Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 04-26-2016, 06:13 AM   #1
Jimbo

Brushed stainless steel scratch fix

I should never underestimate my loving daughters' ability to come up with things for me to do inside when I wanna be outside. So one of them decided to take a scrunge (the plastic brillo like thing) to the brushed stainless surface on our oven. Rubbed across the grain leaving more an abrasive mark than a scratch. I figured out the surface is non-coated so it appears it can be fixed. There's a whole lot of solutions out there, most with mixed reviews. I found a new product, Rejuvunate Stainless Steel Scratch Eraser kit. Anyone ever try this or is it a $6 "As Seen on TV" mistake? Rather not make it worse and definitely don't want professional help (though my wife would say I could really use it).
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:41 AM   #2
ecduzitgood
time to go

Try some toothpaste if it just minor scratches and go in the same direction as the "grain". Nylon scuff pads can do the job but getting the right level of abrasive is the trick so if you can find a spot to test the abrasive pad to get the right "scratch" level try to find the right pad. Try and apply even pressure so you have and even "scuff"...finger tips don't apply even pressure across the contact area so use a small piece of wood to spread the pressure evenly. It can be tricky and takes some finesse but with patience and elbow grease it can be done.

Just found this
https://youtu.be/a2vtBHaipaA
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by ecduzitgood; 04-26-2016 at 07:00 AM..
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:36 AM   #3
Sea Dangles

Bar keepers friend will prevent that
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:03 AM   #4
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Bar keepers friend will prevent that
Didn't even think of that, it does work great on my stainless steel sink and revere copper bottom pans.
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:21 AM   #5
spence

Bar Keepers Friend and throw out the green scrubbing pads. I've read you can use sandpaper with the grain to reduce the scratches but there's always the risk of making things worse.

Call it patina.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote