect do you show for those who disagree with you. your tone went off the deep end in the last week, you’re regurgitating nonsensical MSNBC talking points.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:25 AM   #82
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
You complain a lot
you guys did it. you broke his brain.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:46 AM   #83
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
you’re the one who can no longer debate anything. TDS has you. Read your posts man, how much respect do you show for those who disagree with you. your tone went off the deep end in the last week, you’re regurgitating nonsensical MSNBC talking points.
What does my comment have to do with Trump and it’s about time religions start making up for all the lives taken throughout the centuries and as you know the Catholic Church’s dark past isn’t all the far in the past. I didn’t say anyones faith su*cks, the point was all religions su*ck for all the lives taken in the name of this god or that god, or the correct god. My older sister is an episcopal minister, so I get that faith is important to some, that wasn’t my point.

Touchy subject, you guys love to debate religion as it applies to this administration and bitch we do not but complain about Trump, I was stepping outside the Trump box to make a general statement. While efforts today are worthy, why do the need to be made in the name of any religion, how about people that can step forward, like so many admirable sports figures or public and private sector CEO’s with great charities.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:54 AM   #84
scottw

^^^^this is juvenile
Old 04-02-2020, 07:04 AM   #85
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Clinching butt checks on discussion of Catholic priests back door antics you too must have been an alter boy? That may explain all the anger from you three.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:04 AM   #86
Jim in CT

Quote:
What does my comment have to do with Trump and it’s about time religions start making up for all the lives taken throughout the centuries and as you know the Catholic Church’s dark past isn’t all the far in the past. I didn’t say anyones faith su*cks, the point was all religions su*ck for all the lives taken in the name of this god or that god, or the correct god. My older sister is an episcopal minister, so I get that faith is important to some, that wasn’t my point.

Touchy subject, you guys love to debate religion as it applies to this administration and bitch we do not but complain about Trump, I was stepping outside the Trump box to make a general statement. While efforts today are worthy, why do the need to be made in the name of any religion, how about people that can step forward, like so many admirable sports figures or public and private sector CEO’s with great charities.
"it’s about time religions start making up for all the lives taken throughout the centuries "

Using that logic, you are personally responsible for what your ancestors did 4,5 generations ago? Must be nice to be the only person on the planet to come from lineage that's as innocent as a newborn kitten.

Catholics are a huge group of people, and like any large group, there are some really bad apples. You are enthusiastically pointing that out. But there are millions of Catholics who are inspired by their faith, to spend every waking moment helping others, while you and I are free to indulge ourselves with things like golf and fishing and complaining on the internet. As I said, you come across as fairly ignorant and incorrect on the subject, so why not spend a day at a Catholic charity to see firsthand the people you are bashing, see if you feel the same way afterwards.

"the Catholic Church’s dark past isn’t all the far in the past"

If you are talking about the homosexual predation, obviously you're correct. What fascinates me, is that we see the same predation elsewhere - in other religions, public schools, and for sure in the healthcare field, yet 90% of the media coverage focuses on the abuse in Catholicism. It's almost as if there's some kind of agenda, not sure whey else everyone else gets a pass. But I'm not denying that a small number of people in the Catholic church absolutely blew this problem.

"I didn’t say anyones faith su*cks, the point was all religions su*ck'

Not seeing the difference. And again, I don't see any large-scale mass murder committed by Jews of Christians in the last few centuries. What I see, is that Christianity was irrefutably the driving force to end slavery, and it was absolutely the driving force to end segregation. Is it too much to ask that if you highlight the flaws, maybe you could dedicate a syllable or two to the good done? And the benefits provided?

"I was stepping outside the Trump box to make a general statement'

And in my opinion, it was a bigoted, thoughtless statement.

Your tone has changed. It started a week ago with a f-bomb laced tirade aimed at me. You sound warped and frustrated.

"While efforts today are worthy"

I agree...

"why do they need to be made in the name of any religion"

That question is too big for me. Obviously they don't need to be rooted in religion, there are plenty of agnostics who are wonderful people. But the fact is, faith inspires many people to do great things.

Look at it this way...if person A really believes that there is no God, no afterlife...and person B believes that there is a God and a Heaven and that life is essentially an audition to get into heaven...is it surprising that this faith would motivate people to do more good, than they might otherwise do?

The fight to end slavery and segregation didn't necessarily have to originate with Judeo-Christian principles. But nevertheless, that's where it originated.

It's not touchy to me, faith isn't for everyone and I don't pretend that what works for me is what's best for anyone else. But it's a good idea to get the truth out there, not just one-sided bashing.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:17 AM   #87
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

My tone hasn’t changed, I love the holier than thou attitude of you three omigos, thought I’d take a page out of the SD playbook and taunt you where it might hit home. Flipping back to Trump and religion and hypocrisy, so someone so vile, someone breaking so many of the precious Ten Commandments at will, is supported by good religions people why? That is blatant hypocrisy.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:18 AM   #88
wdmso

Quote:
show me millions murdered by jews or christians in this last couple of centuries please?

If I said show me were Biden sexually assaulted some one since the 90s

Would that eliminate his guilt or excuse his behavior ,,,,

You evangelist just steal money pay no taxes they just evolved

And try not taking all religion sucks to all who are religious suck.

But that's hard for you seeing you think religion is under attack..
Old 04-02-2020, 07:39 AM   #89
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
If I said show me were Biden sexually assaulted some one since the 90s

Would that eliminate his guilt or excuse his behavior ,,,,

You evangelist just steal money pay no taxes they just evolved

And try not taking all religion sucks to all who are religious suck.

But that's hard for you seeing you think religion is under attack..
Too deep for them. They live in the but Obama, but Joe, but Hillary and but Hunter world, but nothing in the religions past matters, more hypocrisy.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:25 AM   #90
Sea Dangles

I am not religious at all. Although the dopey GS has no problem appointing me as such. I am not against any of them and believe they all have an equal place on the globe. I have gone out of my way to criticize Catholics in the past as they provide plenty of fodder. Since my son started attending BC High we started to support a scholarship fund for inner city children who,otherwise would not get an opportunity at private education. The Catholic Church has moved this forward through the years and the stories told by the students about the difference this made in their lives makes me ashamed that I had previously bashed them. It still won’t get me to church though.