Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
jeffthechef
shut up and fish

lip question

having no long term experience, i'll turn to you guys for your opinions and input on what i've seen. it's my first year building as some of you now. i've been turning and testing a lot of roundhead swimmers (about 40 so far), where i feel i can learn about bouyancy and stability. they are not exact copies of any specific plug. the width and taper i vary as i turn, so i can learn about the subtle differences each style offers. weight between 28-55 grams, sealed and un-dressed. i have been using L-1 hi, A-style and even some 1 1/8 on the bigger ones. the smaller ones all have been getting mainly the the L-1. briefly, i have noticed that all swim very well, , at a notch above a crawl, at a crawl they skim the top and offer an excellent stable pattern, maybe the 1 1/8 less so. more current the better (i fisha lot of big water, so thats fine). if you choose, they will dig up to 2 feet and are awesome swimmers. these lips produce an excellent wiggle. the A style offers an excellent dig and swim up to 2 feet under on the smaller and largest plugs. the 1 1/8 with current and a foot or so of depth offers a slight zig-zag with the right speed. so the question is.....1. am i wrong in deciding that these lips basically offer the same style of swimming qualities, and that each has its own characteristics better suited to different types of water. 2. would a Danny 2 offer about the same results? I know this is basic stuff for a lot of you guys, but hey, i am a peanut amongst giants here and appreciate the input!
thanks, jeff
jeffthechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Somewhere in the last year or two there has been a thread about this. Bottom line is nobody understands it very well.
The lip shape is only part of the equation. The angle of the bend, wire hole position, height of the lip slot, length of the plug, location of the weight, width of the plug, and hook position/size are all equally or more important factors.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
pbadad

If it looks good, let it rip. Don't too crazy!!

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:41 AM   #4
jeffthechef
shut up and fish

i thought it was a superflous question!!
jeffthechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:34 AM   #5
pbadad

Got me on that word"superflous" I had to look up the meaning. My thought on lips. Experiment but don't get too crazy.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote