Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 12-18-2008, 11:06 PM   #1
rexhamer

Favorite Sports Moments in Person

My buddy and I saw the documentary film last week about the Harvard-Yale 29-29 game in 1968. We went because we were both 13-year old ticket-takers that year at the Stadium and saw the game in person.

Afterwards, my buddy asked if that was the greatest sporting event I ever attended. As I had also been at the Pats-Raiders 'Snow Bowl' at Foxboro in 2001 it was a tough choice.

We then started to talk about what sporting events we wished we could have been at. My list, in no particular order:

USA vs. Soviets at Lake Placid in 1980
Red sox over Cards in game 4 of 2004
Pats first Super Bowl over Rams in New Orleans ( I'm jealous because I know a bunch of people who were there.)
Game 6 of the 1975 World Seies
Larry Bird/Dominique Wilkins mano-a-mano in the playoffs.

So, two querstions for everyone:

1) What great events have you witnessed in person?

2) And if they could put you in a time machine, what would you choose to attend?

"Time and tides wait for no man", ... and neither do the fish.
rexhamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:15 AM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I was at Dwight Evans return to Fenway game....that guy was a class act.

Went to the Bee Game at three Rivers Stadium when i was in Pittsburgh.....a swarm of bees buzzed everybody in the stadium

Almost got to go to game 7 acls at yankee stadium...guy was on his way to see me to give me his ticket and got intercepted by the Cute Girl in the office....He Was Friggin Weak

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:05 PM   #3
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Was at the Bruins game and it was Bobby Orr's 21st birthday and he scored the winning goal against the Chicago Blackhawks. Great game. Stan Mikita, Golden Jet, Tony O, fights, that whole 9 yards.
That was also the year he won all 4 trophy's and was sportsman of the year. The best , by far.
CHECK OUT THE STICKY

Last edited by ProfessorM; 12-19-2008 at 06:11 PM..

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Was at Carl Yastrzemski's last 2 games in 1983! Yaz Day (2nd to last game) had front row in front of the visiting on deck circle! When he made his lap around Fenway to say goodbye to the fans......I got to "high five" him after I took what I think is one of the best photos of him making his farewell lap! I will post a pic shortly! I saw 15 games that year including his last Opening Day! He sure was a great ball player! Also went to his induction ceremony 5 years later and saw him inducted along with Johnny Bench, Red Schoendist, Al Barlick and Harry Carey!

Saw Ted Williams in the first ever "Old Timers Game" at Fenway Park!! The most amazing thing about this day was what happened when Teddy Ballgame stepped into the batting cage to take a few warmup swings!!!! The media was just crammed up against the outside of the cage and when Ted got in there they all squatted down so as not to block everyones view......the place fell silent as he took a few swings and I gotta tell you.....it gave me chills to see him, even at his age line one into the outfield.....his swing was still a thing of beauty! He also made a shoe string catch of a ball hit to left.....the crowd went berserk!!!! Wow! Ted Williams!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Yaz , man I luved that guy when I was a kid

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:21 PM   #6
leo33

2007 Red Sox vs Yankees when the Sox hit back to back to back to back home runs.i was sitting 10' from Pesky's pole.awesome game.
leo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:29 PM   #7
Squid kids Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Was at Carl Yastrzemski's last 2 games in 1983! Yaz Day (2nd to last game) had front row in front of the visiting on deck circle! When he made his lap around Fenway to say goodbye to the fans......I got to "high five" him after I took what I think is one of the best photos of him making his farewell lap! I will post a pic shortly! I saw 15 games that year including his last Opening Day! He sure was a great ball player! Also went to his induction ceremony 5 years later and saw him inducted along with Johnny Bench, Red Schoendist, Al Barlick and Harry Carey!

Saw Ted Williams in the first ever "Old Timers Game" at Fenway Park!! The most amazing thing about this day was what happened when Teddy Ballgame stepped into the batting cage to take a few warmup swings!!!! The media was just crammed up against the outside of the cage and when Ted got in there they all squatted down so as not to block everyones view......the place fell silent as he took a few swings and I gotta tell you.....it gave me chills to see him, even at his age line one into the outfield.....his swing was still a thing of beauty! He also made a shoe string catch of a ball hit to left.....the crowd went berserk!!!! Wow! Ted Williams!!
Larry..I was on the other side of the field, 1st row ,that same day..What a day..

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:40 AM   #8
Slipknot
Super Moderator

1978 1 game playoff yanks/sox
Bucky bleepin Dent not the best game but memorable.

also saw the 1996 afc championship game pats/jags wind chill of 25 below that night, great game. Big play Willie Clay came up with the clinching pick at the end.

Larry, that is pissa for you

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:07 AM   #9
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Slip I know you have seen alot of great Pats games...there must be more??

Tune in tonight and I will post some great Yaz pics.....Mike you will like these!

Old 12-20-2008, 11:21 AM   #10
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Slip I know you have seen alot of great Pats games...there must be more??

Tune in tonight and I will post some great Yaz pics.....Mike you will like these!

I was at the playoff game vs the Oilers (1978?), when Bum Phillips called the "bumarooski" play---shovel pass out of field goal formation--that gave Houston a key first down and changed the momentum of the game.

It was also the game where Fairbanks announced that he was leaving to take the HC job at the University of Colorado, before the game. The Pats wound up losing, and the fans pelted Fairbanks with oranges as he left the field.

It was the end of that first good run of Pats' seasons. "Fargo" Earhardt replaced Fairbanks and the Pats went into the crapper for a number of seasons.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:05 PM   #11
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Yes Larry, seen all the home playoff games since 2001 except the snow game/Oakland, but my brother was there atleast, then he and his wife went to New Orleans for superbowl 36 the lucky bastard.
The Titans in 03 divisional playoff was the coldest ever, 2 degrees at game time , beer was frozen. The next week saw the Colts get beat and JohnR and Clammer were there before the game with us, it only snowed and was not as cold that game.
Any Jets/pats playoff game is always great lots of their fans there to jaw with.

Mike, they sure did go downhill after he quit on the team
Glad they got it together with a real good owner and coach now.

Last edited by Slipknot; 12-21-2008 at 09:03 AM..

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:14 PM   #12
Bigcat

I was only 12 years old, sitting first row box seats first base line.
Watched Ted Williams last at bat home run to center field.
We used to go to 30+ games a year my big sister worked for the Sox

Fly & Light Tackle Fishing
Bigcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:24 PM   #13
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
Mike, they sure did go downhill after he quit on the team
Glad they got it together with a real good owner and coach now.
I'm trying to remember the details. I think that Billy Sullivan originally wasn't going to let him coach the game, but somehow Fairbanks wound up on the sidelines anyway. Maybe the players went to bat for him. I remember that Sullivan got a standing O when he walked out onto the field, while Fairbanks was booed--roundly.

When you think of the talent on those Fairbanks teams--how they never went beyond the first round of the playoffs is beyond me

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:56 AM   #14
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

A few photos I took during Yaz last season! The color photo is his last Opening Day......the others were taken during the season.....the one of Yaz waving was taken during his infamous "Yaz Day" farewell lap around Fenway! I snapped the picture and gave him a high five......quite memorable! The ticket stubs were from his last 2 games! Notice the prices!! $8..00 reserved in the front row for "Yaz Day"!!!

Note about his last game......I was on the Red Sox side of the field standing in the aisle next to the dugout as Yaz came off the field for the last time. He came to the side of the dugout, took off his last game cap and handed it to a young boy in the stands. Quite a nice gesture I thought......and a great memory!

Who is the player in the Bruin uniform???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yaz1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	30586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yaz2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	30587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bourque.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	30588  

Old 12-21-2008, 08:19 AM   #15
Squid kids Dad

Bourque

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:58 AM   #16
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
I was in one of my plow trucks with in 2 miles of Foxboror stadium during the F***ing snow bowl !

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:28 AM   #17
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Bourque pre-handing over his number "7" to Phil Esposito!

Old 12-21-2008, 10:15 AM   #18
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
I was in one of my plow trucks with in 2 miles of Foxboror stadium during the F***ing snow bowl !

must of been a of incedental plow damage that day.....

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:46 AM   #19
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid kids Dad View Post
Bourque

Yup--early on before they retired Esposito's number. I remember the ceremony--Bourque came out wearing #7, and when Espo came out to be honored, Borque took off the jersey to reveal that he was wearing 77 under it.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:02 PM   #20
basswipe

Best being at the '99 Daytona 500 and watching Jeff Gordon win.

I can also recall the worst.Being the '01 500 and Earnhardt Sr.'s death.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:25 PM   #21
striperman36
Old Guy

Lakers - Celtics Game 7 1984 - the humidity was 100 pct, the temp was about that in the garden that day. My clothes were trash after that

Bobby Clarke, slices his face in the first period requiring over 30 stitches, he took shifts in the 3rd period

Bobby Clarke's Flyers vs the Central Russian Army in 1984 at the Spectrum
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:14 PM   #22
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

1959 ,Yankee stadium Giants vs Cleveland.

My friend had tickets in the end zone and at the end of the game we jumped out on the field which was the usual at that time.

I was 6'4" about #220 at the time and as a i went down the field Jim Brown with his helmet on and a bloody gash over the bridge of his nose was walking toward me.
He looked like a towering giant, and when i saw the size of his legs, the size of telephone poles, i said to myself how could you ever tackle this guy coming at you full speed when you couldn't even wrap him up.

Just the pure size and power of this man was awe inspiring.
Prolly small by today's standards, but a moment frozen in time i could never forget.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:57 PM   #23
Slipknot
Super Moderator

That's cool JPI

Old 12-28-2008, 10:51 PM   #24
freebie

04 games 4 and 5 of the alcs sox vs. yanks, game 4 we were 13 rows behind home plate dead center, game 5 six rows off the third base line in front of yankees on deck circle, not sure which game was better, but each one you could feel something special brewing all night
freebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:12 PM   #25
EarnedStripes44

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
1959 ,Yankee stadium Giants vs Cleveland.

My friend had tickets in the end zone and at the end of the game we jumped out on the field which was the usual at that time.

I was 6'4" about #220 at the time and as a i went down the field Jim Brown with his helmet on and a bloody gash over the bridge of his nose was walking toward me.
He looked like a towering giant, and when i saw the size of his legs, the size of telephone poles, i said to myself how could you ever tackle this guy coming at you full speed when you couldn't even wrap him up.

Just the pure size and power of this man was awe inspiring.
Prolly small by today's standards, but a moment frozen in time i could never forget.
that is excellent
EarnedStripes44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:01 PM   #26
slow eddie
slow eddie

i had the luck to be at the old garden for havlichek"s last game. i actually felt the hair rise on the back of my neck. never to be forgotten.

put them back alive. i do have grandkids.
as your hair gets whiter, your gear gets lighter.
slow eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:29 PM   #27
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Now bear in mind that the average safety weighed about 175 pounds back then, and few linebackers went more than 215

Brown averaged almost 5 yards a carry---for his career

Old 01-04-2009, 10:53 AM   #28
Backbeach Jake

Thumbs up My Last High School Game

My brother, Bob, who butted heads with our coach and was rewarded with a season long spot on the bench. The last game was wrapped up in the 4th quarter and the coach sent Bob in to receive a kick off. I watched as he calmly took the ball and wove his way through the tacklers and scored. The look on the coach's face was priceless. A player who he had discounted knew what he was doing. A look of stunned realization on his mug that I'll never forget.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote