Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 05-19-2018, 06:12 PM   #1
Cool Beans

NEVER use ATF to substitute Dot3.......

Brake line blew out on base the other night. Cut/spliced jerry rigged the darn thing to get home. Did not have any brake fluid..... a buddy says uses ATF, they are both hydraulic fluids....

It worked. Got home OK, replaced the brake line the next day, bled all the air out and refilled with DOT3. It worked for a few days, until yesterday, the brakes felt a bit odd, firm pedal one stop then all the way to the floor the next stop. I thought maybe air somewhere, so I bled all 4 and still same issue. Then I looked it up online.... my truck is toast now... ATF is petroleum based and DOT3 is not. ATF causes all of the seals to expand and then collapse, eventually causing total failure or in some cases the expanded seals block off one of the valves in the master cylinder causing the brakes to seize up.

I looked it up, for parts alone is close to $1,000. Master cylinder, all 4 brake calipers, brake power booster and the ABS control system as well, and maybe all of the lines. It's pretty much impossible to clean that crap out....

Cool Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:37 AM   #2
tysdad115

Yeah..your buddy has no clue. The steel lines will be ok but you'll need new brake hoses too.

You won't need the brake booster but will need the ABS hydraulic control unit.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:38 AM   #3
Cool Beans

On a side note I bought this from Barry Motor in Newport a few years ago. When the brakes were acting up, I decided to adjust the emergency brake as it did not seem to do much.

The emergency brake cables are not connected to the back wheels at all. Does not look like the cable installed is actually correct for my truck. The emergency brake pedal feels firm because of the strong spring, but it doesn't actually do anything.

I guess I will be replacing the rear wheel hubs as well as the E brake cable....on top of the rest.... lucky I can do this myself or mechanic costs would be more than this piece of junk is worth....
Old 05-22-2018, 12:35 PM   #4
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
Brake line blew out on base the other night. Cut/spliced jerry rigged the darn thing to get home. Did not have any brake fluid..... a buddy says uses ATF, they are both hydraulic fluids....

It worked. Got home OK, replaced the brake line the next day, bled all the air out and refilled with DOT3. It worked for a few days, until yesterday, the brakes felt a bit odd, firm pedal one stop then all the way to the floor the next stop. I thought maybe air somewhere, so I bled all 4 and still same issue. Then I looked it up online.... my truck is toast now... ATF is petroleum based and DOT3 is not. ATF causes all of the seals to expand and then collapse, eventually causing total failure or in some cases the expanded seals block off one of the valves in the master cylinder causing the brakes to seize up.

I looked it up, for parts alone is close to $1,000. Master cylinder, all 4 brake calipers, brake power booster and the ABS control system as well, and maybe all of the lines. It's pretty much impossible to clean that crap out....

Maybe your "buddy" can help pay for imparting his useless knowledge?

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:34 PM   #5
Cool Beans

Took forever to replace everything. I ended up replacing everything except about 12 feet of metal lines. The rest of the brake system has been replaced. went through 6 of the 32 ounce brake fluid bottles to flush and refill the system. Road test was good. Brakes firm and stops fine.. of course the stupid light is still on.,.. but it has been on for 2 years ......
Old 05-27-2018, 05:28 AM   #6
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

What kind of car?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:42 AM   #7
Cool Beans

2004 F-150