Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 07-29-2017, 07:15 AM   #31
wdmso

I like the thread even with a brand new boat I am finding things I don't like such as limited bilge access ( more like none) as for running new wires in the t -top depending on the holes mine had access thru the t top in the console I took a tag line wallmart bag and used shop vac to pull it thru for a new transducer i used a small plumbing snake to do the same thing .. and I am not a handy guy . But it made it easy
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:52 PM   #32
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
I like the thread even with a brand new boat I am finding things I don't like such as limited bilge access ( more like none) as for running new wires in the t -top depending on the holes mine had access thru the t top in the console I took a tag line wallmart bag and used shop vac to pull it thru for a new transducer i used a small plumbing snake to do the same thing .. and I am not a handy guy . But it made it easy
Did you have to drill a hole in the top anywhere to get the wire back out in the destination you wanted the wire to come out at?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

The artist formerly known as Scratch59.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:52 PM   #33
Ian
Idiot

So not everything with a new (to me) boat is about picking fun accessories and getting it set up the way I want it... There are also things like the motor not exactly running correctly.

Today I finally had some time to look into that and found some pretty unpleasant stuff. Of the 6 carbs on the motor, 5 of them have a crack in the bottom assembly that holds the float. These things are all plastic, so I guess pressure over time ended up doing them in??!

So I ordered a new set of lower assemblies and pulled all the carbs off the motor to disassemble them while I wait for the parts to ship and arrive. Fingers crossed this thing is back on the water in time for vacation next Saturday!

Old 07-29-2017, 06:53 PM   #34
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Someone told me even with an unlimited budget it will take you 2 years to get your boat the way you want.

I won't mention budget or what I spent but I'm working on my second year and still have a long list of stuff to get done. And the list of stuff that has been done is VERY LONG.

Last edited by GattaFish; 07-29-2017 at 06:59 PM..
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:35 PM   #35
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GattaFish View Post
Someone told me even with an unlimited budget it will take you 2 years to get your boat the way you want.

I won't mention budget or what I spent but I'm working on my second year and still have a long list of stuff to get done. And the list of stuff that has been done is VERY LONG.
I like that... makes me realize I'm not an idiot (for this reason at least)

Old 07-29-2017, 09:03 PM   #36
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GattaFish View Post

LMAO, Tom. How true.... And just when you have almost optimized it, you fall in love with another boat...... I have fallen hard for Sea Dangles' boat.....
Ian, you do know what BOAT stands for?.........

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:26 PM   #37
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
LMAO, Tom. How true.... And just when you have almost optimized it, you fall in love with another boat...... I have fallen hard for Sea Dangles' boat.....
I haven't hit that threshold yet, but after the chartplotter, I'll happily be able to say it's been broken out

Old 07-30-2017, 07:39 AM   #38
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Did you have to drill a hole in the top anywhere to get the wire back out in the destination you wanted the wire to come out at?

The holes were all ready there they left the pipe on the t top open from the console to were it attached to the electronics box
Old 07-30-2017, 07:40 AM   #39
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Quote:

Break out another TEN. my how times have changed.

I am very interested to see the results of the 40' O'Bay.

GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:26 AM   #40
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Me too, Tom. My hope is that sales of the 40 will put some of the 27s on the secondary market closer to my budget..........

Ian, having a grommet fitted into any hole drilled in T-top frame is essential to prevent cables from getting rubbed and cut by rough edges underway.

Last edited by nightfighter; 07-30-2017 at 08:32 AM..

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:31 AM   #41
MakoMike

Quote:
Me too, Tom. My hope is that sales of the 40 will put some of the 27s on the secondary market closer to my budget..........

Ian, having a grommet fitted into any hole drilled in T-top frame is essential to prevent cables from getting rubbed and cut by rough edges underway.
Am appropriate sized piece of PVC pipe secured in place will also do the trick.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:13 PM   #42
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

In my opinion, if you're looking to get your boat on the water in time for your upcoming vacation......stop everything else and concentrate on getting her running right. In the end, that's what matters most....(needing solid electronics are part of that, but still fall second to reliability while out on the water with your family).
There's only one thing worse than having your boat fail while out on the water....and that's having loved ones on board when it happens........that's why I mostly invite people I don't care about out on my boat...

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:38 PM   #43
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloocrab View Post
In my opinion, if you're looking to get your boat on the water in time for your upcoming vacation......stop everything else and concentrate on getting her running right. In the end, that's what matters most....(needing solid electronics are part of that, but still fall second to reliability while out on the water with your family).
There's only one thing worse than having your boat fail while out on the water....and that's having loved ones on board when it happens........that's why I mostly invite people I don't care about out on my boat...
Lucky for me, those projects are overlapping.

Coils, carb rebuild kits, fuel water filter and other motor stuff will be here Wednesday, New canvas will be here Tuesday, carbs are disassembled waiting for the rebuild parts right now, and I started adjusting wires running up the t-top this weekend and am almost done (gonna save the through-top wiring for the winter.)

Assuming thunderstorms hold off, she should be back out on the water Thursday evening to see if everything is running right.

As things stand right now, I think I got lucky with the motor stuff, but only time will tell.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:43 AM   #44
JFigliuolo

Kinda in line w/what Blue said... Put off alot of the cosmetic stuff until it gets cold. That's what winter is for. You don't want to get burned out. Like other said... It is a LONG road. After 4 years I THINK I finally got her where I like her.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:56 AM   #45
wdmso

dont for get Sea tow or boat USA best 150 bucks spent
Old 08-01-2017, 07:10 AM   #46
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
dont for get Sea tow or boat USA best 150 bucks spent
Went with Boat US

Old 08-03-2017, 10:45 PM   #47
Ian
Idiot

Carbs are back together, gonna get them on the motor in the AM. Left throttle body has to come off to get to the last set of seals.

New coil and on-motor trim switch went on last night to hopefully fix the electrical issues.

Tomorrow if we aren't crazy packing for Saturday's departure I want to get her in the water to fire her up and test her out.

Nothing like procrastination. Wife actually told me this evening, "You can work on the boat when we get to the cape, you'll have 2 weeks to do it."... she's nuts!
Old 08-05-2017, 09:34 PM   #48
Ian
Idiot

Lost a hub on the trailer on our way up this morning. Boat is now taking an extended leave in Johnston while the shop orders and installs a new axle.

Boat will be here Tuesday if all goes well... then hopefully 1 day to get the motor back together... maybe I'll have her spitting white smoke again before the end of this vacation
Old 08-06-2017, 06:10 AM   #49
Guppy
User

Geeees
Tough luck Ian , plenty to do on CC, enjoy
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:38 AM   #50
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Geeees
Tough luck Ian , plenty to do on CC, enjoy
Certainly not what I had planned, but we've been vacationing here without a boat for years, one more won't matter.