Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 06-22-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
inTHERAPY

Why must people suck so?

Why have "we", as a group, come to a place where almost every discussion goes to sht. "Big fish caught So of the Block". The only words to say is Congrats. The poster didn't ask for opinions but hre comes "equivalent to shooting fish in a barrell". These thoughtless comments are useless and degrade the atmosphere of this site! Art

rather be fishin'
inTHERAPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

jealousy comes to mind...or elitism....could be another season

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Maybe said poster should go south of Block, and demonstrate how easy it is to accomplish.... surely he can post a pic with his 60 by, say Wednesday?

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

I post about 1/10th as much here as I used to. It's just getting to be a drag. I said what I thought in that thread and I think it's going to go right up that guy's ass. But, I think he's way off base.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
boot man

Unfortunately, all it takes is one kid to piss in the pool for everyone else to react to swimming in sewage.
boot man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:07 AM   #6
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Belittling someone else's catch really is an injustice that irks many people including myself. I guess fishing brings out egos in people in many different ways, and some are simply jealous or have to try to justify to themselves and others why they themselves have not caught a 60.
You also get the other end where some who do catch cows have to prove what he-men they are by posting pics and stuff all the time(not that everyone that posts pics are insecure, just that some it looks obvious, most just want to share their excitement).
This website forum has all kinds of different people on it of many different stages of maturity, so those kinds of things will and do happen. I wish we could all get along. Me personally when fishing with friends or strangers even, I will compliment anyone who lands a nice fish and I appreciate it when others acknowledge mine, that is how it's supposed to be.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:22 AM   #7
Bronko

It does get tiring. I think it really is the 'perfect storm' of immaturity, jealousy, ego and personal opinion that tends to cause these flare-ups.

This crap is starting to wear on me and it tends to detract from why I come to this site.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:32 AM   #8
Joe

I don't think participating in fishing discussions on a message board is the kind of thing most people will find rewarding forever. There's a competitiveness (for a lot of people) that creeps in and brings with it a lot of other stuff. For a newcomer though, it is a huge resource.

It seems that the people who are most happy here do most of their participating away from the main board.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:43 AM   #9
Hooper
Southsider

My two cents here, I'm going to piss somebody off for sure but here goes.

When I read that thread I thought, wow, some of these guys have the "I'm better than you" mentality that I see as very common with the flyfishing crowd. To me, fly fishing and surf fishing both have their loyal followings, but the attitude seems to be..."I'm just a little bit better than you because I appreciate the sport more than you because I use a 6 wt flyrod, not bait, not wire, not plugs, etc, etc."

Which is similar to this debate, "if it wasn't caught on a beach, it was easy to catch a 60 lb bass. Now if it were caught on a beach, that's real sport"
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:07 AM   #10
Saltheart

I don't understand why people feel someone elses catch deminishes the value of their catch. I've said this before...the only fish that matters is your next one. Even that fish only matters if you have fun catching it. Its so easy and costs nothing to just say "Nice Fish".

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote