Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating > Articles
Register FAQ Members List Arcade Calendar Today's Posts

Articles Striped-Bass.com Articles

Sponsored Links:

Old 02-26-2008, 02:02 PM   #1
eelman

Surf Fishings Darkside...

> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited by eelman; 03-05-2008 at 06:32 PM.
eelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
eelman

>>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited by eelman; 03-05-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:49 PM   #3
jim sylvester
<><><><><><><>

great thread bill
jim sylvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
Moses

Everything in life is about balance. All of us go to extremes at times based on the passions we follow, some more extreme than others. Just remember to always take a step back and review what's really important in life and figure out a way to balance.

It's more a consistency thing with me. If I start ' ignoring' my family/work due to fishing, I have close friends/family that will gently remind me. A check and balance if you will.....
Old 02-26-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
eelman

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited by eelman; 03-05-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
Moses

Bill - I should have added that you're lucky, you've now realized while other folks continue down the path. As I said, some folks are more intense/extreme/passionate and it may take a little longer to "see the light". Count you blessings that you did.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:22 PM   #7
BillM

This is a good subject that you bring up Bill, because we all love to fish to our heart's content. I always feel like the luckiest guy in the world when I can, but it does take some discipline to remind us to keep things in perpective.
It's very true about driving home when your too tired.You can be so safety concious out out the rocks but then stay out too late and find that you are way too tired for the ride home. It's happened to me, and it must happen to a lot of other people.Never again though. I would much rather sleep in the truck and wake up to a sunrise over the ocean, than to needlessly endanger myself and anyone else on the road at 3:30 am.
So far I haven't had anyone complain about me going off all night, they kind of think it's cool that I have a passion for something.I laugh and tell them that with all the gas and tackle I bought, my first keeper cost me $200.
BillM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:40 AM   #8
OLD GOAT
OLDGOAT7205963

Thank you Eel man
OLD GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:13 AM   #9
Raven

welcome to the LIGHT

actually we don't need all of 7 to eight hours of Sleep each night

what we need is an absolute four hours of ReM sleep because that's when our chemical factory in our brain and body does it's miraculous work of doing the repair and manufacturing of certain compounds necessary for good health...

the thing is... it normally takes several hours to get into rem sleep mode... (to finally relax) so thats why you need more than 4 hours...
sleep deprivation can be completely avoided if you plan it right..
even power napping helps tremendously ....learning to fall sleep in less than five minutes for a 20 minute Nap..... is a great skill

eating late then trying to sleep is all wrong because digestion is a huge exercise for your internal organs to process all that food.. and it totally interferes with sleep

and if it's JUNK food you just ate....that makes it all the worse because after all ...fast food is 50% fat right off the bat... and it's bad (BEEF) fat for you.. COMPARED TO certain fish oils are full of the good type of cholesterol... THATS GOOD FOR YOU

the natural HIGH one experiences at the Ocean is a result of both the fresh air....the scenery and the negative ions created by waves hitting the beach... (lets not forget chicks in bikinis) as well as the promise of catching a fish...

this Natural high can be harvested also from our FOOD as in
what is almost a totally lost ART within our culture as human Beings

and that is raising food for its ENERGY value rather than its vitamin or caloric value... Most of the food we are able to buy now
is categorically DEAD ... yes the food was ALIVE once.

THIS IS A RESULT OF BIGGER AND BETTER PROFITS AND THE SCIENCE OF FERTILIZATION WITH CHEMICALS INSTEAD OF THE LIFE FORCE GENERATING ORGANIC METHODS

during the warmer months you can visit health food stores and or local produce markets and buy LIVE food that still retains some of its life force energies that we can assimilate into our bodies.

we are walking electrochemical glowing beings... both from emitting heat and life force... (just because it's not outwardly visible doesn't mean it's not there OR DOESN'T EXIST) so when you eat junk FOODS your energy level dwindles...and i'm not talking about the physical energy to walk down the beach... ok...

you can't eat just because you like the taste of that particular food.

thats a bad thing to do yet it is how we are /WERE raised by are well meaning parents unfortunately... because they didn't know ANY better.

that being said.. we can bring along healthier food to eat if we give ourselves proper preparation time to do that....but it takes
allot of self discipline to accomplish it... and many people opt
for the easy way out ... because they are too worried about making
a tide.... or they consider it less important than their health compared to the enjoyment they derive from the total fishing experience.

the other thing i'd like to say in reference to your post...

is that your mental health is directly proportionate to your ability to shed useless baggage of past events that perhaps you made an incorrect decision about... if you can find a way to accomplish this one thing and basically wipe the slate clean and say: this is the new me... and live for living healthy... while you do anything else...then your body will thank you and your sleep will improve bigtime...

life is an ENERGY spiral ...is all i can tell you...
and you are either loosing your energy constantly until your spinning top of a body becomes all wobbly and starts to tip over....or you can maintain that revolution with proper diet.

if you know how to absorb energy from your environment
from sunshine...from negative ions
(they give you a rushing sense of well being) where as positive ions give you a lethargic (lead shoes) can't get off the couch bad attitude)
and from fresh air and enjoyable exercise
you can be spinning so strong that you actually will invigorate other people and they will suddenly feel good from just being around you.

Bill your admission of re evaluating what's important in life (in retrospect after your mid-life health crisis) is a great step towards living your life to the fullest.... and the healthier you can get gives you more opportunity (time) to fish down the road than someone who just lets all cares and concerns fly away with the wind...

- because fishing that day was way more important to them
and thats a very good thing.

Last edited by Raven; 02-28-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:19 PM   #10
Vogt

#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, this was a great reality check. I'm a young guy in this game. A couple of seasons ago when I started to really get into the hardcore surf fishing , I was starting to neglect other aspects of my life. All of this in an atempt to not miss the tide or whatever was pulling me to the beach. I was turning down opportunities to hang out with friends from school, to go to social events , etc. and I was really starting to miss out. So this past season I too decided to take a long hard look at what I was doing. I made more careful decisions about where and when I was fishing. I fished less than I had in seasons past , but still quite alot, and I still fished exclusivly at night. But these trips missed had no negative effects on my catches, in fact I had my best season so far. The important thing was, that I got to spend more time with my non-fishing friends,and I got re-connect myself with what I had been missing.

Great thread #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&. Totally agree with you on this.
Vogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:37 AM   #11
thortum

Excellent post Bill!! I couldn't agree with you more. Thanks for taking the time to write it. I wish you and your family the best of everything.
thortum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #12
Goose

Very good article. Not everyone is going to relate to this kind of obsession, not everyone can look in the mirror and be honest with themselves.

There are certain subjects/threads that everyone relates too one being acholholism. If you drank for a good buzz 5,6,7 times week, your mornings where long but by about 3pm you start adding up the number of beers left over and how many more you need. The obsessed fisherman starts making calls to see who has fresh bait calling this guy and that guy to see where the bass are, tides ect.
Both the fisherman and the drunk look normal, act normal, are good guys but what we don't see is that they are not only hurting themselves they are neglecting their kids, their wife's, their family's and friends ...all the things that should come first came last.

You wanna idolise money...well there's a price for that too. Unlike years ago people knew how to have order, it wasn't always perfect but after all it'll never be perfect. My point is no matter what hobby or what obsession don't make yourself your own King.... Serve and Teach others humbly its much more fulfilling then trying to impress others with fish numbers.

I think Bill was thoughtful enough to share his personal experiences with a bunch of strangers, he'll get his in return for doing so. Bill, the same results happen whether your on a rock or in a boat, you have to people first.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #13
DJ Muller

Just saw this...where did it go and why???
DJ Muller is offline   Reply With Quote