Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 02-05-2017, 05:42 PM   #1
Ian
Idiot

Steiger Craft 21 Block Island

Anyone have any experience with these? Looking to possibly get one and I know the name is great but I've never run one of these pilot house style boats.

Would be using it primarily for fishing and family runs to islands off CT/MA

This one has an I/O

The artist formerly known as Scratch59.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 05:53 PM   #2
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I/O is deal breaker

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:34 PM   #3
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I/O is deal breaker
Elaborate?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Old 02-05-2017, 06:51 PM   #4
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

They don't play well in saltwater from my personal experience and from my view of others' experience. Too many breakdowns, required maintenance for me. I think you will be hard pressed to find anyone who will try to tell you it is a superior design to an outboard. Unless they are trying to sell it to you. How many I/o do you see compared to outboards? Ask an experienced mechanic at a yard what they think and the associated repair costs. Look at all the threads on boating boards about converting I/O to outboards with a bracket. Just my .02

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:23 PM   #5
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
They don't play well in saltwater from my personal experience and from my view of others' experience. Too many breakdowns, required maintenance for me. I think you will be hard pressed to find anyone who will try to tell you it is a superior design to an outboard. Unless they are trying to sell it to you. How many I/o do you see compared to outboards? Ask an experienced mechanic at a yard what they think and the associated repair costs. Look at all the threads on boating boards about converting I/O to outboards with a bracket. Just my .02
That $.02 is the reason I made the post

That feedback is really good and I appreciate it. Price is right, so might be one of those things where if the hull is good, an outboard conversion later on would be on the table.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:41 PM   #6
Clammer

There is a local digger that has one & also fishes offshore ...ordered it new .it was his 2ns stieger craft .......I can,t remember if this one came with the I/o or he ordered it with a bracket .either way that what is runs is a O/B on a bracket .sweet hull IMO ><><

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:20 PM   #7
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
There is a local digger that has one & also fishes offshore ...ordered it new .it was his 2ns stieger craft .......I can,t remember if this one came with the I/o or he ordered it with a bracket .either way that what is runs is a O/B on a bracket .sweet hull IMO ><><
Hull does seem pretty slick... might be worth the buy to convert to OB if the I/O ever goes.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:47 PM   #8
Clammer

IF ya want I can reach out to him & see if hid 2nd boat was ordered with or without O/D <><

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 02-06-2017, 04:02 PM   #9
ronfish

I know some I/O's can not be converted to outboards due to the structure of the transom not being able to hold the weight. You might want to check if it would be possible before going for it. Just my .02. Ron
ronfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:14 PM   #10
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronfish View Post
I know some I/O's can not be converted to outboards due to the structure of the transom not being able to hold the weight. You might want to check if it would be possible before going for it. Just my .02. Ron
Good call, I'll do some research. I saw a bunch of mentions of conversion projects on other boating boards, so I figured it was a given... but before investing I'll do real research and ask some folks

Clammed, that'd be awesome, thanks!

Boat is under $5k with a motor that was new in '04, so the risk is pretty minimal here.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:04 PM   #11
bassballer

Good boat. Id be cautious of that I/O like others have said. For that price though might be worth it with a thorough survey.
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:08 PM   #12
Clammer

I,ll stop over his house tomorrow after he digs & LYK >><

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 02-07-2017, 02:29 PM   #13
Jim in CT

Ian, there is a young captain in eastern CT (Mike Roy of Reel Cast Charters) who has a Steiger 21 center console. I have been on that boat, it is awesome.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:31 PM   #14
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Ian, there is a young captain in eastern CT (Mike Roy of Reel Cast Charters) who has a Steiger 21 center console. I have been on that boat, it is awesome.
Jim, I'm aware of that boat

This is a much older hull and a pilot house style. I do believe however that Steiger has been a solid hull for years. We shall see, I have a friend checking it out tomorrow to see if it's worth calling in a surveyor.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:15 PM   #15
Clammer

Irn, sorry it took a few days .....I just left him .we tried to go digging , but the plows blocked our access .

he had both custom made . the 1st had a cutty with a I/o the 2nd [pictured ] has a outboard ,
c/c

both have the same hull , both motors needed work ..but he puts in over 300 days a year . ran offshore with both .

But he said the cutty w ith the I/o rode a lot better , especially offshore & in snotty water
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CHRIS H.JPG (106.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg water 002 (14).JPG (62.7 KB, 14 views)

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 02-10-2017, 05:49 PM   #16
Ian
Idiot

Love that CC hull, but you don't see many. Good to know on the I/O.. got some pics back from a buddy that stopped by the boat on Wednesday. It's all bundled up at the boat yard so couldn't see much, but the trailer looks like it's been dancing with salt water for a while.

At this point I'm going to try and wait out the ice and make sure the ride and motor are as I want. Won't be long now.