Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 11-19-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

Thumbs down nascar 2007

boring season and last race for me. i couldn't even make it through the race sunday, not to mention johnson's post race interview either. hopefully we're not seeing a trend starting.
american spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:55 PM   #2
Clogston29
xxx

espn/abc is certainly doing its part to destroy nascar (rusty and andy petri need to get over themselves, everything that happens on the track isn't a reason to bring up your past acheivments and stroke each others egos). that's not to say that nascar isn't doing its part. its like they are looking at the path that lead to the downfall of IRL and saying "yeah, that looks like a good idea" (cookie cutter tracks, foreign drivers, no personality, no rough driving)

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Clogston29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
basswipe

It can still be saved guys.30+ years of watching and going has told me that.

Its not the drivers.

Its the marketing.Its the micro-management of rules.Its about the $$$.Dale Jr and Nascar's marketing of him is the prime example of whats wrong with Nascar as an association.

I don't know about boring.Some races are and some aren't.Homestead is definitely not cookie-cutter,its the only true oval on the circuit other than Indy and Indy is a 1/2 mile bigger with no banking.Kenseth simply dominated as have drivers have done since before some were born.

There are races that the King or DW or Pearson or both Bobby and Davey Allison or Dale Sr. to name just a small few who so dominated races that they finished 3+ laps ahead of second.

And yes I agree ABC/ESPN coverage sucks.The only redeeming quality in their coverage is Suzie Kolber and a good portion of that has do with looks but she's also just better at covering sports in general.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:03 AM   #4
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

i don't know. i figured there was a change developing back when the whole bruton smith situation was going down. and rockingham losing races.
american spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 09:02 AM   #5
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_shocker View Post
i don't know. i figured there was a change developing back when the whole bruton smith situation was going down. and rockingham losing races.
Losing the Rock was a real downer.Definitely one of my favorite tracks.N.Wilkesboro was a good track too.

I think Nascar is hoping the COT will revitalize the racing.07 was a tough call because of the many changes that took place.

One thing I would like to see change is how the bonus pts. for a win are applied.I'd like to see them applied after each win
and not once the chase begins.These guys race hard all season long and should line up in the pts. exactly as they finished
the reg. season.

Last edited by basswipe; 11-22-2007 at 09:07 AM..
Old 12-05-2007, 05:49 PM   #6
basswipe

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/opin...man/index.html

I can agree with this.Sums it up for me.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:37 PM   #7
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/opin...man/index.html

I can agree with this.Sums it up for me.
I'm really surprised to see you say that and I don't mean that sarcasticly. Based on some of your posts here It looks like you have been into Nascar for a while. As far as the cheating thing......when has cheating not been a part of Nascar? Also, I don't really like the chase either but the comments on how Gordon was ahead going into the chase made me laugh because Johnson has certainly been in that position too. You win some, you lose some. I also don't think there was a lack of competition. All those chase teams seemed pretty good to me and we saw some first time winners this year too.

That being said the whole feel of Nascar that got me into the sport is gone now. I'm not exactly sure why it's so boring but it is. I need Spencer to unpin Bush's ears or something. It's just a pretty boring looking garage these days.

Most of all. RIP Benny Parsons. Sundays are alot different without him.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:23 PM   #8
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by luds48 View Post
I'm really surprised to see you say that and I don't mean that sarcasticly. Based on some of your posts here It looks like you have been into Nascar for a while. As far as the cheating thing......when has cheating not been a part of Nascar? Also, I don't really like the chase either but the comments on how Gordon was ahead going into the chase made me laugh because Johnson has certainly been in that position too. You win some, you lose some. I also don't think there was a lack of competition. All those chase teams seemed pretty good to me and we saw some first time winners this year too.

That being said the whole feel of Nascar that got me into the sport is gone now. I'm not exactly sure why it's so boring but it is. I need Spencer to unpin Bush's ears or something. It's just a pretty boring looking garage these days.

Most of all. RIP Benny Parsons. Sundays are alot different without him.
To many years watching not to agree with that article.

I really miss the DW,Earnhardt,Spencer and Swirvin Irvin years.

BP Rip my friend.