Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 03-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
Hooper
Southsider

On The Water TV 3/8

Did anyone see today's OTW TV episode where they were fishing for bluefins east of Chatham? I wanted to see if I was off on this or not, there wasn't a single mention of being safe out there and what that means.

1.) They're running across the Sound in the dark with no radar
2.) They're fishing in active shipping lanes with 100'-400' (their estimate) visibility with no radar.
3.) No mention of an EPIRB or liferaft on board
4.) They were encouraging everyone to just "get out here and try this"

Not everyone should be 30 miles off Chatham in small boats in the fog, sorry. Clueless people inshore are bad enough.

Like the Noman's shows, there isn't a single moment devoted to being safe out there. Container ships run 20 kts and they don't give a $%^& about tuna fisherman. EPIRB's and rafts are mandated for commercial fisherman, who I gues know a lot more about being safe offshore than your average weekend warrior. I had my 23 SeaCraft for several years before venturing off Chatham for tuna and it wasn't until I bought a EPIRB and a raft, without them it seemed foolish.

Is it just me, or should OTW take a moment to explain some of the hazards and caution people to fish with someone who knows the drill for awhile before going it alone? Guess ACR EPIRB and Furuno radar need to become OTW sponsors before that happens.
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

I personaly don't wanna see that stuff on a fishin show. If I want to see that I'll watch a boating safety show.
It's like ship shape tv spending half of it's show talking about the tow vehicle for the boat . transmission coolers and tow packages and other bs about the truck. If I wanted to see that I'd watch tr#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, not ship shape tv.

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
fishaholic18
Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingfreak View Post
I personaly don't wanna see that stuff on a fishin show. If I want to see that I'll watch a boating safety show.
It's like ship shape tv spending half of it's show talking about the tow vehicle for the boat . transmission coolers and tow packages and other bs about the truck. If I wanted to see that I'd watch tr#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, not ship shape tv.

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:12 PM   #4
striperman36
Old Guy

I don't watch that show anymore too much crap about non-boating.

His boat repair and build, was awesome. I loved watching the Bertram 31 rebuild.

Bill
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #5
ecduzitgood
time to go

I think 20-30 seconds mentioning safety is no big deal even if it's a whole minute that could make the difference and save someones life/lives. The ocean is a very dangerous place especially 30 miles out, I was 110 miles out off the east coast of Florida on a 55' boat with all the safety equipment and still wouldn't let my guard down. Just be careful and don't ever take the situation too lightly because you may only have one thing go wrong and the cost might not only be your life but everyone on board. Safety first has kept me around so I can bug everyone a little more.
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:28 AM   #6
buckman

I agree with Hooper. If they are going to promote" everyone should get out and try this" then they should at the very least, mention the dangers that are involved.
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:20 AM   #7
Mr. Sandman

I agree. I think that show is an older re-run (like most OTW shows...did they even have any new shows at all in 08?)

And they cherry pick the days (and travel with a larger support boat(s) that films). I can tell you that the number of days it looks like that at nomans you can count on one hand each season. If it kicks up...well you know what the white-knuckle ride your in for. There are several sticky places on the ride back esp if you have a small boat.

Same goes for offshore tuna in a CC. I think they did a show about canyon fishing in a 23' regulator alone a couple years back. IMO that was irresponsible and should not be attempted by anyone. Chatham in a small boat? Yes it is doable..but you have to pick your days. If you have a flat day you can easily do it. In fact is seems too easy, as you race out there in no time, catch a big fish and zip home...But, if it kicks up out of the west in the afternoon as is normally does all summer, you are in for a loooong sloppy ride home to Falmouth. Nothing like beating your brains into a 25-30 afternoon (according to the weatherman)"breeze" for 45 miles... Been there done that. But when it is flat...piece of cake.

They need to mention safety...Freak... I suspect a boating safety show would not be very popular. IMO they should mandate the same rules for comm as for recs. When you get your tuna permit, you need to register your eprib, etc. This would be one way to thin out the weekend wannabes.

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 03-09-2009 at 10:31 AM..
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:14 PM   #8
Hooper
Southsider

Sandman, I fished Chatham in my SeaCraft and it was easy like you said, but jeez, fog, cargo ships, you name it, it can happen. I was just a little surprised when they made it sound like going to the pier to catch flounder when it is a lot more than just "getting out there"

Sure, there are a lot of days when ther are a hundred boats out there, so you have help nearby, but at the Sword, in the fall, on a weekday, not always that easy. We've been all alone many times.

And the canyons in a 23 Reg? Unless you are a seasoned canyon fisherman, I wouldn't think of that.
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #9
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I have been called a wimp by some locals for choosing not to go to Stellwagen on some days in my 20' Grady CC. I don't care. On marginal days, I'll go on bigger boats. It is only 15 miles to NW corner for me, so I can keep an eye on the sky over Cape Ann. What I am looking for is a build up of cumulus clouds over that land mass. Visible from the bank. As that air rises, producing the huge white puffy clouds, it pulls in the "seabreeze", usually from about 210 degrees magnetic. Sometimes more westerly. You can almost time its arrival by watching the cloud build through the late morning. The clouds are my clock as to when it is time to beat feet and get home while the getting is good.(It's too bad, because I think there is a very good late afternoon/dusk bite that 90% of us are missing.)Very similar to the 'heat pump' that turns Buzzards Bay into a rocky ride on many a beautiful summer afternoon.

Can't emphasize safety enough, inshore or offshore. Plenty of bozos out there. That show was misleading, but it did my heart good....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote