Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-11-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
spence

Who won the debate last night?

I fell asleep.

Did they talk about anything anyone would care about?

I think Huntsman is going to catapult to the top soon.

-spence
Old 12-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I fell asleep.

-spence
RCP average has Huntsman surging at 2.5% as of the 9th...still in last and tied with your credability on various issues at this point...you could both use a "catapult"
Old 12-11-2011, 11:02 AM   #3
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
RCP average has Huntsman surging at 2.5% as of the 9th...still in last and tied with your credability on various issues at this point...you could both use a "catapult"
Please, if you're going to attack my credibility get specific. And no, that doesn't mean just make specific stuff up.

-spence
Old 12-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
scottw

I do...on a regular basis...if it weren't fun it would be quite tiring.... but you ignore and forge ahead with your lunacy as you have done here...
Old 12-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I fell asleep.

-spence
"Did they talk about anything anyone would care about?"

Nope. They didn't talk about blaming Dems for everytihing including the Lindburgh baby kidnapping. They didn't talk about how to make evertpne irrationally afraid of Democrats. They talked about how to actually fix the debt problem, so no, nothing you or your ilk would care about. It was a good night for you to howl at the moon instead.

"I think Huntsman is going to catapult to the top soon."

Wow. Very astute.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
Fly Rod

I fell asleep.

Tired from debating Jim in Ct.

No!

Your a Dreamer!

-spence
Old 12-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #7
scottw

pretty funny watching Obey-me tonight with Steve Croft .....

I read someone friendly to Obey-me once quoted describing him as "someone who always thinks he's the smartest in the room and out of the room and he's never wrong"...pretty accurate I think

even someone as friendly as Croft didn't buy the recycled bs that O was peddling, he didn't seem quite sure how to deal with the level of delusion that was exhibited..........

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_1...proval-rating/

Views of how he has handled the economy is the obvious drag on the president's ratings: While just 33 percent approve, 60 percent disapprove.

Similarly, just 35 percent approve his his handling of job creation while 58 percent disapprove.

Additionally, most Americans do not think the president's priorities for the country are in line with theirs. 54 percent say Mr. Obama doesn't share their priorities.

On the 2010 health care reform law, 51% of Americans disapprove of the law.

With nearly a year left before the 2012 election, 41 percent of Americans think Mr. Obama has performed his job well enough to be elected to a second term, but 54 percent don't think so.

66 percent of Americans say they do not have a clear idea of what he wants to accomplish in a second term.

Last edited by scottw; 12-12-2011 at 05:07 AM..
Old 12-12-2011, 07:23 AM   #8
Jim in CT

Gingrich is still on top, and he had the line of the night. Romney criticized Gingrich for being a career politician (which is untrue, Gingrich has been out of office for a long time), and Gingrich responded by saying "Mitt, the only reason you're not a career politician is because you lost an election to Ted Kennedy in 1994". When are people going to STOP asking Gingrich these "gotcha" questions, which he inevitably bashes you over the head with?

It also made me sick when the moderator, George Stefanapolis, asked all the candidates to gang up on Gingrich for his infidelity. I do think infidelity is fair game for a question. But I don't like it when a guy like Stefanopolis asks the question, because he was a senior policy advisor to Bill Clinton for 8 years. Bill Clinton is the patron saint of infidelity, and no one who worshipped at his altar for 8 years is in any position to challenge Gingrich for mistakes he made 15 years ago.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #9
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Bill Clinton is the patron saint of infidelity, and no one who worshipped at his altar for 8 years is in any position to challenge Gingrich for mistakes he made 15 years ago.
Let me get this right... Clinton is the patron saint of infidelity for getting some on the side, but Gingrich "made a mistake". I would think that someone like yourself with strong religious beliefs would find Gingrich, with his infidelity and 2 divorces, just as reprehensible as you find Clinton.

Yes, I understand that Clinton is a Democrat and therefore you hate him. However, remove the -D and -R, and they are both guys that fooled around on their wives.

I'm curious how you justify the double-standard. No politics. How is one man reprehensible for what he did and another "made a mistake"?
Old 12-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Let me get this right... Clinton is the patron saint of infidelity for getting some on the side, but Gingrich "made a mistake". I would think that someone like yourself with strong religious beliefs would find Gingrich, with his infidelity and 2 divorces, just as reprehensible as you find Clinton.

Yes, I understand that Clinton is a Democrat and therefore you hate him. However, remove the -D and -R, and they are both guys that fooled around on their wives.

I'm curious how you justify the double-standard. No politics. How is one man reprehensible for what he did and another "made a mistake"?
"I would think that someone like yourself with strong religious beliefs would find Gingrich, with his infidelity and 2 divorces, just as reprehensible as you find Clinton."

You have some irrefutably valid points, as usual.

However, someone with my religious beliefs understands that we're all imperfect. As far as anyone knows, Gingrich has been happily married for 15 years, is a devout Catholic, and he admits his sins and has asked for forgiveness. I don't see that as morally equivalent to Clinton using a 20 year-old girl's sexual organs as an ashtray, and then angrily denying it the next day, and suggesting that my problem is that I don't understand the definition of the word "is".

I find Gingrich's past actions there to be disgusting. I also believe in redemption for those who are sorry. By all accounts, Gingrich has been sorry for his flaws, and has been an above-the-board person, since he converted to Catholicism.

"I understand that Clinton is a Democrat and therefore you hate him. "

You understand me a whole lot less than you think. There are lots of Democrats I like, and lots of republicans I despise. I think very rationally about these things. I also think Clinton was a pretty good president, especially after he adopted conservative economics.

"I'm curious how you justify the double-standard. "

A double-standard is when you treat 2 things differently when they are, in fact, the same. Gingrich appears to me to be a sincere, devout Catholic who fully admits his sins. Clinton (while a good president in my opinion) is a weasel. I'd bet Clinton is still unfaithful to Hilary, and I'd bet that Newt has straightened himself out. That's the difference.

It's not a double standard when you treat 2 different things, as if they are different.

Here's a real double-standard...saying that Bush trampled civil liberties by passing the Patriot Act, but not holding it against Obama. Or calling Bush a war criminal for using predator drones and Guantanimo Bay, but calling Obama a good leader for doing the same, and even giving him the Nobel Peace Prize.. Those would be real double standards.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 12-12-2011 at 01:11 PM..
Old 12-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #11
Redsoxticket

Newt would have converted to any religion knowing he was getting a piece of ass 23 years younger.
Let's see he was about 49 years old and she was 26 years old at the time. Newt must have been saying to himself "OH GOD I DO BELIEVE IN XMAS"
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 12-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #12
JohnnyD

Quote:
"I would think that someone like yourself with strong religious beliefs would find Gingrich, with his infidelity and 2 divorces, just as reprehensible as you find Clinton."

You have some irrefutably valid points, as usual.

However, someone with my religious beliefs understands that we're all imperfect. As far as anyone knows, Gingrich has been happily married for 15 years, is a devout Catholic, and he admits his sins and has asked for forgiveness. I don't see that as morally equivalent to Clinton using a 20 year-old girl's sexual organs as an ashtray, and then angrily denying it the next day, and suggesting that my problem is that I don't understand the definition of the word "is".

I find Gingrich's past actions there to be disgusting. I also believe in redemption for those who are sorry. By all accounts, Gingrich has been sorry for his flaws, and has been an above-the-board person, since he converted to Catholicism.

"I understand that Clinton is a Democrat and therefore you hate him. "

You understand me a whole lot less than you think. There are lots of Democrats I like, and lots of republicans I despise. I think very rationally about these things. I also think Clinton was a pretty good president, especially after he adopted conservative economics.
Appreciate and can respect the opinion. Maybe it's my cynicism, but I personally don't have much confidence that either of them are all that great of human beings - mostly due to my distaste of most national level politicians.

Quote:
"I'm curious how you justify the double-standard. "

A double-standard is when you treat 2 things differently when they are, in fact, the same. Gingrich appears to me to be a sincere, devout Catholic who fully admits his sins. Clinton (while a good president in my opinion) is a weasel. I'd bet Clinton is still unfaithful to Hilary, and I'd bet that Newt has straightened himself out. That's the difference.

It's not a double standard when you treat 2 different things, as if they are different.
Whether it is or is not a double-standard is essentially an "in the eyes of the beholder" type of situation. Due to your opinion that Newt has converted and is repentant while Clinton has never been, eliminates the possibility of it appearing as a double-standard to you.

Quote:
Here's a real double-standard...saying that Bush trampled civil liberties by passing the Patriot Act, but not holding it against Obama. Or calling Bush a war criminal for using predator drones and Guantanimo Bay, but calling Obama a good leader for doing the same, and even giving him the Nobel Peace Prize.. Those would be real double standards.
Aside from you posts about Unions, I haven't agreed with you more than with the above. The quiet, continued support for extending the Patriot Act, his push for actions that erode our rights domestically, the increased warrant-less tracking of Americans at home and many other attacks on our right to privacy.... these are some of my biggest issues with Obama. It was my biggest issue with Bush and now is my biggest issue with Obama.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:
Appreciate and can respect the opinion. Maybe it's my cynicism, but I personally don't have much confidence that either of them are all that great of human beings - mostly due to my distaste of most national level politicians.

Whether it is or is not a double-standard is essentially an "in the eyes of the beholder" type of situation. Due to your opinion that Newt has converted and is repentant while Clinton has never been, eliminates the possibility of it appearing as a double-standard to you.

Aside from you posts about Unions, I haven't agreed with you more than with the above. The quiet, continued support for extending the Patriot Act, his push for actions that erode our rights domestically, the increased warrant-less tracking of Americans at home and many other attacks on our right to privacy.... these are some of my biggest issues with Obama. It was my biggest issue with Bush and now is my biggest issue with Obama.
"I personally don't have much confidence that either of them are all that great of human beings - mostly due to my distaste of most national level politicians."

I agree, most are jerks.

"Due to your opinion that Newt has converted and is repentant while Clinton has never been, eliminates the possibility of it appearing as a double-standard to you."

I'd say theere's more of a distinction that just my view. Both men cheated. Gingrich says he's sorry, and says he asked God for forgiveness. When we asked Clinton about it, he essentially told us to mid our own business. But you are correct, much of it is in the eye of the beholder.

"Aside from you posts about Unions, I haven't agreed with you more than with the above"

If you agree with me on unions (and I thought you did), you agree with me on a lot. My belief that unions are an indescribable source of bad things, is a cornerstone of my beliefs.

"It was my biggest issue with Bush and now is my biggest issue with Obama"

Funny. I liked that BUsh used those tools, and I like that Obama is doing it. I just don't luike the double-standard.

Hope your holidays are off to a good start Johnny.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #14
JohnnyD

Quote:
Hope your holidays are off to a good start Johnny.
Thank you. Same goes for you and your family. 2012 is going to be a very interesting year for me.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:
Thank you. Same goes for you and your family. 2012 is going to be a very interesting year for me.
Your welcome, and thanks. I believe you own your own business? I hope that 2012 is a great year, and that you become (if not already) one of the 1% that Obama and Spence blame for everything.

By "interesting", I hope you meen enriching, rewarding, and fulfilling. Sincerely.

Jamie
Old 12-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #16
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
I'd say theere's more of a distinction that just my view. Both men cheated. Gingrich says he's sorry, and says he asked God for forgiveness. When we asked Clinton about it, he essentially told us to mid our own business. But you are correct, much of it is in the eye of the beholder..
So, if Clinton had publicly said he asked God for forgiveness, you'd be OK w/ it moving forward? You have no proof he still cheats, or didn't ask for forgiveness, it is totally 'in the eye of the beholder'

They both have/had serious character issues.

The guys who wrote 'the right strikes back' had accounts from Newt's staffers that current wife wouldn't let him campaign overnight w/ out her there... does she get lonely? or does she fear once a cheat, always a cheat?

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 12-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #17
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
So, if Clinton had publicly said he asked God for forgiveness, you'd be OK w/ it moving forward? You have no proof he still cheats, or didn't ask for forgiveness, it is totally 'in the eye of the beholder'

The guys who wrote 'the right strikes back' had accounts from Newt's staffers that current wife wouldn't let him campaign overnight w/ out her there... does she get lonely? or does she fear once a cheat, always a cheat?
nice job stomping all over Jim and JD's love fest.....
Old 12-12-2011, 05:12 PM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post

"So, if Clinton had publicly said he asked God for forgiveness, you'd be OK w/ it moving forward?"

If Clinton responded the way Gingrish did, I would absolutely be OK with it. Otherwise, I'd be a hypocrit. And I'm not.

"You have no proof he still cheats, "

You are right. But I'd bet an awful lot of money that he still does, and it would be a sucker bet.

"or didn't ask for forgiveness"

I have proof that he didn't ask for forgiveness when first confronted. It was on TV. He angrily denied having the affair, then he said something insane about he only cheated if you don't know what the word "is" means.

"They both have/had serious character issues."

True. Know what else? Together, they proved that if you cut taxes, cut spending, balance the budget, and kick lazy people off welfare (the ones who ought to be working), you can really revitalize an economy. Maybe you haven;t noticed, but we could use that right now. So when the messiah Obama says that conservative economic principles "never work", which he said in Kansas last week, he is demonstrably wrong. Look at how the economy performed after Clinton/Gingrich did their thing. Not too shabby. What never works is socialism.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:00 AM   #19
JohnnyD

Quote:
Your welcome, and thanks. I believe you own your own business? I hope that 2012 is a great year, and that you become (if not already) one of the 1% that Obama and Spence blame for everything.

By "interesting", I hope you meen enriching, rewarding, and fulfilling. Sincerely.

Jamie
That's the interesting part. My business partner and I are going separate ways due to far too many differences of opinion. New ventures on the horizon for me... will be exciting and hopefully not a big flop. Thanks for the well wishes.