Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 07-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Fox Living Under my House!!

Noticed it a couple of weeks ago at night and didn't think twice about it. Then my step daughter comes in screaming last week when it ran right by her while she was playing with our dogs outside while they were tied up. Then l see him walk right by me in our driveway and scratch his head on the road in front of our house. Never cared about me or my dogs. Is living under a crawl space under an addition to our house. Neighbors saw him yesterday in my yard and called the cops who arrived with a shotgun but couldn't catch him. Animal control was at my house for two hours today and he never showed. She thinks it isn't rabid because it's hunting in the neighborhood and coming back to the new home. She said if it was rabid it would be roaming aimlessly. She said it could be a female with a litter under there. I have North River Wildlife coming out to trap it tomorrow along with animal control. Going to cost me $275!!!!!!

"Sunshine Day Dream"
MarshCappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1687.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	52505   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1688.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	52506   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1689.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	52507  

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 07-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
spence

I'd shoot it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

I don't own a gun. My neighbor does but honestly I don't want him over here firing under my house. I'll pay to have experts deal with this. I was thinking of trapping him myself but I can see it dragging on and on. The wildlife expert is going to teach me how to critter proof my house. His warranty is 3 months. In the 8 years I have lived here we've had coyote, skunk, fisher cat, racoons, possum, and now fox take up residence on my property. With my kids and pets safety my primary concern I'll pay the expert to get rid of it and teach me some preventative measures.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 07-03-2012, 05:11 AM   #5
Raven

THEY LOVE BREAD SO MAKE HIM A HOT SANDWICH
WITH cAYENE PEPPER THEN HE HAS TO RUN TO WATER
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:37 AM   #6
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

OK he's not there this morning. I took a some pics of underneath the room and it was vacant. I'll head to the store today and buy some chicken wire and seal it off. That will save me some money. Thank god no litter under there. He must have sensed that something was going to happen soon with all the commotion lately. So much for suburban living Mr Foxy. Head back to your country home please!!

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 07-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

You had a fisher cat living on your property too?

Those things are insane!

Two weeks ago I was out doing some sweet water fishing at a local pond, kept hearing these crazy blood curdling cries. Then it popped out, was about 3 feet long. Walked the edge of the pond then attacked a baby swan and dragged it off while the others got away.

Things are vicious.

I'm surprised the dogs scent and urine didn't keep the fox away.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
PaulS

B/f you spend the $, talk to animal control. I would think they'd get rid of it. They do in my town. Good luck.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
Sea Dangles

I have one that comes to attempt to turn my cat into dinner quite often.Always ends up a stalemate. Two days ago it came at 2 in the afternoon and got loud,picture a crying baby type of loud,so I tried to discourage it with my pellet gun.Hit it 3 times from 100 ft. and after the fourth hit the critter hobbled away. I gave chase and stepped on a bees nest.That ended the chase...I was now prey.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #10
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Get a have-a-hart trap and tie two plovers by thier legs inside the trap. You'll get the fox in no time.

Now, no joking, you do not want a fox on your property. Mean nasty and usually sick, distemper.......I'd use a pellet gun like dangles. Pump it up ten or twelve times. Even if you only wound it, but are able to get closer for the end round, thats what I'd do. If you buy a have-a-hart and dont know what to do afterwards, PM me.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
Fly Rod

U sure that was a fox? Seems kinda big to be a fox plus third picture shows a thin tail... not bushy...long legged too
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #12
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Yea guys he's gone as of this morning and I sealed off the area with chicken wire and blocks. Scattered a box of moth balls under the room and it smells like Gram Ma's house now!! Glad it didn't come down to it being killed and hopefully it moved on to a better place.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 07-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #13
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

I've gotten rid of skunks and woodchucks with dens under my porch
by putting the hose down the holes, during the day when they are in
there, and let it run for a few hours. They come shooting out fast and the
water ends up collapsing the den. They don't come back.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #14
Raven

yeah Dave,
after i read that most skunk DENS that are coming around each night are within 100 feet of your house i searched every inch
and found a den.

Shoved the hose in there and let it rip. I was having a cup of coffee out on the deck and suddenly i was seeing all this shimmering
in the early morning light and it was the wet white fur of ten baby skunks shaking off the water....
that crawled out of there to follow MoMMa skunk to a new dry DEN. It was like a parade.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #15
Rockfish9

that fox has the mainge... also callled scabbies... it is parasite driven and usual kills them...that is the reason it is scratching on the road... the poor thing is in agoany..it will be best to put it down... hopefully it does not die under you crawl space..

healthy foxes, rarely go into a standard live trap.. they dislike confined spaces.. sick one dive right in...

a health fox is a good thing to have around. they control rabits, mice and other rodents... they rarely are seen by people in day light hours... only a female with pups will get caught out late in the morning or early in the evening...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #16
Raven

fish oils ends mainge in dogs