Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 07-04-2018, 06:17 AM   #1
Jim in CT

Downeast center consoles?

Saw a really cool boat moored off p-town last week, it was a 20-21 foot downeast hull with nice high gunnels and an outboard, and a small doghouse which enclosed the center console.

I loved it. Always on the lookout for my dream retirement boat ( a 22 - 26 foot center console workboat, single outboard, lots of fishable deck space). There’s Something about that downeast hull design that I like. I don’t know too many downeast center console manufacturers. Any suggestions as to where to look?

Not looking for a boat you’d expect to be driven by a guy with a cashmere sweater tied around his neck. I want a boat I can get bloody, maybe something I can use to manage 10 lobster pots someday, if I have a few good years between retirement and the grave.

I’d love somehing around 24-25 feet that has that Maine, downeast, Calvin Beal kind of a look to it. Something like a Weber’s cove, general marine, somehing like that.

Judge yachts down on the Chesapeake look like nice boats, semi custom. Not sure you’d call them downeast?

Fun to look. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:13 AM   #2
Nebe

How about an eastern ?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:10 AM   #3
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
How about an eastern ?

This was what I was thinking.

That said a Northcoast might be a good consideration as it is a bit downeast and a bit more R&R spec'd

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:22 AM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
This was what I was thinking.

That said a Northcoast might be a good consideration as it is a bit downeast and a bit more R&R spec'd
Those are great suggestions, thanks nebe and John.

I want something that can take a beating too. And low maintenance if possible, with more of a commercial, spartan finish. Not downeast, but I often wander back to pacific boats, Welded aluminum tanks that are indestructible, require no waxing or polishing, just blast it with a pressure washer now and then.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:49 AM   #5
spence

Get a Hinckley Picnic Boat. Just make sure you scotch guard the cushions so the blood doesn’t stain them. I’ve got lots of nice Italian cashmere, you’re covered there.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:05 AM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Get a Hinckley Picnic Boat. Just make sure you scotch guard the cushions so the blood doesn’t stain them. I’ve got lots of nice Italian cashmere, you’re covered there.
No picnic boats!! I’d love an older Calvin Beal lobster boat, converted to a center console, and set up for an outboard.

Have a great holiday.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:15 AM   #7
Jim in CT

something like this 22' northern bay...but 2-3 feet bigger,,,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg downeast.jpg (13.7 KB, 35 views)
Old 07-04-2018, 11:24 AM   #8
Jim in CT

OK, northern bay makes a 26 footer available as a center console, and can be set up for outboards per the website.

Anybody know anything about them? This is the 26 foot center console, this is pretty close to what I am envisioning...except I want a puny little console...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg downeast2.jpg (133.5 KB, 39 views)
Old 07-04-2018, 01:50 PM   #9
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Not to stear anyone from this site but you should check out thedowneastdorum.com.
Nothing but Downeast boat !
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 02:54 PM   #10
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Downeast hulls are planing hulls with a narrow entry. Fuel efficient and stable but wet and prone to pound at speed when in an outboard configuration. It is a hull design that benefits from inboard power and plenty of shelter in my opinion. There are good reasons most open water outboard powered boats are either deep V or Modified V. Before you buy a boat on looks it helps to understand what you expect from it and what each design offers to achieve it.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:15 PM   #11
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Not to stear anyone from this site but you should check out thedowneastdorum.com.
Nothing but Downeast boat !

https://downeastboatforum.com/

FIFY ; )

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:31 PM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Downeast hulls are planing hulls with a narrow entry. Fuel efficient and stable but wet and prone to pound at speed when in an outboard configuration. It is a hull design that benefits from inboard power and plenty of shelter in my opinion. There are good reasons most open water outboard powered boats are either deep V or Modified V. Before you buy a boat on looks it helps to understand what you expect from it and what each design offers to achieve it.
They can be wet. I knew a guy who had one, liked the efficiency and ride. Thanks for the comments though, appreciate that!
Old 07-04-2018, 04:09 PM   #13
Raider Ronnie

[QUOTE=numbskull;1145978]Downeast hulls are planing hulls with a narrow entry.

1/2 correct
Downeast hulls are Displacement hulls with Steep Narrow entries and flatten out towards the stern.
Some builders will modify by adding lifting rails to give them some lift (planing hull) but they generally plow through the water (displace)
The steep narrow entries make them superior in a head Sea but the flat aft stern makes them a challenge in a following Sea.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:38 PM   #14
ed morini

Downeast

While the looks of the downeast type craft certainly has eye appeal, you have to really investigate the type of graft of your interested. The term work craft is just that and many are designed for certain types of work. The Downeast typically Beals Isle, Royal Lowell, Holland, and Macintosh are a product of years of development for existing conditions. The typical "lobster boat" if that exists usually is defined by a fine entry a somewhat full bilge and a straight run aft. The two forward sections are an effort to compensate for the straight run aft that is needed for heavy loads of pots and deck space to store them. Unloaded the aft will pound even with eased bilges, in some case a steady sail is used to help with handling. Loaded, these boats are very safe and can take a beating, light, requires care and an able skipper.
You really need to research style you are considering.
On the retail market of days gone by the Mackensie "Cuttyhunk" and the Brownell (an Elridge design) later "Fortier" were craft well known for craft for fishing and eye catching details. And even here there are those that would argue both for and against these designs.
Good luck with your search!!!!
Ed
ed morini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:07 PM   #15
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed morini View Post

On the retail market of days gone by the Mackensie "Cuttyhunk" and the Brownell (an Elridge design) later "Fortier" were craft well known for craft for fishing and eye catching details

Ed

The Cuttyhunk bass boat was the first thing I thought of when I read Jim's post.
Just the history of those is amazing but the work involved in the wood can be overbearing. A labor of love for sure.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:17 AM   #16
Guppy
User

Mackensie "Cuttyhunk"
Haven’t seen one in a while but I’ll guess several still in service.... kick ass boat..
I miss my 24’ double planked Chris Craft sea skiff, miss being in my early 20’s even more... ;-)
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:02 AM   #17
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

My brother has been in a partnership owning a 1957 Beals Island 34 since the late 90s. I will try to get a pic up later. It was a working lobster boat in its previous life. 2 1/2 years out of water to take most of the hog out of the hull's starboard side. Slippery bottom that shallows out aft, made it a challenge to baffle when we changed out from dry stack to wet exhaust. Had to raise coach roof to accommodate partner when at helm. Cut a hole in floor and installed Nomex platform until we did the coach roof. Rebuilt transom, knees, etc so she now 34-ish feet long... Old wood boats.... Aptly named for what he should have done; Firewood
Attached Images
File Type: jpg firewood.jpg (267.0 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by nightfighter; 07-05-2018 at 08:49 AM..

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:36 AM   #18
wdmso

its tough decision I had to choose between what i wanted and what i could afford

I enjoy my 234 Seahunt Ultra but I should have just bit the bullet and went 26 or 28 ft saw a New Calcutta 26 off Sakonnet point 2 days ago its on my wishlist
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:15 AM   #19
agsurfr

I am a complete newbie in terms of boats, but i have this retirement pipe dream about owning one i could use around Martha's Vineyard, poking and prodding the north shore. I was wondering if the Allied fits into this conversation at all??
agsurfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:48 AM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by agsurfr View Post
I am a complete newbie in terms of boats, but i have this retirement pipe dream about owning one i could use around Martha's Vineyard, poking and prodding the north shore. I was wondering if the Allied fits into this conversation at all??
I don't know much about boats either, that's why I love picking their brains. The Allieds look pretty tough, I see they make a 24 footer. Hmmm.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:58 AM   #21
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Mackensie "Cuttyhunk"
Haven’t seen one in a while but I’ll guess several still in service.... kick ass boat..
I miss my 24’ double planked Chris Craft sea skiff, miss being in my early 20’s even more... ;-)
Found her.... (one just like it ;-) )

https://boats-from-usa.com/chris-cra...ed-white-77466
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:33 PM   #22
Sea Dangles

My brother owns an Allied,not sure why.
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:08 PM   #23
bassballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
My brother has been in a partnership owning a 1957 Beals Island 34 since the late 90s. I will try to get a pic up later. It was a working lobster boat in its previous life. 2 1/2 years out of water to take most of the hog out of the hull's starboard side. Slippery bottom that shallows out aft, made it a challenge to baffle when we changed out from dry stack to wet exhaust. Had to raise coach roof to accommodate partner when at helm. Cut a hole in floor and installed Nomex platform until we did the coach roof. Rebuilt transom, knees, etc so she now 34-ish feet long... Old wood boats.... Aptly named for what he should have done; Firewood
Beautiful vessel. Lots of labor there.
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:15 PM   #24
bassballer

Ive grown up and owned Deep V Center consoles and never wanted anything else. Now that I have a 28 Albin ive fell in love with a keeled single screw diesel. My next boat (after daycare is over), will be a H&H 32' Osmond beal with some creature comforts for the wife and son for overnights.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:40 PM   #25
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassballer View Post
Ive grown up and owned Deep V Center consoles and never wanted anything else. Now that I have a 28 Albin ive fell in love with a keeled single screw diesel. My next boat (after daycare is over), will be a H&H 32' Osmond beal with some creature comforts for the wife and son for overnights.
32 H&H is a very good boat.
But if you want a great Sea boat with speed look into a 33 Flower’s.
Best Downeast boat in its size range in my opinion.
My son Leo & I are planning to move up to one in a year or 2 (after he graduates from Ma Maritime) from my 28 BHM.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:46 PM   #26
bassballer

Quote:
32 H&H is a very good boat.
But if you want a great Sea boat with speed look into a 33 Flower’s.
Best Downeast boat in its size range in my opinion.
My son Leo & I are planning to move up to one in a year or 2 (after he graduates from Ma Maritime) from my 28 BHM.
Ive fished a bunch on a 28' BHM and loved that boat as well
Old 07-05-2018, 06:24 PM   #27
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassballer View Post
Ive fished a bunch on a 28' BHM and loved that boat as well
It’s probably the biggest 28 Downeast but has its limitations.
Steve Law built 1 I know of as a center console..
Search 28 Seaworthy center console on the DEboat forum
Old 07-06-2018, 09:16 AM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:
It’s probably the biggest 28 Downeast but has its limitations.
Steve Law built 1 I know of as a center console..
Search 28 Seaworthy center console on the DEboat forum
That is a bad azz center console, the 28 seaworthy...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg downeast.jpg (26.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 07-06-2018, 10:43 AM   #29
OLD GOAT
OLDGOAT7205963

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
I'll 2nd that.
OLD GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:27 AM   #30
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Mackensie "Cuttyhunk"

Similar to a mackenzie bass boat... I love wood boats

https://www.firstlightboatworks.com/design-build/

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 06:06 AM..
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote