Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 03-31-2020, 07:53 AM   #1
scottw

how are you handling home confinement

trying to get some fly casting practice in the yard....I will never be more prepared for a season...usually have tons of plans that I realize I didn't get to most of them and it's already June...wondering what fw opening day will look like in RI(usually avoid this but curious) it could be interesting....if I go to Mass to fish and come back to RI do I have to quarantine for 14 days?
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:07 AM   #2
Sea Dangles

I have a boat coming on 95N as we speak. Now I just need to have an open boatyard so I can get some bottom paint on it. Then I need my marina to open so I can go fish and get away from my family😁. Meanwhile, my gardens are waking up and the peas are germinating and the onion sets are in while I slowly start different vegetables in the basement to be ready for mid May. It’s fun to watch my boys play video games online with their friends, it seems like they don’t miss a beat as they laugh and scream and interact like it’s business as usual.
I hope Gina allows the new Onslow to travel over her highways. 🤮
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:13 AM   #3
PaulS

bored sitting at home. Taking long bike rides on weekends. built and planted a small raised bed last week to expand the garden. Reading more books. I WFH a few days ago previously but I miss the interaction of going in the office some days.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:25 AM   #4
wdmso

Dont get ideas from you tube easy to watch ... not so easy to do
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:27 AM   #5
JFigliuolo

I'm far from social to begin with... so I'm doing fine. Only thing pissing me off is people in the stores during the "#^&#^&#^&#^& hours i used to shop to avoid people in stores.

Wow " OFF " is a dirty word now??????

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:31 AM   #6
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Dont get ideas from you tube easy to watch ... not so easy to do
It helped me fix a washing machine once!

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:36 AM   #7
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Home schooling and working from home.... I do miss my interactions with colleagues and students, particularly y research students working on what would have been presented at a now canceled conference.... We have meetings via Teams, but it isn't the same...

Will think about gear soon, this has me debating spring tog from either the rocks or board.... we will see.
Otherwise,
Paddling when I can, (hopefully after work today)
Improvised Gym in the garage
Near daily hikes/walks and at least 20min of yoga a day.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:50 AM   #8
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post

debating spring tog from either the rocks or board.... we will see.
tog from the paddle board....YES!!
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:02 AM   #9
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
tog from the paddle board....YES!!
We'll see. I bucktail off it some for fluke but no bait.

Kind of a pain to bring bait, but I do have crab traps at the house.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:13 AM   #10
Pete F.
Canceled

Working from home, be interesting to see if the stuff I'm bidding gets done. One is a school project that starts at the end of school (currently closed) and has to be done by 8/15. Maybe it will be essential or back to work by then?
Other than that, playing golf, tying flies and probably fishing this afternoon for elusive Champlain trib steelies, there might be some smallmouths upriver also. They aren't usually there till taxtime, but Vermont golf courses aren't usually open March 13th either.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:34 AM   #11
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Working from home during the week, doing some projects around the house. Managed to get a new ceiling and paint in the family room. Probably going to get some peas and lettuce going in the garden this weekend

Daughter came home Sunday for a couple of weeks because she lives alone and was going nuts staying home so we’ll catch up on movies we’ve wanted to watch.

It’s all good
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 03:26 PM   #12
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I'm running out of indoor and outdoor projects to do, did some chainsaw carving today to let the neighbors know I'm alive and well. Hoping for some warmer weather to go after some freshwater fishing in the kayak.
Got Stripers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 03:34 PM   #13
Clammer

somehow I,m gonna try digging tomorrow .or I won,t have a house left this is gonna be a long hall ><>

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:52 PM   #14
Guppy
User

Same o same o, out the door in the morning, back in for a scotch end of day and watch the news....
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:03 PM   #15
Clammer

By now .DON,T watch the news .its waaaaaay past the depressing stage & our not gonna hear anything that will change what your doing ><>

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 03-31-2020, 06:41 PM   #16
fishgolf

Time to paint the garage interior, lots of golf and fishing gear to move around. Checking for new recipes. Checked inventory of Tylenol, Advil, cough syrup etc... Sanitizing everyday now. Wife gets home from the Hospital and changes in the garage and the uniform goes right into the washing machine and she goes right into the shower.

Drove to western Mass and back today 6 hour round trip. Lots of traffic, surprised by that.
fishgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:52 AM   #17
Jimbo

Pretty frustrating to live in NJ these days. People my wife and my age are supposed to think twice about going to the store, but we don't have a choice since online grocery shopping is so backed up you can't reserve a delivery date. Wife's doctor just called to tell her the apex will hit NJ within the next three weeks so stock up today and don't leave the yard for the next three weeks. I'm only allowed to walk to the mailbox as it is right now. Anything I'd call a hobby I like to do was shipped up to the Cape last year. I'm down to doing jigsaw puzzles with my wife.
On a bright note, I guess, she said hospitals in our area, should we need to go, are in pretty good shape to accommodate; north Jersey and New York City are screwed, there's just not enough beds and supplies.
It's like that movie, "The Day After Tomorrow". Fortunately the local liquor store offers reliable delivery or curbside pickup. Helps with the frustration
Stay safe folks.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:16 AM   #18
fishbones

I’m still going in to the office during the week but I’ve been getting a lot of work done inside the house and in the yard since I can’t go anywhere after work or on weekends. I’ve got more yard work done than I’ve done in the last 15 years combined. At night I’ve been catching up on tv shows and movies with the wife while my kid plays video games online with his friends. I’ve already got my fishing gear ready for the season and rigged some eels last Saturday, with more to do this weekend. Also been going on a lot of walks and hikes with the wife. All this time spent with her made me realize she’s pretty cool and definitely could have done a lot better than me.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:19 PM   #19
Jim in CT

doing a lot of cooking for the kids. omelets to order for breakfast, doing some grilling and smoking for dinner. walking the new puppy a LOT.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:53 PM   #20
spence

Not a lot of change just no business travel and scheduling grocery delivery is a lot harder.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:32 PM   #21
BMEUPSCOTTY

Waiting to be confined. Praying for the phone to ring with a nurse telling me to stay home because I was close to someone at work with it.
BMEUPSCOTTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:09 AM   #22
Jim in CT

hoping to do a few charters with my 13 year-old before the dog days of summer, hope everything is back to normal by then.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:16 AM   #23
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Doing well here. (I had a year of practice recouping from knee replacement...) Three of us here, third being 85 yo MIL. Well provisioned. Last trip out to store was 0530 this morning. Market Basket already had line of at least 25 waiting to get in, as they instituted maximum number of shoppers in stores today. And the line was not practicing proper distancing... So she went to Shaws, which cost us probably an extra $30.00.

Never had so much packed into fridge and freezer. We are good if we couldn't go again for quite a while. Two weeks from now, the only things we will likely be needing are cleaning wipes and Lysol spray. We are already out of the Lysol I am told...

I have materials at a house I take care of for snowbirds, who are still down south. All exterior trim replacement. Don't have great weather for it, and really, I am not that keen on being seen doing it, given all the idiots out walking in packs... I am a rule follower and think everyone should stay at home. Including construction.

I have gone back to my previous life in the financial world and been trading the market. Been doing better than a days pay, so that has been taking up most of my time. But opportunities are getting thin from my point of view, and I will go to the sidelines after I unwind a gold position.

There is PLENTY for me to do here without leaving the property. I did pick up a new box spring yesterday. Set up a twin bed in my office as an isolation room for me should it come to that

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:19 AM   #24
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Doing OK. Working a lot.

Dog Park - my only non essentials excursion from the house is not officially closed.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:27 AM   #25
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

My kids are at their mother's... Sucks but can't risk having them in with MIL. We exchange things, meaning they pick up or I drop off cooked meals or supplies, they need... Glad not to have young kids to manage through this... THAT has to be challenging.

I wake up and remember we are in a pandemic. And then say a prayer for those who wake up knowing they are going to work in the belly of the beast... And the fear they have for their families and themselves... My niece is waiting to get her orders, as she is a newly graduated MD. And the worst is yet to come. I can easily stay at home for them... Won't you?

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:33 AM   #26
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Nothing has changed in my world except we are not mowing at the golf course. Other than that been workin on a ton of projects at the farm Filled a 15 yd dumpster with crap from 4 garages and the basement.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:59 AM   #27
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I have gone back to my previous life in the financial world and been trading the market.
Can oil go much lower? Been thinking of buying a little Chevron or maybe USO (oil futures) with a timeline of a few years. I heard someone say there's a reasonable chance oil could actually go below zero, but it can't stay there forever...
Old 04-02-2020, 10:21 AM   #28
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Can oil go much lower? Been thinking of buying a little Chevron or maybe USO (oil futures) with a timeline of a few years. I heard someone say there's a reasonable chance oil could actually go below zero, but it can't stay there forever...
Oil is back up a bit today, but it’ll definitely be going lower. I think we’re going to see a legit market crash in the next week to 10 days. I’ve been doing well the last couple weeks shorting the market.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:21 AM   #29
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Oil is back up a bit today, but it’ll definitely be going lower. I think we’re going to see a legit market crash in the next week to 10 days. I’ve been doing well the last couple weeks shorting the market.
Sure is! I waited a day too long to ask this question. I don't know anything about that industry, but I have to think there's opportunity there. I bought USO once a few years ago when oil got down to $35 a barrel, and did very well.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:08 PM   #30
Clammer

yet the two gas stations at the corner both went up the last couple of days ?????

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE