Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 03-31-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
Motor Fish

Ebay prices for new items???

I'm looking to buy a new Penn reel. I looked all around the web and prices seem relatively fixed and don't fluctuate. Then for giggles, I tried eBay and the prices are 25% less including shipping.

Is there anything wrong with these items? Any rumors? I'm just curious why eBay sellers with plenty of very good feedback can offer these items cheaper than any local stores/shops?

Am I missing something? Are they selling last years model?

Thanks,
Rich

My goal in life is to be the kind of man my dog thinks I am.
Motor Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
spence

Could be any number of reasons, old merchandise, lower margins, new seller etc... and always beware of vague descriptions.

But unless it's a specialty item you can save major $$$ on I'd get it locally. Not only does it keep your local shops in business but the time you save will = the $$$ most of the time.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:38 AM   #3
leptar
eh! What do you mean?

Doesn't matter some local shops still sell last years model too... unless drag washers changed or some new anti-rust bearing improvement it's the same reel.. not like a car...

neways... just make sure your getting a "NEW" 100% quality reel and not a blem or factory second that didn't make it to Sports#^&#^&#^&#^&sBoaters combo rack...

Several + years ago in S-A I asked why the combo's were cheaper then the reel in the box... The sales rep answered my question and told me that many if not all the reels were blems or factory seconds... So for $99 you could get the Senator 4/0 with rod but no box or paper work or for $120 get the Senator 4/0 with box and paper work....

By the way i'm all for the local shops... $10-$20 isn't allot on a $100 to shop elsewhere... besides most local shops will fill your reel for free if you bought it from them with mono or give you a discount on braid...

Last edited by leptar; 04-01-2008 at 12:45 AM..
leptar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:42 AM   #4
OffTheHook13
Where Am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor Fish View Post
I'm looking to buy a new Penn reel. I looked all around the web and prices seem relatively fixed and don't fluctuate. Then for giggles, I tried eBay and the prices are 25% less including shipping.

Is there anything wrong with these items? Any rumors? I'm just curious why eBay sellers with plenty of very good feedback can offer these items cheaper than any local stores/shops?

Am I missing something? Are they selling last years model?

Thanks,
Rich
You have to watch the shipping fees.

Most of those Ebay clowns sell you an item for 30 bucks and charge you 20 for shipping.

EBAY IS A SCAM

OffTheHook13 is offline   Reply With Quote