Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-22-2016, 12:24 PM   #1
eskimo

Plugs and 6X hooks

Started using 6X on at least the bellys of a lot of my plugs as the 4X just started to suck bad and bend under little pressure. I was surprised at how many guys already used 6X. I guess I was out of the loop.

Didn't pay much attention last season but test swam some stuff with 6X and the amount of resistance is noticeable. I generally like slimmer stuff so I thought I would back off the amount of lead but not sure that's the answer. Considered making each plug a hair thicker to make up for it?

Anyone switch and notice a difference? Not sure its the weight of the hook but the gauge of the wire.

Nobody calls me Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. I'm the Dude, man.
eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:00 PM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

You are right there is a big difference between the hooks.
I use 6x on certain plugs but not all because it can effect the plug.
I put them on Pencils, certain spooks, all large plugs that can handle a 6x 4/0 treble.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:35 AM   #3
eskimo

6X in 4/0 too? No issues with the 4x 4/0 as of yet. I've been going with a 6X belly and a 4X tail hook on pencils and two 6X on swimmers. A few years back they seemed to change when they started rusting much quicker but I never had a issue with bending until now.

Old 01-31-2016, 05:04 PM   #4
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

An issue with 6X's is that they often break if you try to cut and bend them. This means using a split ring and the combination of a split ring and heavier hook seems like a lot of extra ballast for thin swimmers.
I have used them on large regular Musso surface swimmers and they do fine. They also seem OK with bottle plugs. Medium Pichney/BM sized swimmers do OK with them, but I've not had luck with the skinny musso style I use predominantly. I think your idea of widening the plug a little is a sound one.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:50 PM   #5
eskimo

It handicaps plugs that you want to retreive slowly. I've thought about just backing off on the weight by a few grams but I think that is counter productive. Only option is to increase the thickness. I haven't broke a cut hook since I've made one of those tools to flex it open.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 02-01-2016, 07:49 AM   #6
stripermaineiac

I use the 4x VMC on my plugs an haven't had any issues so far. One of the problems I've seen is with the braid being used-50lb,65lb an 80lb test with these reels that have 40plus lb-tuna grade drags on them an guys trying to land a 25lb or bigger fish like it;s a schoolie. Neither the hooks, rods or the plugs are made to take that type of abuse. If someone can land 76lb school tuna,63 lb Giant Trevallie , 8ft sharks, 6ft long rooster fish and 50plus lb stripers on these hooks I start questioning why when anglers on the ditch keep bending the hooks either 4x or 6x. Back the drag off. LOL I saw a kid snap his reel off last yr with 80lb power pro and the drag set as tight as he could. Was complaining that his 400 dollar reel was junk. Something to keep in mind.
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:30 AM   #7
JLH

Only 6x VMC or 5x Mustads for me. I've had 15 pound fish bend 3/0 4x hooks and I'm not talking about areas with heavy current. I used to think the 4/0 4x were pretty good but they were getting mangled this past season on the few plugs in rigged up with them.

I mainly throw needles and darters which fish well with the heavier hooks. Some larger metal lips seem fine too. I mainly cut the 6x hooks and haven't had very many issues with them breaking when bending the eye though it does happen occasionally.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
JLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:27 PM   #8
eskimo

I couldn't fish my drag any looser than I already do and I back off my drag once I feel I'm in the clear. The issue with the hooks has been within the last year. You might still be fishing some old stock VMC hooks.