Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Ice Fishing

Ice Fishing Fishing Hardwater

Old 01-15-2015, 05:01 PM   #1
Sea Dangles

Good to be back on the ice

It feels great to have the local ponds frozen and get out for some much needed fishing. We had quite the outing at a local pond, complete with the smoker for some jerk chicken thighs and a barrel for some Portugee meat on the stick! We had a decent amount of action ( except Niko) with a few good bass in the mix. The next day...0 flags in 4 hours...? Hit a pond towards the cape for some trout yesterday morning and some decent bass on the deep baits. If anybody goes for smelt soon, I can't believe how much the trout LOVE these things.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:40 AM   #2
Rockfish9

yes it is... sounds like you had a few good trips... but as I'm sure you know it's not always about the catching.... smelt are all I use if I want quality trout... try fishing those smelt 12-24" under the ice over the drop offs... larger fish tend to patrol those edges rather than the flats themselves...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:58 PM   #3
Rob Rockcrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post
yes it is... sounds like you had a few good trips... but as I'm sure you know it's not always about the catching.... smelt are all I use if I want quality trout... try fishing those smelt 12-24" under the ice over the drop offs... larger fish tend to patrol those edges rather than the flats themselves...

You using the smelt live or dead? I have been trying to fool trout in my lake and have no success under the ice, i had one flag today and missed it.

Everything is better on the rocks.
Rob Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:39 AM   #4
Sea Dangles

Alive
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:24 AM   #5
Rockfish9

Alive.... there are two ways to fish specifically for them..one is with power bait and Salmon eggs or meal or earth worms over sandy or gravel bottom in 2-5' of water. Look for point where shore line rocks or a fallen tree might force the fish to swing out... set tight to this structure...Rainbows roam so one tip up can cover 100' of shore line... another method .. which is the one I deploy most often..is to fish medium shiners or smelt out over ledges and drop... I find the edge just where the water starts to drop.. the sharper the drop...the better the pinch point... I fish the bait 2'-4' under the ice... this method is best if you are seeking larger trout... I also catch bass..pickerel...white and yellow perch using this method....

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote