Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 11-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
Mojo7
Mojo

Vega Set-up

I just got the Vega duplicator I ordered and I'm still waiting for the new lathe I ordered and was told it will be another 2-3 weeks before it ships so I'm thinking of setting it up on my old lathe for now. How tough is it to set up? Should I just wait till I get the new lathe? Doesn't look to hard to do.
Mojo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
Sgt Striper

Not hard, just takes a little time. Go slow and have some scrap stock for set up and testing.

"The lips stand out because she wants to suck on your Pikie."....Mike Laptew
Van Staal Service/Repair Technician
Sgt Striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #3
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo7 View Post
I just got the Vega duplicator I ordered and I'm still waiting for the new lathe I ordered and was told it will be another 2-3 weeks before it ships so I'm thinking of setting it up on my old lathe for now. How tough is it to set up? Should I just wait till I get the new lathe? Doesn't look to hard to do.
theres a lot of how to threads on the other site, all of which i have saved pm me if you want the links.

STORMR Pro Staff Member
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:50 AM   #4
Mojo7
Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchris401 View Post
theres a lot of how to threads on the other site, all of which i have saved pm me if you want the links.
Chris if you could please send me those links. Thanks Mark
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 12-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
Sgt Striper

Did you get some 3/4" shaft collars for the height adjustment. Those are a must if you are taking it on and off!

Old 12-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
Mojo7
Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Striper View Post
Did you get some 3/4" shaft collars for the height adjustment. Those are a must if you are taking it on and off!
I just grabbed some at the hardware store after reading it here last night after doing a search on set-up. Thanks. I'm out running a few errands then I'm going to set it up. I'll post later how I make out.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 12-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
Mojo7
Mojo

It's set-up. Thanks for all the help guys. Chef those links really helped. I also picked up the cutter that Paul (ProfM) makes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1193.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	53889  
Old 12-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
Sgt Striper

Dump the spring, it just gets you in trouble!

Old 12-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Quote:
It's set-up. Thanks for all the help guys. Chef those links really helped. I also picked up the cutter that Paul (ProfM) makes.
im jealous!

like Lou said lose the spring.

a lot of guys also take the vega cover off too.

make sure to keep the chains clean and free of debris.

hoping i can get my set up soon.

STORMR Pro Staff Member
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #10
smac

They are good tools. I thought it was relatively cheap when I first installed mine. But have turned a tone of plugs on it with only minor issues that are quick fixes.

Keep the company's info on hand. You will need a new brass sleeve that the chain tracks over by the end of the winter. If the Dup feels like its binding and not tracking smooth , be sure to check that brass sleeve.

Scott
Also, I like to make plexiglass templates rather than wooden templates.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac View Post
They are good tools. I thought it was relatively cheap when I first installed mine. But have turned a tone of plugs on it with only minor issues that are quick fixes.

Keep the company's info on hand. You will need a new brass sleeve that the chain tracks over by the end of the winter. If the Dup feels like its binding and not tracking smooth , be sure to check that brass sleeve.

Scott
Also, I like to make plexiglass templates rather than wooden templates.

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...eve-issue.html
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #12
Mojo7
Mojo

Thanks for the tips I'll make the changes tomorrow. I made a nike template out of plexiglass tonight from one that I got from Paul . What are you guys using to turn from a master or a template? I've tried both and both seemed to work good but wasn't sure if one was better than the other?
Old 12-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #13
pbadad

MoJo 7 I've used mainly plexi templates but their are a few 3 dimentional templates I made from a first spin off which work just as well. Just make that first spin off with a hard wood and occassionally rotate the template to keep it from flattening out. Also lose the spring and I would make a lever style screw( instead of thumb screw) stop to make it quick to lock and unlock the feed. I rarely use the stop screws with this set up.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #14
smac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Thanks NF. Some good info in there. Its one of those things I have been saying for a while I am going to modify , just keep putting it off.

Quote:
Thanks for the tips I'll make the changes tomorrow. I made a nike template out of plexiglass tonight from one that I got from Paul . What are you guys using to turn from a master or a template? I've tried both and both seemed to work good but wasn't sure if one was better than the other?
I chuck up the plug body I wanna dup between centers, replace cutter with an old dull one and replace stylus with a sanded down pencil. Slowly run the cutter down the side of the plug while the pencil lightly draws profile on plexiglass. Stick some white masking tape on face of plexi so the pencil line shows better. Cut the profile on the band saw slightly larger so you can sand the plexi nice and smooth down to the original line. Get the edge of plexi very smooth or it will show every divit on your plug body.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #15
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

oh yeah i said i was going to look into an idler sprocket type set up.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #16
onecastmike2003

Looks good on that Old Sears.
onecastmike2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #17
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Must be me but I keep the Spring and the cover on....I don't have any issues.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #18
Rockfish9

Quote:
I always turn my master by hand ( thus the 3/4" collars on the shaft for quick removal).. when it's exactly as I want it... I then insert a hard wood tracer into the cutting arm and put a pencil into the stylis( you will have to turn the pencil down to have it fit)... I glue paper to the lexan and insert it into the dupe... I then put a little tension on the pencil and with light presure on the plug, follow it with the dummy cutter... mark all holes and weights at this time... remove the lexan template and cut it on a scroll saw or band saw... sand any rough edges.. even the tiniest iregularity will show on the plug.. write any pertinant info on the paper.. save the master for set up if you like...personaly, I keep a half dozen of the common diameters for set up, and just store the flat plexi under the lathe bench... turned masters take up alot of space..so I usualy use them for experimentation..unless they are unique in some way..

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #19
fishing bum wannabe

Different method for creating a template.

You will need a scanner for this. Place the lure you want to use as a master on your scanner bed. Make sure it is level. Scan it at 100%. Output a print at 100%. The print can be attached to your template material with virtually any glue, I like spray contact cement, however I have used regular wood glue though it takes a while to set up. Cut the profile using whatever tools you have leaving about an extra 1/16" to trim. Sand the edge to final profile. I like using a belt sander and a sanding block for final shaping. I have had great success doing this. The nice thing is if I have a working prototype with hooks that I want to use (maybe borrowed?) I don't have to unrig it to use it. I've been doing this for 10 years.

fishing bum wannabe
fishing bum wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #20
smac

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Must be me but I keep the Spring and the cover on....I don't have any issues.
Me too. I give the dup a blast of air every once in a while.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #21
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishing bum wannabe View Post
You will need a scanner for this. Place the lure you want to use as a master on your scanner bed. Make sure it is level. Scan it at 100%. Output a print at 100%. The print can be attached to your template material with virtually any glue, I like spray contact cement, however I have used regular wood glue though it takes a while to set up. Cut the profile using whatever tools you have leaving about an extra 1/16" to trim. Sand the edge to final profile. I like using a belt sander and a sanding block for final shaping. I have had great success doing this. The nice thing is if I have a working prototype with hooks that I want to use (maybe borrowed?) I don't have to unrig it to use it. I've been doing this for 10 years.
Pretty much how I still do it and learned it from one of your early posts and I am still using the home made dup. I made with inspiration from your early posts too. It's all old school compared to what a lot of the guys use nowadays but that is why I like it.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:13 AM   #22
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Yup I do it the same....people re always looking at me strange when I put a lure on the copier at work.

if you want to make a mini version scan it at a reduced size to make the template.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #23
Mr. Krinkle
Covered in Sawdust

another suggestion...not better by any means, but I trace the profile off the plug i'm looking to duplicate on a piece of 1/8 masonite. I take my jigsaw and cut out the profile. I use that as my template. If I need to shave a little down off the template I just take a piece of sandpaper and do what I have to do. Very easy to do. Good luck
Mr. Krinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #24
Mojo7
Mojo

Thanks for all the help guys. I've been transferring my masters and old templates to 1/8' plexi with the paper on it so I can have all my measurements and hook, eye, & weight markings on them. It's been a little bit of work to do but I can see how in the end it will be easier and a little more accurate.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #25
Sgt Striper

Quote:
Thanks for all the help guys. I've been transferring my masters and old templates to 1/8' plexi with the paper on it so I can have all my measurements and hook, eye, & weight markings on them. It's been a little bit of work to do but I can see how in the end it will be easier and a little more accurate.
Keep them in a safe and secure place!! You know that Skippy guy

Old 12-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #26
Mojo7
Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Striper View Post
Keep them in a safe and secure place!! You know that Skippy guy
Your not kidding Lou he's a little shady!