Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-18-2018, 01:01 PM   #1
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Don Potus Corleone

You dirty rat. Unbelievable what the Don thinks he can get away with, when it comes to influencing witnesses, juries and judges. Well what am I surprised at, he has shown no respect for our judicial system.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:34 PM   #2
Jim in CT

if he is Don Vito Corleone, then Hilary is Fredo.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 12-18-2018, 01:43 PM   #3
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
if he is Don Vito Corleone, then Hilary is Fredo.
When do we take her fishing?

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 12-18-2018, 01:52 PM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
When do we take her fishing?
we already did, on election night 2016. we sent her on the boat with Luca Brasi.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:17 PM   #5
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
You dirty rat. Unbelievable what the Don thinks he can get away with, when it comes to influencing witnesses, juries and judges. Well what am I surprised at, he has shown no respect for our judicial system.
Individual 1 calls someone who cooperates with our justice dept. a rat. It must make our law enforcement feel good.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:22 PM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Individual 1 calls someone who cooperates with our justice dept. a rat. It must make our law enforcement feel good.
Doubt it made them feel any worse than when they were called Racist, top to bottom

Old 12-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #7
PaulS

Quote:
Doubt it made them feel any worse than when they were called Racist, top to bottom
Wow, I didn't realize a Pres. did that - which one?
Old 12-18-2018, 04:05 PM   #8
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
That would be the same one who is still living in some peoples heads rent free, right next to Hillary's space.
He also said this:
"All kidding aside, obviously, we all know about your credentials and breadth of experience," he said. "For example, no, seriously, just recently in an episode of 'Celebrity Apprentice,' at the steakhouse, the men's cooking team did not impress the judges from Omaha Steaks. And there was a lot of blame to go around, but you, Mr. Trump, recognized that the real problem was a lack of leadership and so, ultimately, you didn't blame Little John or Meatloaf -- you fired Gary Busey. And these are the kinds of decisions that would keep me up at night. Well-handled, sir. Well-handled."

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-18-2018, 04:06 PM   #9
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
probably the one you'll end up voting for in the next election, unless you are disgusted with her and there's no way you are going to vote for her.

Then there's the one that said the police acted stupidly, but I don't want to be accused of Whatabout-isms or But, but, but......

also didn't realize that only the prez can't say nasty #^&#^&#^&#^& and be held accountable. must be a new rule, or lower standards, or you agree with her.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:08 PM   #10
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
That would be the same one who is still living in some peoples heads rent free, right next to Hillary's space.
He also said this:
"All kidding aside, obviously, we all know about your credentials and breadth of experience," he said. "For example, no, seriously, just recently in an episode of 'Celebrity Apprentice,' at the steakhouse, the men's cooking team did not impress the judges from Omaha Steaks. And there was a lot of blame to go around, but you, Mr. Trump, recognized that the real problem was a lack of leadership and so, ultimately, you didn't blame Little John or Meatloaf -- you fired Gary Busey. And these are the kinds of decisions that would keep me up at night. Well-handled, sir. Well-handled."
That Bastard!!!!

Old 12-18-2018, 04:09 PM   #11
detbuch

Quote:
I would think so, since it was their intention to make him a rat. Unless they thought Cohen should be admired.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:23 PM   #12
spence

Yea, remarking the police did something stupid, which they did, is the same thing as calling a cooperating federal witness a rat while defending the actions of someone who’s pleaded guilty to crimes a federal judge labeled treasonous.

Oh, and you’re potentially implicated in both cases yet you oversee the justice department.

Totally the same.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:59 PM   #13
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Drip, drip, drip, it’s like waiting for the sequel to the original Star Wars, when are the findings going to be released? Trump foundation shut down, to bad Donny can’t buy those new Titelist irons with the slush fund money, not that it would help that game any. Those secret service agents aren’t going to be looking to hard for Donny’s lost balls, not if they are working without pay.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:17 PM   #14
Nebe

Flynn’s sentencing is delayed until he is done squeeling to the FBI. I think a few Trumps and a Kushner are going to be in deep trouble soon
Old 12-18-2018, 05:21 PM   #15
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Yea, remarking the police did something stupid, which they did, is the same thing as calling a cooperating federal witness a rat while defending the actions of someone who’s pleaded guilty to crimes a federal judge labeled treasonous.

Oh, and you’re potentially implicated in both cases yet you oversee the justice department.

Totally the same.
Well, no . . . Cohen is a rat, the cop was not . . . not the same.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:16 PM   #16
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Well, no . . . Cohen is a rat, the cop was not . . . not the same.
Can you try again? That was unusually weak for you.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:05 PM   #17
PaulS

Quote:
probably the one you'll end up voting for in the next election, unless you are disgusted with her and there's no way you are going to vote for her.

Then there's the one that said the police acted stupidly, but I don't want to be accused of Whatabout-isms or But, but, but......

also didn't realize that only the prez can't say nasty #^&#^&#^&#^& and be held accountable. must be a new rule, or lower standards, or you agree with her.
Amy Klobuchar? As she is probably who I would vote for right now.

I guess you're saying Obama called all the cops racist. Can you pull up some quotes. Thanks
Old 12-18-2018, 07:13 PM   #18
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Trump foundation shut down, to bad Donny can’t buy those new Titelist irons with the slush fund money
Don't forget individual one once gave a sick boy a ride on his plane 1982
Old 12-18-2018, 07:40 PM   #19
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Can you try again? That was unusually weak for you.
Nah, I'll stick with it. That you disapprove is a plus.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:53 PM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
Don't forget individual one once gave a sick boy a ride on his plane 1982
Which means nothing?

Is he judged by all he does, Paul, or only the stuff that exonerates your side?

Why did you have to throw out a gesture where he stepped up to try and save a little kid's life? Your hatred runs so deep, your hatred is so deranged, that you make fun of a gesture done to save a sick little kid? You're dismissive of something that great?

And you call me a hater? I wont live long enough to say anything that vile. Ask that kid's family if the gesture was meaningless.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:10 PM   #21
PaulS

I brought that up because you have used that multiple times to defend him. He and his family are grifters who dishonor our country. He brags about how he is a billionaire yet has never had a reputation of being a generous man. Instead he has used his wealth and power to rip off people he has more strength than. He is a miserable human being. What is so vile about what I said?
Old 12-19-2018, 09:15 AM   #22
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Many of the Dons crime family are indited, sentenced and some doing time. I think he is probably more worried about the NYAG than he is about the change in congress on the first. He might need to put a horse head in the NYAG’s bed to avoid a civil case and what that will open up the family to.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:20 AM   #23
Jim in CT

Quote:
I brought that up because you have used that multiple times to defend him. He and his family are grifters who dishonor our country. He brags about how he is a billionaire yet has never had a reputation of being a generous man. Instead he has used his wealth and power to rip off people he has more strength than. He is a miserable human being. What is so vile about what I said?
"I brought that up because you have used that multiple times to defend him"

Not to defend the awful stuff he does, I have never defended that crap, and I have pointed out my fair share. I use it to show, correctly, that there's more to him than the bad stuff.

Lots of wealthy liberals own their own jets. None of them stepped up to help this kid. Trump did. It was a beautiful gesture to me, meaningless to you. Instead of asking why so mane who could have easily helped this kid chose not to, you dismiss the fact that Trump did it.

The truth, is that there's good and bad. I think he's disgusting. But he's done some good, helped some people in ways that I can't.

"He and his family are grifters "

Grifter? All those buildings that have his name on them are an illusion?
Old 12-19-2018, 10:17 AM   #24
PaulS

Quote:
"I brought that up because you have used that multiple times to defend him"

Not to defend the awful stuff he does, I have never defended that crap, and I have pointed out my fair share. I use it to show, correctly, that there's more to him than the bad stuff.And hitler made the trains run on time (I know you'll now say I compared Individual 1 to Hitler) but Trump has no record of being generous with all the billions he claims to have.

Lots of wealthy liberals own their own jets. None of them stepped up to help this kid. Trump did. It was a beautiful gesture to me, meaningless to youI never said it was meaningless. But for a billionaire to only be known for that isn't a strong arguement.. Instead of asking why so mane who could have easily helped this kid chose not to, you dismiss the fact that Trump did it.How do you know no one else offered to do it?

The truth, is that there's good and bad. I think he's disgusting. But he's done some good, helped some people in ways that I can't. Everyone tries to do what they can. I think he claimed he was worth $13 B yet no one knows any meaningful donations he has made and instead he used his foundation as a slush fund.

"He and his family are grifters "

Grifter? All those buildings that have his name on them are an illusion?
Still waiting to hear what was vile about what I said.

Yes, grifters (and look up the definition and think of say Trump University and tell me that word isn't what he is). Trying to make money any way they can. He has a reputation of ripping off workers and contracters in the past. I've told you before many of the buidling with his name on them are not his. He manages some and some he owns. Almost all the buildings on the Hudson river with his name on them are not owned or managed by him. When he sold the property he negotiated that his name would be on them.

He hasn't made a contribution to his foundation since like 2009. It's interesting to hear what was said about his foundation by the NY AG.

"Attorney General Barbara Underwood accused it of “a shocking pattern of illegality” that “amounted to the Trump Foundation functioning as little more than a checkbook to serve Mr. Trump’s business and political interests.”

Whatever money that remains will be disbursed under the supervision of Ms. Underwood’s office and the judge overseeing the continuing lawsuit her office filed in June, seeking $2.8 million in restitution and a ban on Mr. Trump and his three oldest children serving on the boards of other nonprofit organizations.
In a series of stories exposing the foundation’s true nature, The Washington Post found that its largest donation was to fix a fountain in front of the Plaza Hotel in Manhattan, which Mr. Trump owned at the time, that its funds were used to buy a portrait of Mr. Trump, and that it illegally provided political donations and paid for personal legal settlements.

All this comes just days after prosecutors announced that they believed that Mr. Trump had conspired with the owner of The National Enquirer and his fixer Michael Cohen to violate campaign finance laws by paying hush money to two women who said they had affairs with him. It’s also just been reported that prosecutors are investigating spending by the Trump inaugural committee. The president still faces lawsuits on the constitutionality of his enriching himself while in office. Meanwhile, the special counsel’s inquiry may be expanding rather than winding down. "
Old 12-19-2018, 10:57 AM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:
Still waiting to hear what was vile about what I said.

Yes, grifters (and look up the definition and think of say Trump University and tell me that word isn't what he is). Trying to make money any way they can. He has a reputation of ripping off workers and contracters in the past. I've told you before many of the buidling with his name on them are not his. He manages some and some he owns. Almost all the buildings on the Hudson river with his name on them are not owned or managed by him. When he sold the property he negotiated that his name would be on them.

He hasn't made a contribution to his foundation since like 2009. It's interesting to hear what was said about his foundation by the NY AG.

"Attorney General Barbara Underwood accused it of “a shocking pattern of illegality” that “amounted to the Trump Foundation functioning as little more than a checkbook to serve Mr. Trump’s business and political interests.”

Whatever money that remains will be disbursed under the supervision of Ms. Underwood’s office and the judge overseeing the continuing lawsuit her office filed in June, seeking $2.8 million in restitution and a ban on Mr. Trump and his three oldest children serving on the boards of other nonprofit organizations.
In a series of stories exposing the foundation’s true nature, The Washington Post found that its largest donation was to fix a fountain in front of the Plaza Hotel in Manhattan, which Mr. Trump owned at the time, that its funds were used to buy a portrait of Mr. Trump, and that it illegally provided political donations and paid for personal legal settlements.

All this comes just days after prosecutors announced that they believed that Mr. Trump had conspired with the owner of The National Enquirer and his fixer Michael Cohen to violate campaign finance laws by paying hush money to two women who said they had affairs with him. It’s also just been reported that prosecutors are investigating spending by the Trump inaugural committee. The president still faces lawsuits on the constitutionality of his enriching himself while in office. Meanwhile, the special counsel’s inquiry may be expanding rather than winding down. "
"And hitler made the trains run on time "

There you go. Pointing out a wonderful gesture that Trump made, to you, is analogous to complimenting Hitler.

"Trump has no record of being generous "

Tell that to the parents of the boy whose life might have been saved because Trump donated the use of his jet, he also gave away his POTUS salary. I have no doubt that I'd give far more away than he does. That doesn't mean he has no record of being generous.

"Everyone tries to do what they can"

Not on this planet they don't.

He' snot a good guy, and Trump University is a great example of that.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #26
PaulS

Quote:
"And hitler made the trains run on time "

There you go. Pointing out a wonderful gesture that Trump made, to you, is analogous to complimenting Hitler.

"Trump has no record of being generous "

Tell that to the parents of the boy whose life might have been saved because Trump donated the use of his jet, he also gave away his POTUS salaryabout $400K/year and he said he has $13B. Not a high %. I have no doubt that I'd give far more away than he does. That doesn't mean he has no record of being generous.

"Everyone tries to do what they can"

Not on this planet they don't. I think the vast majority of people try to help others.

He' snot a good guy, and Trump University is a great example of that.
You seem to miss the point of the use of Hitler/Trains and the plane ride. The following is from a Univ. of Oxford ethics professor:

Well, they say of Mussolini, at least he made the trains run on time.

Actually, that’s disputed, but that’s by-the-by. While watching the telly, I was struck by a remark of Scotland’s First Minister, Alex Salmond, on the resignation of the leader of Scotland’s Roman Catholic community, Cardinal Keith O’Brien following allegation of sexual misconduct. “It would be a great pity if a lifetime of positive work was lost from comment in the circumstances of his resignation”, said Salmond.

This was a few days ago, before O’Brien admitted to ‘misbehaviour’. Even so, it seemed to me to be a premature and injudicious remark. (And Salmond praised him in other comments too). We still don’t know much about the allegations against O’Brien, not do we know whether others will come forward with additional accusations. The scale of O’Brien’s ‘misbehaviour’ is, at the time of writing, unclear…he may well be guilty of not very much.

However, I would have thought we need such information before we can weigh it in the balance against his good deeds. No life is unrelentingly bad. Just as no life is incessantly good. All lives have at least some good and some bad. In some lives, the bad massively overshadows the good. In such circumstances, we tend – quite rightly in my view – to ignore the good. We do this on grounds of taste. We would object – again quite rightly, in my view – to a person who said “well yes, but putting aside the Jews and the gays, and the torture and the invasions and the war, Adolf did build some marvellous autobahns”. And similar comments would be misplaced even for criminals on a much smaller scale…“it would be a shame if in all the allegations of rape and assault we forgot Jimmy Savile’s tremendous contribution to popular television”.

As I say, we don’t know very much about the O’Brien case. But, sometimes it is not ‘a pity’ to disregard ‘positive work’. It’s the right thing to do.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:36 PM   #27
detbuch

Quote:
You seem to miss the point of the use of Hitler/Trains and the plane ride. The following is from a Univ. of Oxford ethics professor:

Well, they say of Mussolini, at least he made the trains run on time.

Actually, that’s disputed, but that’s by-the-by. While watching the telly, I was struck by a remark of Scotland’s First Minister, Alex Salmond, on the resignation of the leader of Scotland’s Roman Catholic community, Cardinal Keith O’Brien following allegation of sexual misconduct. “It would be a great pity if a lifetime of positive work was lost from comment in the circumstances of his resignation”, said Salmond.

This was a few days ago, before O’Brien admitted to ‘misbehaviour’. Even so, it seemed to me to be a premature and injudicious remark. (And Salmond praised him in other comments too). We still don’t know much about the allegations against O’Brien, not do we know whether others will come forward with additional accusations. The scale of O’Brien’s ‘misbehaviour’ is, at the time of writing, unclear…he may well be guilty of not very much.

However, I would have thought we need such information before we can weigh it in the balance against his good deeds. No life is unrelentingly bad. Just as no life is incessantly good. All lives have at least some good and some bad. In some lives, the bad massively overshadows the good. In such circumstances, we tend – quite rightly in my view – to ignore the good. We do this on grounds of taste. We would object – again quite rightly, in my view – to a person who said “well yes, but putting aside the Jews and the gays, and the torture and the invasions and the war, Adolf did build some marvellous autobahns”. And similar comments would be misplaced even for criminals on a much smaller scale…“it would be a shame if in all the allegations of rape and assault we forgot Jimmy Savile’s tremendous contribution to popular television”.

As I say, we don’t know very much about the O’Brien case. But, sometimes it is not ‘a pity’ to disregard ‘positive work’. It’s the right thing to do.
Is it the right thing to do in the Trump case? Is there anything he has done as President comparable to what Hitler or Mussolini did as the political leaders of their countries that outweigh the good he has done with his policies? Or are there rapes and assaults in his personal life that outweigh his contributions?

Failed businesses, extra-marital affairs, typical shady or unethical deals so common to big business and big and little politicians (including the one he ran against for President)--these are the things that outweigh his good? Do you honestly believe that if the FBI had wanted to go after Hillary for anything in her past, or even for her handling of her emails, with the same intensity and vigor as they are doing with Trump, that they couldn't have found things for which to prosecute and convict her (or just about any other powerful, successful person)? If Trump is the standard for bad rather than good or usual, then we might as well bring down the whole Washington and local government establishments. And most other highly successful and powerful people.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:40 PM   #28
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Is it the right thing to do in the Trump case? Is there anything he has done as President comparable to what Hitler or Mussolini did as the political leaders of their countries that outweigh the good he has done with his policies? Or are there rapes and assaults in his personal life that outweigh his contributions?

Failed businesses, extra-marital affairs, typical shady or unethical deals so common to big business and big and little politicians (including the one he ran against for President)--these are the things that outweigh his good? Do you honestly believe that if the FBI had wanted to go after Hillary for anything in her past, or even for her handling of her emails, with the same intensity and vigor as they are doing with Trump, that they couldn't have found things for which to prosecute and convict her (or just about any other powerful, successful person)? If Trump is the standard for bad rather than good or usual, then we might as well bring down the whole Washington and local government establishments. And most other highly successful and powerful people.
Quite a worldview
Not just limited to politicians,
most highly successful and powerful people would not survive an investigation?
Is this based on your life experience, facts or just your imagination?
You justify Trump by saying most people do that and therefore his behavior is normal.
I think he is far from the norm

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-19-2018, 02:03 PM   #29
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Quite a worldview
Not just limited to politicians,
most highly successful and powerful people would not survive an investigation?
Is this based on your life experience, facts or just your imagination?
You justify Trump by saying most people do that and therefore his behavior is normal.
I think he is far from the norm

Being a highly successful and powerful person IS far from the norm. And power does corrupt.

And yes, most politicians are basically corrupted by the necessity to pretty much having to lie and make false promises to get elected, and by needing to grant favorable legislation to big, corrupt, donors. And by getting more and more "donations" as they get more powerful by staying in office and getting re-elected through the same corrupt system.

Let me ask you, do you not think that if Mueller were to investigate HRC in the same manner and intensity as he is investigating Trump, that he would find some convictable corruption to pin on her?
Old 12-19-2018, 02:40 PM   #30
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:

You keep pointing out all the good he has done, mind spelling that all out for us dim witted individuals, because I'm pretty certain good and bad all depends on point of view. Seems like a lot of the good he claims he is doing keeps getting overruled in the higher courts, but he is keeping many states AG's busy for sure.