Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
The casualties of Sept 11 were 2976. Makes you wonder what's going to happen to the principles the country was founded upon someday when the civilian casualty count is six figures or more? When they're pulling corpses out of schools on television? We're closer to loading up the boxcars than we think.
We've already seen what happens when we're out for blood...the people won't care and the motivations of those in power at the time will have free reign.

God help us if there's a really big attack like a small nuke and we don't know how to respond. People will want retribution and won't really care who gets whipped.

Something to think about.

The number of Americans killed in terror attacks in the last few decades is probably around 3500 people, most on 9/11. A lot for sure and there's an economic impact that's big as well.

In response to this, we've already lost almost 5,700 fighting men and women since 9/11, perhaps another few thousand contractors and have created collateral damage in the tens to perhaps hundreds of thousands of civilians depending on who's count you take. Oh and how much spending? Well over a trillion dollars.

In the process, I think we've squashed any hope al Qaeda might have had of establishing a caliphate, but have we addressed any of the root cause issues?

Not so sure...

-spence
Old 08-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
We've already seen what happens when we're out for blood...the people won't care and the motivations of those in power at the time will have free reign.

God help us if there's a really big attack like a small nuke and we don't know how to respond. People will want retribution and won't really care who gets whipped.

Something to think about.

The number of Americans killed in terror attacks in the last few decades is probably around 3500 people, most on 9/11. A lot for sure and there's an economic impact that's big as well.

In response to this, we've already lost almost 5,700 fighting men and women since 9/11, perhaps another few thousand contractors and have created collateral damage in the tens to perhaps hundreds of thousands of civilians depending on who's count you take. Oh and how much spending? Well over a trillion dollars.

In the process, I think we've squashed any hope al Qaeda might have had of establishing a caliphate, but have we addressed any of the root cause issues?

Not so sure...

-spence
We dont " incite terrorism" Spence.

We are now trying the Kiss A$$ approach to Islamic radicals and yet they still want to kill you,your wife and your children. Not to mention that now even our allies don't like us anymore.

Your math is way off. 3500??? Americans maybe, world wide...X10 easy.

Your formula also fails to take into account how many would have died had we not had a war on terror. Lest you forget, we didn't start this thing, although being the terrorist sympathizer you are, I'm sure you believe we did.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
We dont " incite terrorism" Spence.
Who said we did? You can read can't you?

Quote:
We are now trying the Kiss A$$ approach to Islamic radicals and yet they still want to kill you,your wife and your children. Not to mention that now even our allies don't like us anymore.
By your logic, trying to talk to people is kissing their ass, that's part of the problem. I'd note that under Obama we've don't a hell of a lot of killing of radicals, even perhaps pushing the targeting killings beyond Bush.

Quote:
Your math is way off. 3500??? Americans maybe, world wide...X10 easy.
I said Americans, once again you fail to read.

Quote:
Your formula also fails to take into account how many would have died had we not had a war on terror. Lest you forget, we didn't start this thing, although being the terrorist sympathizer you are, I'm sure you believe we did.
It's a safe bet that there would be less total dead had we done nothing, not that I'm advocating for that. I do value ours more than there's...

But your comment that "we didn't start this thing" is just stupid. We don't live in a vacuum. Where we are today is a complex mix of actions over the years that didn't just happen by random.

You can accept this, and work towards a solution, or keep your head in the sand and prepare for another attack. Thinking critically doesn't mean you have to admit guilt or culpability.

Your choice.

-spence
Old 08-26-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Who said we did? You can read can't you?

By your logic, trying to talk to people is kissing their ass, that's part of the problem. I'd note that under Obama we've don't a hell of a lot of killing of radicals, even perhaps pushing the targeting killings beyond Bush.

I said Americans, once again you fail to read.

It's a safe bet that there would be less total dead had we done nothing, not that I'm advocating for that. I do value ours more than there's...

But your comment that "we didn't start this thing" is just stupid. We don't live in a vacuum. Where we are today is a complex mix of actions over the years that didn't just happen by random.

You can accept this, and work towards a solution, or keep your head in the sand and prepare for another attack. Thinking critically doesn't mean you have to admit guilt or culpability.

Your choice.

-spence
"But this behavior is directly feeding an Islamic stereotype of Americans that we're anti-Islam - and to those who incite terrorism - out to destroy Islam. Which exacerbates anti-American sentiment and helps fuel more terrorism"

Seems clear enough....

You did say Americans, as I noted.

I would love to hear why you feel sitting back after being attacked and doing nothing would have saved lives.

Admitting guilt is what Obama does. It's the foundation of his Kiss A$$ policy.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
spence

Quote:
"But this behavior is directly feeding an Islamic stereotype of Americans that we're anti-Islam - and to those who incite terrorism - out to destroy Islam. Which exacerbates anti-American sentiment and helps fuel more terrorism"

Seems clear enough....
To someone who can't read.

Quote:
You did say Americans, as I noted.
Not really.

Quote:
I would love to hear why you feel sitting back after being attacked and doing nothing would have saved lives.
Net dead, with the assumption that ours are worth more than theirs. I guess if you can't handle basic sentence structure we probably shouldn't get into algebra.

Quote:
Admitting guilt is what Obama does. It's the foundation of his Kiss A$$ policy.
This doesn't surprise me considering you don't seem to be able to grasp the basics of cause and effect.

-spence
Old 08-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
buckman

As we all know I'm the biggest racist on the net, but even I didn't start looking for Islamic driven yellow box trucks untill after they attacked the towers.

The Anti-Islam that you speak of is mostly a product of your imagination and low opinion of your fellow man. Like I said before we have an Islamic school here and I have never heard of this hatered that you profess is creating terrorism.

And please don't go all algebra on me....even in summer school taking it twice, I still don't get it
Old 08-26-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
spence

Quote:
As we all know I'm the biggest racist on the net, but even I didn't start looking for Islamic driven yellow box trucks untill after they attacked the towers.
And to think, had you been looking for an Christian driven yellow box truck the Oklahoma city bombing might have been averted

Quote:
The Anti-Islam that you speak of is mostly a product of your imagination and low opinion of your fellow man.
I thought you didn't drink?

Quote:
Like I said before we have an Islamic school here and I have never heard of this hatered that you profess is creating terrorism.
Perhaps because they have electricity all the time and their parents drive insured cars.

Quote:
And please don't go all algebra on me....even in summer school taking it twice, I still don't get it
I thought you were prep schooled?

-spence