Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 10-01-2020, 06:48 PM   #31
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Me thinks He needs to be kept in line. 😁
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:37 PM   #32
MAKAI
Too old to give a....

Nuff said Ted
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 03565F48-8A9B-48CB-A601-D7239DF62C43.jpeg (163.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpeg 646EA58B-97D1-4E70-9868-DFE428504A33.jpeg (39.8 KB, 5 views)

May fortune favor the foolish....
MAKAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:12 PM   #33
fishgolf

Well... didn't fish. But won the Mass Senior Amateur this week at Willow
Bend this week
fishgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 04:04 AM   #34
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgolf View Post
Bend this week
Wow, nice
Great course , played and worked there...
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:29 AM   #35
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Bend this week
Wow.... Wow! Congrats Don. Enjoyed the video interview, especially about wife commenting on the scores!

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:54 AM   #36
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Bend this week
Congrats and out of curiosity, what did you shoot? I've been thinking about next year, as my handicap is now consistently a 3-4, might be fun to give it a try.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:59 AM   #37
fishgolf

Thanks guys! In retrospect, apologies for posting that as it might seem boastful. I was just very happy. Best to all of you.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:04 AM   #38
Rockfish9

Quote:
Thanks guys! In retrospect, apologies for posting that as it might seem boastful. I was just very happy. Best to all of you.
not boastful... I dont golf ( but know plenty that do) and realize it's an accomplishment. Nice to see something positive instead of doom and gloom!

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 02:09 PM   #39
RickBomba

Quote:
Golf is for quitters, Don.

Just like boat fishing.

Holy Crap, that is really cool, and not very boastful, if you ask me.

John Redmond Thinks He's Smart By Changing My Avatar
RickBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 03:44 PM   #40
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
And who in the hell convinced me that the new moon on BI in November was ever a good deal? We did that like 2 or 3 times. Just froze our asses off didn't catch much and Rockhound dropped my fish.
I had some epic nights in November on MV, back in the 90s. Vet's Day weekend, virtually no one out on the beaches. Dragging a 3 oz jig through the old rip at Wasque, with a good SW blowing against the ebb, was a can't-miss deal.

Even as late as 10-11 years ago, you could still get schoolies and an occasional keeper at the East End of the Canal in early December. Lots of fun on an 8' rod, Sluggos on light jigheads.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 04:15 PM   #41
Clammer

there will ne schoolies around thru most of November . I don,t even fish the beaches until mid Oct at the earliest ><>

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:49 AM   #42
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Li.fish.Vt: John, you really need to fish more. Stop sitting around all day, wishing you were catching. Honestly, I don’t think you put in enough time...

With that said, hands down one of the most fun seasons I’ve ever had. Barely fished early on with the virus and a certain tackle shop sending the masses to other people’s back yards (literally). Started back up in Aug. Fished all over the place. Learned to accept my limitations. I just can’t wade bubble weed anymore with a knee that’s had 2 ACL reconstructions and a meniscus before the age of 35. Instead I worked with what I could. Couldn’t get in the boulders, so I started fishing spots where they met sand. Very rewarding and so much more enjoyable than constantly watching the horizon to see which roller wants to ruin your night. This allowed me to dial in on what I was doing and the results were very rewarding. This also led to me not fishing my favorite stretch as I took a bad spill back in June. I basically fished what I consider B+ spots. It was fun as hell and they produced like they would’ve back in the early 2000s. Fished with some great people. My circle is as tight as ever. Great fisherman, even better friends. The most epic sunrises and sunsets and that’s saying a lot because if anyone used to follow me on IG they know I’m a light show junkie. Highlight of the year was seeing a white shark from the beach. What a massive beast. Impressive animals. Wild seeing a pyramid move through the water 75 yards off the sand.

I’m done as my finances have been exhausted and there’s no fish left to be caught. (it’s over), but for me, this season was one for the books.... truly a “catching is a bonus” type year.
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:35 AM   #43
hq2

Yeah, that’s a better way of looking at it. 15 to 20 years ago, I went out hoping for keepers. Now, as the years of quality lifetime are dwindling, I just enjoy being OTW, and am glad to catch anything. Heading out this afternoon for a few relaxing hours of C and R on my own pond (without having to worry about missing the Pats game, due to COVID 19).
hq2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:58 PM   #44
fishgolf

Bart, that was a great post!
Old 10-04-2020, 06:29 PM   #45
Clammer

Bart doesn,t like boats

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 10-04-2020, 08:29 PM   #46
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Quote:
Bart, that was a great post!
Congrats on your amazing feat! Big time accomplishment. Somewhere Back Beach is smiling.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:42 PM   #47
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
Bart doesn,t like boats
LOL Not true. Ive been known to pitch or 3 way an eel from time to time, pre-injuries. I enjoy vertical jigging for BSB while waiting for the albies to pop up. But ever since my last surgery, I just feel like a liability. Wouldn't want to ruin someone's day because I couldn't get my legs under me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boatfish1.jpg (147.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg phatalbert.jpg (46.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg zeek.jpg (35.4 KB, 28 views)
Old 10-04-2020, 08:53 PM   #48
Clammer

no problem here .I never have a problem in turning around ………………….. except its when I find out that someone has a have to be home time

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 10-05-2020, 06:27 AM   #49
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
no problem here .I never have a problem in turning around ………………….. except its when I find out that someone has a have to be home time
Thanks, Mike. I appreciate all the invites over the years. Maybe next spring we can get on some pogies. I completely underestimated the Spring bite this year. My legs will be stronger and that’s relaxing fishing. Thanks bud, I’m sure I’ll see you on the beach this Fall even though it’s over and there’s no fish left to be caught lol

Last edited by bart; 10-05-2020 at 06:41 AM..
Old 10-05-2020, 06:40 AM   #50
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Oh, can I relate, Bart... Accepting limitations. Not wading where the others do.. Even this year not accepting invites to the offshore tuna hunt as I am still not sure I am stabile enough on my feet... Hell I only got out on my own boat 6-7 times. I too had many surgeries (5) on my right knee before getting a total replacement. I knew in the back of my mind that I would eventually need one, but am urging you to do everything you can to build up yours now. The TKR is not a silver bullet. That said, most are not as compromised as you and I were/are going into that surgery. High respect to all who have experienced it. I am much improved and actually walking well at 16 plus months post op, but getting this body in motion is not at all as easy as it was before the surgery.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:50 AM   #51
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Oh, can I relate, Bart... Accepting limitations. Not wading where the others do.. Even this year not accepting invites to the offshore tuna hunt as I am still not sure I am stabile enough on my feet... Hell I only got out on my own boat 6-7 times. I too had many surgeries (5) on my right knee before getting a total replacement. I knew in the back of my mind that I would eventually need one, but am urging you to do everything you can to build up yours now. The TKR is not a silver bullet. That said, most are not as compromised as you and I were/are going into that surgery. High respect to all who have experienced it. I am much improved and actually walking well at 16 plus months post op, but getting this body in motion is not at all as easy as it was before the surgery.
Thanks for this post. I had basically resigned myself to the fact that I was going to need double knee replacements, but I’m too young for that. Just going to keep working on my legs and overall health. I need a scope that I put off because of the virus. Still have a loose body under my knee cap from the last surgery that doesn’t allow my knee cap to track properly. I already have arthritis at age 37.

I want to stay in this game for a long time. I was busting Li Fish.In.Vt’s balls because John is an absolute beast and could run laps around people my age. He’s taken care of his body and he keeps moving. I want to be able to do the same 20 years from now.

Best of luck with your recovery.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:54 PM   #52
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I held off having mine done until I was in my 60s... In hindsight I wish I had done it in my forties... Pain in the joint and arthritis go away. And we heal better at younger ages.

Old 10-05-2020, 03:38 PM   #53
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I held off having mine done until I was in my 60s... In hindsight I wish I had done it in my forties... Pain in the joint and arthritis go away. And we heal better at younger ages.
This!
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 05:15 PM   #54
pbadad

Its been 10 months since the left knee replacement. I say its a 7 on a scale 1-10. Much much better than the old knee. No real pain just dealing with nerve numbness on rt side shin. I also have a slight clicking from under the patella(knee cap). Riding stationary bike 30 minutes a day helps getting the motion. The problem is the left knee needs doing soon. Im nursing it with a series of injections until this covid #^&#^&#^&#^& is over. Other problem is using more of the good knee to help the left one.
Rock hopping is basically a thing of the past. Hope to fill the void with beach fishing next year and maybe some easy shore formation. At 70 I still want to 50 or 49. LOL.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:48 PM   #55
MAKAI
Too old to give a....

What it looks like. Had it done in 2017. Walking 4-5 miles a day now. Wish I had a little more flexibility but relatively pain free. 1975 football injury, had a substantial piece of the cartilage removed. Ground it to dust before I went for it.

Old 10-05-2020, 07:51 PM   #56
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

That x-ray tech sucked... And I am being quite serious. The pics don't show any spacing between the tibia and femur.
Here's my xray set. I will spare you the stapled shots...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xrayknee1.jpg (322.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg xrayknee2.jpg (279.0 KB, 8 views)

Old 10-05-2020, 08:05 PM   #57
MAKAI
Too old to give a....

My new surgeon thinks I’ll be replacing the replacement sooner than later.
Can’t wait

Old 10-06-2020, 06:45 AM   #58
Rappin Mikey
My brother is bald

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Li.fish.Vt: John, you really need to fish more. Stop sitting around all day, wishing you were catching. Honestly, I don’t think you put in enough time...

With that said, hands down one of the most fun seasons I’ve ever had. Barely fished early on with the virus and a certain tackle shop sending the masses to other people’s back yards (literally). Started back up in Aug. Fished all over the place. Learned to accept my limitations. I just can’t wade bubble weed anymore with a knee that’s had 2 ACL reconstructions and a meniscus before the age of 35. Instead I worked with what I could. Couldn’t get in the boulders, so I started fishing spots where they met sand. Very rewarding and so much more enjoyable than constantly watching the horizon to see which roller wants to ruin your night. This allowed me to dial in on what I was doing and the results were very rewarding. This also led to me not fishing my favorite stretch as I took a bad spill back in June. I basically fished what I consider B+ spots. It was fun as hell and they produced like they would’ve back in the early 2000s. Fished with some great people. My circle is as tight as ever. Great fisherman, even better friends. The most epic sunrises and sunsets and that’s saying a lot because if anyone used to follow me on IG they know I’m a light show junkie. Highlight of the year was seeing a white shark from the beach. What a massive beast. Impressive animals. Wild seeing a pyramid move through the water 75 yards off the sand.

I’m done as my finances have been exhausted and there’s no fish left to be caught. (it’s over), but for me, this season was one for the books.... truly a “catching is a bonus” type year.
Even though I snuck up on your and John's fish, it was awesome sharing a tide with you that night. Even though they were smaller fish, we smoked them!

seals + plovers =
Rappin Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:23 PM   #59
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rappin Mikey View Post
Even though I snuck up on your and John's fish, it was awesome sharing a tide with you that night. Even though they were smaller fish, we smoked them!
It was good to see you, Mikey. Looking lean and mean brotha
Old 10-06-2020, 06:35 PM   #60
Higgie

Haven’t had full replacement but had acl with a hamstring graft four years ago at 34 years young. I’m not a small guy but I’m active had a decent recovery but took a few years to feel comfortable enough to walk on bowling balls all night or stand on a rock getting beat up by waves. On my feet all day by profession but I think the body in motion stays in motion keep building muscle strength around the weak points
Higgie is offline   Reply With Quote