Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2018, 11:53 AM   #1
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits
iTrader: (0)
 
Got Stripers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: I live in a house, but my soul is at sea.
Posts: 4,059
When confronted with crazy?

Clammer will relate to this story. My early spring freshwater spot has only 2-3 spots where you can park a truck/trailer, so I pull in early this morning and in addition to a couple small trailers, there is a small two door toyota coup parked in the only other spot for a trailer. I had to cram the truck in as best I could and after pulling the Yak off the trailer, literally drag the trailer to the side so as to not block others coming and going.

Met one of the boaters and asked if he knew who owned the coup and he knew it was a couple guys in a crawdad. Saw them coming 3 hours later on an electric trolling motor and pedal over as ask who owned the coup and after the nod, I mentioned there were a dozen spots you could have parked, it would have been considerate not to take up the remaining trailer spot. OMG this guy goes nuts and when I say nuts, I mean crazy nuts. I think if he were under power in a bass boat, I'd have been in trouble, so now I know he is heading back to the ramp and it will be easy for him to determine my trailer.

At this point he has used every swear word a dozen times, called me over so he can kick my ass, so I decided keeping a truck or trailer from damage was more important than fishing. I easily beat him back to the dirt ramp, but not with enough time to load and beat feet to avoid a confrontation. So lucky me I get to endure another 30 minutes of out and out rage from this lunatic and try as I might to have a civil discussion; it just got him more furious that I wasn't willing to come ashore so he could kick my butt. At 65 with a bad back, I don't go ashore to see if I can trade blows with a 6'2 lunatic 40 year old, who probably went 230 and not around the waste.

He wanted me to come ashore in the worst way and it reminded me about a night on a river with Clammer and while I probably saved us both from physical harm that night by not heading back to the ramp; I did come in to find my tire slashed. Heard later from the local game warden he was a crazy SOB and we were lucky not to have gone ashore to confront him.

Boy you would think you could talk to a fellow fisherman, but sadly I've found that isn't the case when stupid and angry mix. The two other boaters were sympathetic and agreed the guy was not only a mental case (they both hear him from 50 yards away) and that they too were bumped the best trailer spot out of the 3 had a two door coup in it when they arrived.

Crazy drunk boaters running right over your gear and spooling your reels, insane lobsterman threatening you because your fishing his 15 acre ledge, finding slashed tires at a local bass pond because you might have parked in someones secret spot, the nutty night with Clammer and the hits keep coming. I'm glad he wasn't packing a side arm, because frankly I'm not sure he wasn't prepared to use it. I let the guy in the 16 foot vhull pull out first, because I frankly wasn't sure this clown wasn't driving a few blocks away to give me time to get on shore, so he could make the return trip. I hate crap like this, because it makes you think twice about hitting your favorite spring spot, time to keep it to weekdays like I try to.

Last edited by Got Stripers; 04-14-2018 at 11:59 AM..
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 17,380
I think some people are just #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&s and need to be left to themselves.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #3
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 19,816
You know he voted for trump, right?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:11 PM   #4
Pete F.
Master tråd morder
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vt
Posts: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
You know he voted for trump, right?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Twice
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Pete

"Character is Destiny"
Heraclitus 500 B.C.
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:55 PM   #5
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 19,816

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:56 PM   #6
Dick Durand
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Narragansett
Posts: 886
What an unfortunate experience. Evidently, the guy had a problem with constructive criticism. I feel your pain.
I fished for trout at a fly-fishing pond this morning, and thank goodness everyone had a good time.
Dick Durand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 04:35 PM   #7
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,943
If you were really concerned with your getting in a fight you should have just called the police and had them meet you there. Glad nothing happened.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 04:54 PM   #8
Clammer
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Clammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Warwick RI,02889
Posts: 10,512
bob .ya didn,t mention that the guy that slashed your tires also had a spear gun .hey I paid for 1/2 ya tire .
Just got in from opening day .I won,t bother with my experiences

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:09 PM   #9
Guppy
User
iTrader: (0)
 
Guppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 3,018
Wait all winter to fish a decent day and this....
Rest of season will be a cake walk Bob.....
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:56 AM   #10
Rappin Mikey
My brother is bald
iTrader: (0)
 
Rappin Mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 4,273
Unfortunately, this is a typical reaction for some when they realize they might have done something wrong or inconsiderate. It's much easier to get angry for some then take ownership for actions.

seals + plovers =
Rappin Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:20 AM   #11
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits
iTrader: (0)
 
Got Stripers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: I live in a house, but my soul is at sea.
Posts: 4,059
I've seen road rage far too many times and this is exactly the type of guy that had I given him the finger for cutting me off, he would run me off the road. Probably the primary reason I didn't call the cops while enduring the 30 minutes of threats at the ramp, because then my name and address might become part of the record; better to call it a lost fishing day and move on.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:45 AM   #12
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist
iTrader: (1)
 
JohnR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Somewhere between OOB & west of Watch Hill
Posts: 32,035
Blog Entries: 1
What an ass....

Walked out to Naps one night 10+ years ago and some guy out on one of the rocks was yelling at us saying he had a gun and would shoot.

People suck

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers


Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.


Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:47 AM   #13
MAKAI
Too old to give a....
iTrader: (0)
 
MAKAI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,093
That asswipe won’t have a long life.
He’ll end up poking the wrong bear.
Karma.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
MAKAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:14 AM   #14
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 17,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Walked out to Naps one night 10+ years ago and some guy out on one of the rocks was yelling at us saying he had a gun and would shoot.
Did PIEMMA at least apologize?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:47 AM   #15
ilovetwofish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: R.I.
Posts: 515
It never fails opening day is a experience and why i don't go anymore.
ilovetwofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:00 AM   #16
JoeBass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 490
sorry to hear this. I've had a few myself.
JoeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:03 PM   #17
clambo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Attleboro, Ma
Posts: 67
4, 2 1/2 in Roofing nails nicely placed
clambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:18 PM   #18
Guppy
User
iTrader: (0)
 
Guppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 3,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by clambo View Post
4, 2 1/2 in Roofing nails nicely placed
Wo! Sweet idea
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:36 PM   #19
MAKAI
Too old to give a....
iTrader: (0)
 
MAKAI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,093
Removing 2 valve stems works pissa too 👍
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
MAKAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:09 AM   #20
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man
iTrader: (0)
 
piemma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 8,489
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Did PIEMMA at least apologize?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Probably more than 10 years ago and it was at Black Point!

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:15 AM   #21
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man
iTrader: (0)
 
piemma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 8,489
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Clammer will relate to this story. My early spring freshwater spot has only 2-3 spots where you can park a truck/trailer, so I pull in early this morning and in addition to a couple small trailers, there is a small two door toyota coup parked in the only other spot for a trailer. I had to cram the truck in as best I could and after pulling the Yak off the trailer, literally drag the trailer to the side so as to not block others coming and going.

Met one of the boaters and asked if he knew who owned the coup and he knew it was a couple guys in a crawdad. Saw them coming 3 hours later on an electric trolling motor and pedal over as ask who owned the coup and after the nod, I mentioned there were a dozen spots you could have parked, it would have been considerate not to take up the remaining trailer spot. OMG this guy goes nuts and when I say nuts, I mean crazy nuts. I think if he were under power in a bass boat, I'd have been in trouble, so now I know he is heading back to the ramp and it will be easy for him to determine my trailer.

At this point he has used every swear word a dozen times, called me over so he can kick my ass, so I decided keeping a truck or trailer from damage was more important than fishing. I easily beat him back to the dirt ramp, but not with enough time to load and beat feet to avoid a confrontation. So lucky me I get to endure another 30 minutes of out and out rage from this lunatic and try as I might to have a civil discussion; it just got him more furious that I wasn't willing to come ashore so he could kick my butt. At 65 with a bad back, I don't go ashore to see if I can trade blows with a 6'2 lunatic 40 year old, who probably went 230 and not around the waste.

He wanted me to come ashore in the worst way and it reminded me about a night on a river with Clammer and while I probably saved us both from physical harm that night by not heading back to the ramp; I did come in to find my tire slashed. Heard later from the local game warden he was a crazy SOB and we were lucky not to have gone ashore to confront him.

Boy you would think you could talk to a fellow fisherman, but sadly I've found that isn't the case when stupid and angry mix. The two other boaters were sympathetic and agreed the guy was not only a mental case (they both hear him from 50 yards away) and that they too were bumped the best trailer spot out of the 3 had a two door coup in it when they arrived.

Crazy drunk boaters running right over your gear and spooling your reels, insane lobsterman threatening you because your fishing his 15 acre ledge, finding slashed tires at a local bass pond because you might have parked in someones secret spot, the nutty night with Clammer and the hits keep coming. I'm glad he wasn't packing a side arm, because frankly I'm not sure he wasn't prepared to use it. I let the guy in the 16 foot vhull pull out first, because I frankly wasn't sure this clown wasn't driving a few blocks away to give me time to get on shore, so he could make the return trip. I hate crap like this, because it makes you think twice about hitting your favorite spring spot, time to keep it to weekdays like I try to.
Terrible. I was never that crazy and was always respectful of other fisherman. I did have a guy pull a gun on me on the West Wall one year when I accused him of keeping short fish. Pointed a 9MM Glock in my face and asked me what I was going to do about it. Thank God this was before I had my Concealed Carry Permit or there would have been an incident, rest assured.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:42 AM   #22
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 19,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
Terrible. I was never that crazy and was always respectful of other fisherman. I did have a guy pull a gun on me on the West Wall one year when I accused him of keeping short fish. Pointed a 9MM Glock in my face and asked me what I was going to do about it. Thank God this was before I had my Concealed Carry Permit or there would have been an incident, rest assured.
Wow. What did you do about that? I can tell you what I would have done...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:56 AM   #23
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 17,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Wow. What did you do about that? I can tell you what I would have done...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Soiled your waders.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:21 AM   #24
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 1,888
Had 1 incident a few years back on elbow ledge saw a guy catching and i was not he was 50 yards from us so I pulled out my binoculars never started the boat never moved . Then the guys in the other boat see me looking start filliping out yelling throwing their hands in the air as if i pulled along side and dropped my lines.. From my observation the were using short scup the tide died they left and i still caught nothing


One shore story was fishing Hicks bridge for spring schoolies get there 4 am start fishing 3 people show one guy starts conversation hello are you from westport I say no but my mom lives in town bla bla bla then i notice the guy puts his rod down and walks off I keep fishing then i see cop flys over the bridge .. ok it happens then wouldn't ya know a few minutes later theres a cop on the shore line saying he is going to ticket anyone with out a ramp sticker ... out of 4 people there i was the only one with out a sticker ... the guy i was talking to left called the cops and stood right next to me fishing till the cops showed .. I just looked him in the eye as i left and said your a f****en loser.. the cop was sympathetic not his fault and i've never been back

Last edited by wdmso; 04-16-2018 at 08:38 AM..
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:43 AM   #25
Clammer
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Clammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Warwick RI,02889
Posts: 10,512
IMO Westport got really suck .to out of towners ><><

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:19 AM   #26
Rockfish9
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Rockfish9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Reading Mass/Newburyport/merrimack river
Posts: 3,066
and these are the same people driving our roads every day...

the sun don't shine on one dogs XXX all the time... your day will come...revenge is a dish best served cold.

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:14 PM   #27
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 19,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Soiled your waders.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I would have walked away and called the wakefield police.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:17 AM   #28
Poncho
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Poncho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NBPT
Posts: 346
To many crazy people out there you just never know. Unless I am at risk of unavoidable harm I think I would just walk away, this is precisely what cops get paid to do.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Poncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:18 AM   #29
Poncho
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Poncho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NBPT
Posts: 346
Always someone tougher this guy will get it
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Poncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:00 PM   #30
fishrick
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
fishrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East Hampton, CT
Posts: 885
Just Sad... But, there are a$%^&holes everywhere. Unfortunately I tend to get into it!
fishrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com