Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 04-03-2009, 05:06 AM   #1
jeffthechef
shut up and fish

metal lip advice...to swim or not to swim

as some of you have gathered i just started turning recently. I decided to really learn what i am doing by creating thru trial and error, rather than copy existing: i want to learn the in's and outs of bouyancy, you could say. with that said, is there any hard rule to follow when choosing metal lips for swimmers (i.e. width of plug vs. width of lip, depth etc) how do various size lips effect swim-ability? much appreciated. great bunch of guys here, I sensed that at plugfest this year and i appreciate it.
jeff
jeffthechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
Mr. Krinkle
Covered in Sawdust

It is all trial and error. However, different types of plugs work with different lips. Don't be afraid to experiment. You can always spin more wood. There are so many variables. You just have to try and see what works.
Mr. Krinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
stripercrazy
Hernia Pikie Maker

lips

its not 100% but your right alot of plugs the nose will be within 1/8 inch of the lip size. some general rules for lips the higher the loop hole the more the lip will pull down the nose (pikie) the mid loop hole (a40) have a side to side action there good surface lips...you'll find some lips will have 2 holes or you'll be able to buy a high slot/mid slot of the same lip giveing you 2 different actions....so when I build I tend to use midsloted lips for surface and high slot for more subsurface swimmers...deep diveing dannies I use the high slot, I use pikie 3 lips for cowboys

its no ones fault
stripercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:04 AM   #4
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...ad.php?t=55917
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #5
jeffthechef
shut up and fish

NS, i guess that thread said it all! thanks...i swam 3 prototypes in the river today, same body w/ 3 types of lips...the learning process began today...maybe a bit rough and windy but i saw the differences with/without weighting etc...seems the smaller lip offered more stability in the body type i tried, less roll and great tail wobble...cool
jeffthechef is offline   Reply With Quote