Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 03-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
rayndogg

Goo Goos gagga?

Hello guys i have a question about GooGoos how do they properly swim i never owned one or swam one. except for the awsome mini Goo that Ted The Greek made me, and that one swims great about a foot down w/ a tight wobble. See that my be right i dont know, cause its the only one i swam. the reason i ask is i turned some bodies that i like the shape of and want to use them to make a GooGoo. i could make them to the way i like the swim. so my big ??? is what makes GooGoo Gagga?

thanks, Rene
rayndogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
Rockfish9

Goo-goos swim sub surface( about 3' without wire) and level.. they have a methodic fairly slow swimming action, with very little roll.. this is what makes them such a good trolling lure..I do not weight them..IMHO this will ruin their appeal.. I know some people chin weight them, but this changes the dynamic of the plug, and IMHO, not for the better.. or at least for what i use it for ( wire line trollining a screaming rip).. I make and fish more goo-goo's than any other plug, I've tried weights in many places, none made it better( the exception is the 6" version I make, which uses the same lip as the 8" , I tail weight this one to keep it slow swimming on the troll)... I use WRC and through wire and hang a of 4/0 hook on the front belly hanger and a 3/0 on the rear belly hanger( 1/0 Krok or spro swivel) and a single 7/0 bucktail treated siwash on the tail... I dont feel the WRC is too boyant as i cover them with epoxy, thus changing the original dynamic of the wood...I have made some out of pine and maple.. the WRC was hands down the better swimming ( and catching) plug... the originals I fished with were pine and poorly ( or not) sealed.. the originals used screw eyes.. after a night of hard fishing, the screw eyes loostend in the soggly plug... These are my observations, and are far from gospel on this wonderfull plug.. I'm sure others will have something to add as well..

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
rayndogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post
Goo-goos swim sub surface( about 3' without wire) and level.. they have a methodic fairly slow swimming action, with very little roll.. this is what makes them such a good trolling lure..I do not weight them..IMHO this will ruin their appeal.. I know some people chin weight them, but this changes the dynamic of the plug, and IMHO, not for the better.. or at least for what i use it for ( wire line trollining a screaming rip).. I make and fish more goo-goo's than any other plug, I've tried weights in many places, none made it better( the exception is the 6" version I make, which uses the same lip as the 8" , I tail weight this one to keep it slow swimming on the troll)... I use WRC and through wire and hang a of 4/0 hook on the front belly hanger and a 3/0 on the rear belly hanger( 1/0 Krok or spro swivel) and a single 7/0 bucktail treated siwash on the tail... I dont feel the WRC is too boyant as i cover them with epoxy, thus changing the original dynamic of the wood...I have made some out of pine and maple.. the WRC was hands down the better swimming ( and catching) plug... the originals I fished with were pine and poorly ( or not) sealed.. the originals used screw eyes.. after a night of hard fishing, the screw eyes loostend in the soggly plug... These are my observations, and are far from gospel on this wonderfull plug.. I'm sure others will have something to add as well..
thank for your input. i am useing WRC & through wire as well the body isn't a standard looking GooGoo style its this shape i had found on a peice of metal tha i put on the dupe and went with i like the look , but i just wanted to know as im texting what i should be looking for. oh yea there range is 6.75". well ill start there thanks

rene
rayndogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
Sgt Striper

The Professor's Way!!

This is how I do mine, thanks to Paul for the work he put into them as they swim great and catch even better
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...tml#post814147

"The lips stand out because she wants to suck on your Pikie."....Mike Laptew
Van Staal Service/Repair Technician
Sgt Striper is offline   Reply With Quote