Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 03-16-2020, 05:54 AM   #121
Rmarsh

"In The USA 34,000 people died of the flu last year. The year before there was 61,000 deaths from the flu in the states"........

"Overall, the CDC estimates that 12,000 and 61,000 deaths annually since 2010 can be blamed on the flu. Globally, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that the flu kills 290,000 to 650,000 people per year."

Why weren't we as concerned then as we are now?
If these figures are correct... we might be overreacting. I realize the death toll from this virus is still rising.
Maybe it was reported, but I don't remember hearing anything about it at the time...... I think something strange is happening within our news and social media?
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:16 AM   #122
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Government closing all public schools, forcing all restaurants and bars to do take out only and ban any public gathering over 25 people in Mass is going to kill so many hourly and service workers. I’m not happy with what the market crash has taken out of my retirement account, but I can’t imagine the financial impact to a younger family.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:40 AM   #123
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
"In The USA 34,000 people died of the flu last year. The year before there was 61,000 deaths from the flu in the states"........

"Overall, the CDC estimates that 12,000 and 61,000 deaths annually since 2010 can be blamed on the flu. Globally, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that the flu kills 290,000 to 650,000 people per year."

Why weren't we as concerned then as we are now?
If these figures are correct... we might be overreacting. I realize the death toll from this virus is still rising.
Maybe it was reported, but I don't remember hearing anything about it at the time...... I think something strange is happening within our news and social media?
If you have watched enough news to see what happened to Italy then you might stop comparing this to the flu. Just saying. Their obituary pages just increased tenfold last week.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:43 AM   #124
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Bart.. I think you should review how many posts I have made in the political forum in the last 6 months before you use me as an example.
He will be gone faster than he showed back up. Last time he posted,he deleted the post and disappeared into thin air til yesterday. I guess this is the fray🙀

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:49 AM   #125
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Dr. Oz was just interviewed by channel 25, where he stated that if these extreme measures mass and others are taking aren’t adopted, the modeling showed half the US infected and deaths over one million. That isn’t comforting with how this administration started so slowly to understand how radical preventive measures needed to be.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:58 AM   #126
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

I'm no rocketship, but how can comparisons of an annual death rate caused by influenza be compared to a virus that IMO is still in it's infancy stage of roughly 3 months?
I don't believe we have enough analytical data to support anything at this point (in regards to comparisons). Maybe the gov. is trying to keep the crazies at bay with some of their reports, so maybe that's why they're using that as a comparison?
We don't even know the long term affect that this may cause because again, we don't have the data to support that yet. Could a person who did get infected and survived, now have a compromised immune system or respiratory system? I've read that it's in ways similar to the SARS/MERS CoV...having possibly originated in bats, but if it's continuing to evolve, what type of long term affect could it have on a survivor?

I'm not the paranoid type, nor a conspiratorian (yep, my own word)... but with a young child and elderly parents, thinking I'm going to side with caution and limit our attendance to group events etc/.
May get a few extra packages of chicken and turkey to store in the freezer, but the toilet paper is not needed. I chit ice cream, so my turds get recycled....

Be safe, ...but if you happen to contract this virus, please limit your posts to the political forum, that seems to be the only forum that needs thinning (I heard the virus has evolved into a "hacking" virus...so it can be transmitted via the www),..

**As a sidenote, the few times that I have entered the forum, (who's name should never be spoken)... I always thought y'all debated in jest, but as it's leaked out on to the main page, youze guys are seriously making enemies?? That part I don't get.

Peace brethren ...it's legal now, go get yourself some and chill-axe... life's 2 short.

...it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:00 AM   #127
Clammer

Thumbs down

a few of you guys have turned what was suppose to be a tread

on the virus , to a he,s a , its A .pissing war …...SAD

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:53 AM   #128
BEETLE

Agreed... i frequent sol more now. I guess his rules aren't so bad afterall
BEETLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:06 AM   #129
BEETLE

Watch the 2 hour documentary called Unseen Enemy produced in 2017. Viruses, 1917 to present how they start and how they spread.
BEETLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:13 AM   #130
basswipe

All bars and restaraunts done in RI.Takeout and delivery won't keep them afloat and the unemployment/TDI system will more than likely collapse under all this.

I wonder how many thousands of small businesses across this country will simply be gone after all this is over.

Mark my words the aftermath will be far far worse than any disease.Can't wait for the first reports of looting,the crime rate will go through the roof.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:39 AM   #131
PaulS

The Pres. and Governors have a tough decision to make where someone is always going to complain. Close things down to try to contain the virus and people will loose jobs or leave them open and the virus spreads more.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:37 AM   #132
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
All bars and restaraunts done in RI.Takeout and delivery won't keep them afloat and the unemployment/TDI system will more than likely collapse under all this.

I wonder how many thousands of small businesses across this country will simply be gone after all this is over.

Mark my words the aftermath will be far far worse than any disease.Can't wait for the first reports of looting,the crime rate will go through the roof.

Let's not lose sight of what's most important here... human life.
If it hits you on a personal level and you lose a dear loved one, you won't give a rats A$s about the economy/etc... people will complain that not enough restrictions were put in place. It's easy to generalize until it enters your "circle of trust" members....

God help us all - and as they say on the cruise-ships, "washy-washy"!!!

...it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 01:24 PM   #133
Clammer

Gilly & Joe , I hear you both ,but either way / effected or not physically by this for you family .which I pray happens to no one , which isn,t going to happen .
The ripple effect on businesses will be far reaching on so many different levels ,
from employees , to owners , to bill payments , &&&&& so much moves …. I saw a interview with a couple getting married in a month / they were concerned about the seniors that are scheduled to go …..now add by then , the place, the food, travel, honeymoon & more .
sadly in many instances . tough luck if you miss a commercial mortgage payment ……...do you really think the lender is going to let your payment , pently & interest slide .
even things ya don,t think of …...last night I found out that our shellfish dealers are open on a day to day ……… all fisheries must be the same .
I,m not here thinking of whose going to be working and not …………………… but except jobs that are completely essential .. like police, fire, recsue, military , medical , electric & the like the longer this lasts the deeper this is going to go .
and to think just Saturday night , one of the guys that were with us for summer was on a roll that the only live sports he could find on TV . was real kick ass boxing ><>
as long as the booze stores stay open . most of us won,t see riots ……….. if they close .watch .or watch anywhere that is sparsly occupied & not enough people/workers to stop it ><>,
I was telling Gale that a scenero that would piss off the trout fisherman …………………….. they don,t want crowds ,,,,so someone informs the governor about the crowds on opening >>>>>>>>>>> we'll fix that // no stocking at all & no opening day ////// keep it closed ><> I was in Richmond / Carolina yesterday . before I got to the beaches ……..every waterway I checked was trout posted ...that,s a extreme , but people get crazy ><>< lets just hope & pray or whatever you believe in ><.

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 03-16-2020, 02:42 PM   #134
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Here's good one. I have a friend in NC. He said the hills are on fire with stills. Seems the State has restricted how much booze you can buy so the moonshiners are ramping up production.

God, I love this Country of ours.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:49 PM   #135
basswipe

To Paul and bloo I am literally watching this live and in living color.These folks are losing everything on an announcement,we're literally taking everything we can from friends establishment before it goes bad.Its absolutely insane watching a good friend lose a business on a single announcement.All I can tell you is enjoy your not so clear view of what's happening because you're going to be paying for it much sooner than later.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:41 PM   #136
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
To Paul and bloo I am literally watching this live and in living color.These folks are losing everything on an announcement,we're literally taking everything we can from friends establishment before it goes bad.Its absolutely insane watching a good friend lose a business on a single announcement.All I can tell you is enjoy your not so clear view of what's happening because you're going to be paying for it much sooner than later.
...and what would you have me do???? I don't have any control over anything and it doesn't do any good to wring my hands and say the sky is falling. I'm just staying in my world and controlling it.

Last edited by piemma; 03-16-2020 at 04:47 PM..

Old 03-16-2020, 04:45 PM   #137
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
Here's good one. I have a friend in NC. He said the hills are on fire with stills. Seems the State has restricted how much booze you can buy so the moonshiners are ramping up production.

God, I love this Country of ours.
WV didn't have any cases as of this morning. Maybe the moonshine kills the virus.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:47 PM   #138
basswipe

Quote:
...and what would you have me do????
Live would be good.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:48 PM   #139
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Stocked up on high alcohol content IPA’s and lots of vacuumed sealed tog still in the freezer and thankfully we had bought TP in bulk before the outbreak.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:49 PM   #140
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Live would be good.
I fully intend to. They haven't gotten me yet. Don't worry about what you can't control. Just stay in control of what you can.

Old 03-16-2020, 04:58 PM   #141
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
I fully intend to. They haven't gotten me yet. Don't worry about what you can't control. Just stay in control of what you can.
Great time to self isolate of the golf course Paul, very few on mine today, was a bit cool but good to get away from any news and BS.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:55 PM   #142
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Great time to self isolate of the golf course Paul, very few on mine today, was a bit cool but good to get away from any news and BS.
Friday Bob.

Old 03-16-2020, 06:02 PM   #143
basswipe

Quote:
That's my plan too my friend.Piece to you and yours.Tight lines...I'm done here.

JohnR thankyou for a great site but its time has come and gone.

I'm tired...goodnight all.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:34 PM   #144
Clammer

&&&&&&&&&&&I,ve riding around checking out freshwater places /finding some I never knew existed

shellfish dealers are closed ><><

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 03-17-2020, 03:13 AM   #145
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
That's my plan too my friend.Piece to you and yours.Tight lines...I'm done here.

JohnR thankyou for a great site but its time has come and gone.

I'm tired...goodnight all.
Don't do that. The site is what you make of it. I stay out of the political forum and converse here. This site is still viable.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:29 AM   #146
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
If you have watched enough news to see what happened to Italy then you might stop comparing this to the flu. Just saying. Their obituary pages just increased tenfold last week.

I'm not saying people wont die...all lives matter .... I have a 93 year old mom and 100 year old MIL both in nursing homes and at a much greater risk than young people in good health.....but as of today under 100 deaths in the US.

So I'm optimistic about our chances of stopping the spread and developing a vaccine in the near future. I try to not let fear run my life. I'm all for taking precautions.... panicking will not help one make better decisions.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:55 AM   #147
scottw

Quote:
....but as of today under 100 deaths in the US.
and a large number of those in one state and in one facility....there is no other place in the world I'd rather be in terms of medical treatment
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:56 AM   #148
scottw

Quote:
Don't do that. The site is what you make of it.
right?...he should go start an interesting fishing thread
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:43 AM   #149
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm not saying people wont die...all lives matter .... I have a 93 year old mom and 100 year old MIL both in nursing homes and at a much greater risk than young people in good health.....but as of today under 100 deaths in the US.

So I'm optimistic about our chances of stopping the spread and developing a vaccine in the near future. I try to not let fear run my life. I'm all for taking precautions.... panicking will not help one make better decisions.
This^

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:38 AM   #150
spence

Quote:
.....but as of today under 100 deaths in the US.
Just two weeks ago Italy was at 34 deaths...
spence is offline   Reply With Quote