Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 02-29-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
saltfly

ever have vertigo?

I got benign vertigo.Man,it feels like my brain is slopping around in side my head.The doc says it could take a couple of weeks for it to clear up.Driving is an adventure to say the least.No Mass Bass for me.The drive from the lower cape no way-jose'.
saltfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:52 AM   #2
Backbeach Jake

a few years back, I woke up and felt drunk. Room was spinning, went downstairs and threw up. The room kept spinning for 2 weeks, the doc perscriped antihistamines, which helped a lot.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #3
saltfly

the doctor gave me a script of Meclizine.3 a day,It has helped but as the day goes on I get a headache to add to the fun this wacks it!!
Old 03-01-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Vertigo

Didn't the doctor tell you not to drive?

I had an aunt years ago, who would wobble around, she was a nurse, said it was her vertigo, its funny how the Jack Daniels was disappearing from the bottle at the same time.

In all seriousness I am sure it is not pleasant. My mother-in-law gets it at least once a year. It results from injuries she received years ago when she was hit as a pedestrian. Screws her up for a week or two.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:46 PM   #5
missing link

Go get the treatment at PT It worked for me I had benign vertigo it's hard to describe but the therepy works
also a drop of hydrogen peroxide in ear may help.
But I would seek professional help, one treatment helped I haven't had a episode since
LINK SR
ps: I can's spell

" Happy as a clam at high tide "
missing link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:09 AM   #6
Raven

inner ear infection maybe ....because thats where your balance
"gyroscope mechanism" ( for lack of a better description) is
that controls your equilibrium....

if you have a nasty sinus infection sometimes antibiotics ends that overnight
... how's your hearing in each ear now as compared to normal?
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:12 AM   #7
saltfly

link,do you mean physical therapy?I spoke with Frannie at the goose yestrday and he went to a bone cracker years ago and it worked for him.Raven,no nasal stuff at all.It's better this morning than it's been since wed.It comes and goes now.The dizzies come more from head down foreward and back Before it was all around.Using percentages it's about 70% better.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
eelman

Yes today, right now after taking a couple percosets...I am seeing everything twice
eelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:36 AM   #9
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

Yes I have had it and it really sucks. I was prescribed a medicine called "Antivert" which seems to help greatly. The first time I got it was the morning of my daughters Kindergarten graduation and I literally couldn't lift my head without puking. Felt like my head weighed more than any part of my body. It's a truly sucky feeling.
Dad 818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:39 AM   #10
eelman

My mother sufferes from that and also takes antivert..Sometimes it gets so bad she has to lie down .
eelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:28 PM   #11
missing link

saltfly ,yes physical therapy for the same thing it worked for me .
they put through a series of balance and coordination test and position your head in different positions its kind of freaky feeling doing all the stuff but it worked for me
Link

" Happy as a clam at high tide "
missing link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:49 PM   #12
Flaptail

Wink

Bob, go smoke a joint. Don't ask just do it.

Old home remedy, got a friend, he suffers from it as well, it's what "cures" it for him.

( Got to be somebody you know down that way that tokes the ganja)

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:58 PM   #13
fishaholic18
Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaptail View Post
Bob, go smoke a joint. Don't ask just do it.

Old home remedy, got a friend, he suffers from it as well, it's what "cures" it for him.

( Got to be somebody you know down that way that tokes the ganja)
Now thats great advice...Tell your kids that one...

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:07 PM   #14
saltfly

Thanks Link! Hey Flaptail,that actually x'd my mindI do have access to an HERBAL remedy but it gave me a headache after about half hour and I've already got one of them.This afternoon it has actully deminished quite a bit.I took the dogs for a walk in the wellfield for about an hour and only had one "spin-o-rama".I tied up a couple dozen shrimp flies and it wasn't as bad as yesterday.I don't wish this on anyone.Driving is the real problem so I'm walking.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:34 PM   #15
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Can feel like your in an earthquake at times.
Mine was due to inner ear infection.

Doc told me to avoid stress.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:37 AM   #16
OffTheHook13
Where Am I?

Large quantities of alchohol will help
OffTheHook13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:19 AM   #17
FishermanTim

I've had two episodes of vertigo over the past 20 years. It's the kind of thing you don't forget. The first time I woke up, got out of bed and proceeded to fall on the floor. The dizziness would occur when lying down or getting up, and once and a while if I tilted my head back.
Took Meclizine for that bout.
The second wasn't as bad, but it lasted for months, and stopped as quickly as it appeared. There was an description on an online "web MD" site that gives a good description and diagnosis/prognosis for Benign Vertigo. Good luck.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:16 PM   #18
saltfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
I've had two episodes of vertigo over the past 20 years. It's the kind of thing you don't forget. The first time I woke up, got out of bed and proceeded to fall on the floor. The dizziness would occur when lying down or getting up, and once and a while if I tilted my head back.
Took Meclizine for that bout.
The second wasn't as bad, but it lasted for months, and stopped as quickly as it appeared. There was an description on an online "web MD" site that gives a good description and diagnosis/prognosis for Benign Vertigo. Good luck.
That's what I'm taking.I'm now to the point of having the feeling of when you go out on a boat the first day of the season.As the day goes on I get a headache that lasts all day.Driving around a few miles now and it's ok but no long drives or rides.Walked to the wreck that washed up on Newcomb Hollow Beach in Wellfleet last month and appx. a mile further and back.Had to take a tylynol [never take the stuff] when I got home.I hate f*****g headaches.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #19
Saltheart

I just had it a few months ago. Was just a little sensation , then got bad with the car sickness like feeling then on to totally blowing chow. i went to the doctor , got 2 meds (including Meclizine) and even had to go to a Physical therapist for exercises that involved shaking my head , turning to the right and laying down to the left , etc , etc. A couple weeks later I started losing sleep. waking up first at 6:30 then 6 then 5:30 then 5. i read what could cause the sleep lose and it turned out my cholesteral medicine , which had just been changed caused sleep lose. Well I went back to old medicine and my vertigo went away immediately and totally. Anyway , if you take symvastatin and zetia , that could be causing your vertigo.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:56 AM   #20
saltfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
I just had it a few months ago. Was just a little sensation , then got bad with the car sickness like feeling then on to totally blowing chow. i went to the doctor , got 2 meds (including Meclizine) and even had to go to a Physical therapist for exercises that involved shaking my head , turning to the right and laying down to the left , etc , etc. A couple weeks later I started losing sleep. waking up first at 6:30 then 6 then 5:30 then 5. i read what could cause the sleep lose and it turned out my cholesteral medicine , which had just been changed caused sleep lose. Well I went back to old medicine and my vertigo went away immediately and totally. Anyway , if you take symvastatin and zetia , that could be causing your vertigo.
I'm doing fine now.Went to Bass Pro last weekend and no issues at all on the ride either way.Inside BP though,the headache came back mostly due to sensory overload.I'm going to run the jon-boat today in Big Cliff.That will be the real test.