Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-09-2008, 09:17 AM   #1
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
hussein hussein hussein

Your hero says "shut up".

Feb. 28, 2008 | In Cincinnati, Bill Cunningham, according to the Los Angeles Times, introducing presidential candidate John McCain at a rally Tuesday, "ridiculed Democratic contender Barack Obama for his intention to meet with 'world leaders who want to kill us' and pointedly referred to the Illinois senator as 'Barack Hussein Obama.'" John McCain repudiated Cunningham's low tactics and said that using the middle name like that three times was "inappropriate" and would never happen again at one of his rallies.

I want to say something about Barack Hussein Obama's name. It is a name to be proud of. It is an American name. It is a blessed name. It is a heroic name, as heroic and American in its own way as the name of Gen. Omar Nelson Bradley or the name of Benjamin Franklin. And denigrating that name is a form of racial and religious bigotry of the most vile and debased sort. It is a prejudice against names deriving from Semitic languages!

Christian, Western heroes have often been bequeathed Middle Eastern names. Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar, the medieval Spanish hero, carried the name El Cid, from the Arabic al-Sayyid, "the Lord."

Barack and Hussein are Semitic words. Americans have been named with Semitic names since the founding of the republic. Fourteen of our 43 presidents have had Semitic names (see below). And American English contains many Arabic-derived words that we use every day and without which we would be much impoverished. America is a world civilization with a world heritage, something Cunningham will never understand.

Barack is a Semitic word meaning "to bless" as a verb or "blessing" as a noun. In its Hebrew form, barak, it is found all through the Bible. It first occurs in Genesis 1:22 -- "And God blessed (ḇāreḵə) them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth."

Now let us take the name "Hussein." It is from the Semitic word hasan, meaning "good" or "handsome." Husayn is the diminutive, affectionate form.

Barack Obama's middle name is in honor of his grandfather, Hussein, a secular resident of Nairobi, Kenya. Americans may think of Saddam Hussein when they hear the name, but that is like thinking of Stalin when you hear the name Joseph. There have been lots of Husseins in history, from the grandson of the prophet Mohammed, a hero who touched the historian Gibbon, to King Hussein of Jordan, one of America's most steadfast allies in the 20th century. The author of the beloved American novel "The Kite Runner" is Khaled Hosseini.

But in Obama's case, it is just a reference to his grandfather.

It is worth pointing out that John McCain's adopted daughter, Bridget, is originally from Bangladesh. Since Hussein is a very common name in Bangladesh, it is entirely possible that her birth father or grandfather was named Hussein. McCain certainly has Muslim relatives via adoption in his family. If Muslim relatives are a disqualification from high office in the United States, then McCain himself is in trouble. In fact, since Bridget is upset that George W. Bush doesn't like her "because she is black," and used her to stop the McCain campaign in South Carolina in 2000, you understand why McCain would be especially sensitive to race baiting of Cunningham's sort. The question is how vigorously he will combat it; he hasn't been above Muslim taunting in the campaign so far. (And the McCains really should let Bridget know that she is Asian, not "black." The poor girl; Bush and Rove have done a number on her, and Cindy's confusion can't help.)

The other thing to say about grandfathers named Hussein is that very large numbers of African-Americans probably have an ancestor 10 or 11 generations ago with that name, in what is now Mali or Senegal or Nigeria. And since so many thousands of Arab Muslims were made to convert to Catholicism in Spain after 1501, many Latinos have distant ancestors named Hussein, too. In fact, since there was a lot of Arab-Spanish intermarriage, and since there was subsequent Spanish intermarriage with other European Catholics, more European Americans are descended from a Hussein than they realize. The British royal family is quite forthright about the Arab line in its ancestry going back to Andalusia.

Obama, being a cousin of #^&#^&#^&#^& Cheney on one side and having relatives in Kenya on the other, is just more and more typical of the 21st century United States.

So, anyway, Obama's first two names mean "blessing, the good." If we are lucky enough to get him for president, we can only hope that his names are prophetic for us.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 07-09-2008, 09:18 AM   #2
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Which brings me to Omar Bradley. Omar is an alternative spelling of Umar, i.e., Umar ibn al-Khattab, the second caliph of Sunni Islam. Presumably Gen. Bradley was named for the poet Omar Khayyam, who bore the caliph's name. Omar Khayyam's "Rubaiyat," in the "translation" of Edward FitzGerald, became enormously popular in Victorian America.

Gen. Omar Bradley, who bore a Semitic, Muslim first name, and shared it with the second caliph of Sunni Islam, was the hero of D-day and Normandy, of the Battle of the Bulge and the Ruhr.

Would Cunningham see Omar Bradley as un-American, as an enemy because of his name?

What about other American heroes, such as Gen. George Joulwan, former NATO supreme allied commander of Europe? "Joulwan" is an Arabic name. Or there is Gen. John Abizaid, former CENTCOM commander. Abizaid is an Arabic name. Abi means Abu or "father of," and Zaid is a common Arab first name. Is Cunningham good enough to wipe their shoes? Is he going to call them traitors because they have Arabic names?

What about Rep. Darrell Issa of California? ("'Isa" means Jesus in Arabic). Former Cabinet secretary Donna Shalala? (Shalala means "waterfall" in Arabic.)

I won't go into all the great Americans with Arabic names in sports, entertainment and business, against whom Cunningham would apparently discriminate on that basis. Does he want to take citizenship away from Kareem Abdul Jabbar (meaning "noble the servant of the Mighty") and Ahmad Jamal (meaning "the most praised, beauty")? What about Rihanna ("sweet basil," "aromatic")? And Tony Shalhoub (i.e., Mr. Monk)?

Let us take Benjamin Franklin. His first name is from the Hebrew Bin Yamin, the son of the Right (hand), or the son of strength, or the son of the South (yamin or right has lots of connotations). The "Bin" means "son of," just as in modern colloquial Arabic. Bin Yamin Franklin is not a dishonorable name because of its Semitic root. By the way, there are lots of Muslims named Bin Yamin.

As for an American president bearing a name derived from a Semitic language, that is hardly unprecedented.

John Adams really only had Semitic names. His first name is from the Hebrew Yochanan, or gift of God, which became Johan and then John. (In German and in medieval English, "y" is represented by "j" but was originally pronounced "y.") Adams is from the biblical Adam, which also just means "human being." In Arabic, one way of saying "human being" is "Bani Adam," the children of men.

Thomas Jefferson's first name is from the Aramaic Tuma, meaning "twin." Aramaic is a Semitic language spoken by Jesus, which is related to Hebrew and Arabic. In Arabic, twin is tau'am, so you can see the similarity.

James Madison, James Monroe and James Polk all had a Semitic first name, derived from the Hebrew Ya'aqov or Jacob, which is Ya'qub in Arabic. It became Iacobus in Latin, then was corrupted to Iacomus, and from there became James in English.

Zachary Taylor's first name is from the Hebrew Zachariah, which means "the Lord has remembered."

Abraham Lincoln, of course, is named for the patriarch Abraham, from the Semitic word for father, Ab, and the word for "multitude," raham. Abu, "father of," is a common element in Arab names today.

So, Mr. Cunningham, Barack Hussein Obama fits right in this list of presidents with Semitic names. In fact, we haven't had one for a while. We are due for another one.

A blessed and good one.

source: http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature...02/28/hussein/

Summary: find something new to harp on.
Its old and tired.

Last edited by likwid; 07-09-2008 at 09:24 AM..

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 07-09-2008, 10:24 AM   #3
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

all true and I agree. BUT....all taken out of context with the points in history.

For example...If Bradleys name was Yoshinawa Bradley or Gunter Von Bradley, he wouldnt have been leading any forces in WWII. Guaranteed.

Hussein may be a fine name, but the reality of the times is that we (right or wrong) just overthrew a dictator with the same last name. And radical muslims (not all muslims) have declared war on this nation, thus any Presidential candiate with ANY ties should receive some scrutiny over his upbrining or religiious background. To me its not racism or bigotry, its common sense.

Man had learned millions of years ago to avoid Sabertooth tigers and befriend dogs. Its that type of rationalizing that allows the race to survive. I'd hate to see our common sense be ruled out by political correctiveness.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 07-09-2008, 10:38 AM   #4
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Well hell, since its common sense someone should petition the government to strip Bradley of all his medals! Dig him up and send his body out of this country pronto!

Can't have a WAR HERO with a name like that!

Omar is the first name of the leader of the TALIBAN!

I hated this kid named Jim in high school, should I by default hate you? Thats common sense right there! Woo!

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 07-09-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I guess not you're not understanding my point. People's perceptions are crafted by the times we live in.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:49 AM   #6
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Hussein may be a fine name, but the reality of the times is that we (right or wrong) just overthrew a dictator with the same last name. And radical muslims (not all muslims) have declared war on this nation, thus any Presidential candiate with ANY ties should receive some scrutiny over his upbrining or religiious background. To me its not racism or bigotry, its common sense.
I had to quote this just to ensure Jimmy didn't delete what it perhaps the most absurd thing ever posted on this board.

Two men share a very common name and now that's a TIE between Obama and Terrorisim.

-spence
Old 07-09-2008, 10:51 AM   #7
likwid
lobster = striper bait

People with COMMON SENSE and INTELLIGENCE would figure out a name is just that, a name and not rely on "perception".

People's "perception" showed alot of brilliance post 9/11 with smashing 7-11's and things like that mostly owned by hindus. But hey, given "perception" they all look the same. Great logic huh?

But in all reality, you're confusing perception and mob mentality.

If you're not willing to learn and research and see other things, you're doomed to being just another sheep and only believing what others say good or bad.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 07-09-2008, 10:52 AM   #8
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

are you kidding me? I said some SCRUTINY! Thats all!
For christskaes Romney had to give a speech becasue he was a frekin MORMON.
BUT NOOOO dont touch the black guy! Dont even ask any questions! Youd be a RACIST!
PLease for once, just once respond to a question. Tell me that Okinawa Ojima Bradley or Adolph von Bradley would not justify SCRUTINY leading an army in the time of war.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:55 AM   #9
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Tell me that Okinawa Ojima Bradley or Adolph von Bradley would not justify SCRUTINY leading an army in the time of war.

A little more than 65 years ago, 2,600 young Japanese-American soldiers stood in formation in new khakis bedecked with orange leis and gas masks hanging from their shoulders in front of Iolani Palace just before they left for the battlefields of Europe.

They had all volunteered to join the Army's segregated unit, the 442nd Regimental Combat Team, which eventually would become one of its most decorated, winning 21 Medals of Honor, 53 Distinguished Service Crosses. 580 Silver Star, 4,000 Bronze Stars and 12 French Croix de Guerres. Twenty of the Medal of Honors were awarded only eight years ago after the Army was forced to review the wartime records of the unit.

Hmmmm.
Once again. Fail.
They put aside that the government was segregating them into internment camps and FOUGHT despite opinions like yours.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 07-09-2008, 11:00 AM   #10
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

understood. but guess what likwid .......I bet their backgrounds were checked in much more detail that Bill Smiths from Wisconsin where when he enlsited! Want to bet?
Scrutiny.....thats all.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:02 AM   #11
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
understood. but guess what likwid .......I bet their backgrounds were checked in much more detail that Bill Smiths from Wisconsin where when he enlsited! Want to bet?
Scrutiny.....thats all.
Racism.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 07-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #12
spence

Quote:
are you kidding me? I said some SCRUTINY! Thats all!
For christskaes Romney had to give a speech becasue he was a frekin MORMON.
BUT NOOOO dont touch the black guy! Dont even ask any questions! Youd be a RACIST!
PLease for once, just once respond to a question. Tell me that Okinawa Ojima Bradley or Adolph von Bradley would not justify SCRUTINY leading an army in the time of war.
You're defending bigotry here, that's what's absurd.

Romney didn't have to give a speech to make me feel better about his religion, it was the evangelical Right he was talking to. They are the ones with the problem, not him.

-spence
Old 07-09-2008, 11:10 AM   #13
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
Racism.
common sense

defending bigotry spence - bigot - one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

I am not defending hatred or intolerance. i am defendind that people's upbringing and culture may impact their allegiances and decision making. It should be looked at by those who these people will represent. If you think thats bigotry - every college and private school in the country does this as routine admission policy. Shouldnt we in choosing a person for the most poweful leader in the world?

Old 07-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #14
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
i am defendind that people's upbringing and culture may impact their allegiances and decision making. It should be looked at by those who these people will represent. If you think thats bigotry - every college and private school in the country does this as routine admission policy. Shouldnt we in choosing a person for the most poweful leader in the world?
Plenty of black people are direct descendants of slaves.
Should they hate white people? (I'm sure the vast majority don't)

I have friends who's grandparents/parents were in the Krakow ghettos during WW2, they don't hate Germans.

There's an Iranian girl in LA who married someone half jewish. Is something wrong there?

I gave a Malaysian muslim booger wood, habs, and tattoo plugs to use on GTs and Dogtooth.
You got a problem with that?

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 07-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #15
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

and all those things equate the selection for president of the united states?
Will any of those people possibly have to make decsions to kill hundreds of thousands?

Come on Likwid, your stretching here.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:25 AM   #16
spence

Quote:
i am defendind that people's upbringing and culture may impact their allegiances and decision making.
In so doing you're stating directly that anyone raised as a Muslim or even has an Islamic sounding name is just a little bit guilty until they prove their innocence.

This is exactly what bigotry is all about.

-spence
Old 07-09-2008, 11:27 AM   #17
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
and all those things equate the selection for president of the united states?
Will any of those people possibly have to make decsions to kill hundreds of thousands?

Come on Likwid, your stretching here.
Some of those people work on technology to kill millions.
For this country.

Some of those people work for companies that supply parts that go into damn near everything electronic you use every day.

Some of those people are more thankful for the diversity and general tolerance of this country than you.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 07-09-2008, 12:05 PM   #18
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
Some of those people are more thankful for the diversity and general tolerance of this country than you.
I doubt it since I am of Arabic decent (my Mom's maiden name was Aragi), my wife is Chinese - who grew up in India, my sister in-law is Japanese..I can go on.
I love when you and your other libs stoop to personal attacks. I MOVED to San Francisco to be around more open minded people. I've been to gay weddings, lesbian weddings. I've actually been to a GAY Hindu wedding where everyone was dressed in drag! Nice try, trying to pidgeon hole me. Aint gonna work

This diversity and tolerance is what I want to protect. It is this diversity and tolerance that is under attack. Read my posts, I am not saying anything negative @ Obama. But I do believe his name or or upbringing are subject to public scrutiny given the current world climate as is McCains. We need to KNOW who we are electing. We need to know who they will represent when and if it all comes down,,,,

Old 07-09-2008, 12:15 PM   #19
spence

Quote:
I doubt it since I am of Arabic decent (my Mom's maiden name was Aragi), my wife is Chinese - who grew up in India, my sister in-law is Japanese..I can go on
Considering your upbringing I think you owe us all a detailed explination so we're comfortable you're not a terrorist.

Aragi doesn't exactly pass the sniff test, if you know what I mean.

Also, why have I never been invited on that fancy boat you have? I'm a lot of fun on a boat.

-spence
Old 07-09-2008, 12:19 PM   #20
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I wouldnt be comfortable sitting next to half of my uncles on a plane. We actually joke about that at family gatherings.
The German, Polish, French, Canadian, in me kind of wash it all out......

Old 07-09-2008, 12:23 PM   #21
zacs
D'oh

if Spence is going on the F/V RIJIMMY, please let me know. I will come out of my temporary retirement to be the camera boat!!! May have to bring extra throwables.....

i bent my wookie
Old 07-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #22
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

I can vouch that Spence made a trip on the F/V Iemma last week. I came just inc ase Spence fell overboard, or Paul threatened to kill him.

Might even invite spence fluke fishing in the big boat this weekend...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 07-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #23
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacs View Post
if Spence is going on the F/V RIJIMMY, please let me know. I will come out of my temporary retirement to be the camera boat!!! May have to bring extra throwables.....
no need, Spence is so full of hot air, he'd float.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:27 PM   #24
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

oh, BTW, can you guys fill me in on what the F/V stands for so I can feel like I know whats going on?

Old 07-09-2008, 12:30 PM   #25
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
This diversity and tolerance is what I want to protect. It is this diversity and tolerance that is under attack. Read my posts, I am not saying anything negative @ Obama. But I do believe his name or or upbringing are subject to public scrutiny given the current world climate as is McCains. We need to KNOW who we are electing. We need to know who they will represent when and if it all comes down,,,,
You want it that way?

Lets get McCain's POW and military records declassified then.
Lets see what really happened to him.

You want full disclosure over a name.
I want full disclosure period.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 07-09-2008, 12:36 PM   #26
zacs
D'oh

Quote:
oh, BTW, can you guys fill me in on what the F/V stands for so I can feel like I know whats going on?
fishing vessel

i bent my wookie
Old 07-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #27
EarnedStripes44

Old 07-09-2008, 01:19 PM   #28
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacs View Post
I want a picture of spence and Jim standing underneath jim's 'T-Bag' housing....
Old 07-09-2008, 01:40 PM   #29
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
I've actually been to a GAY Hindu wedding where everyone was dressed in drag!

I can't believe nobody else picked up on this.....Does that mean you wore a dress

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 07-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #30
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I can't believe nobody else picked up on this.....Does that mean you wore a dress
It sure explains the bold emphasis now doesn't it

-spence