Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 07-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
Saltheart

Where to buy these cheap lobsters i keep hearing about

I keep hearing on the news about the collapse of the lobster market and how prices are so low many guys are not going out to catch them cause its not worth the gas. Welllll....... why haven't I seen cheap lobsters in the stores? Lowest I've seen is $6.99 a pound , that's the same as usual. So where are these cheap lobsters?

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Paid $4.99/lb @Boomer's in Brockton

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
trevier

3.99lb up in market basket in NH,
trevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
A few guys I know that commercial lobster say it's not worth them leaving the dock for less than $4:00 per lb.

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
JamesJet

MB in Reading for 3.99. The ones I got were not true hard shells FYI. All sizes same prices as well, not only the 1.25s.
JamesJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
FishermanTim

So what it looks like may be happening is the lobstermen are NOT harvesting lobsters because the price isn't worth their effort, and this will cause the price to eventually climb as there will likely be a drop in available catch.

Forgive me, but isn't that somewhat shady, since they are helping drive up the cost of a readily available resource because they don't like the fact that they can't make more money.

Gee, it must really be terrible to have a glut in a product that only years ago they were worried that they couldn't catch enough to make ends meet.
Now they can't make enough to make ends meet.
It's a double edged sword.

Maybe they could catch and sell them as striper bait and really clean up?
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
bassballer

$5.99 at shaws in middletown yesterday
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
Saltheart

If I could find 3.99 locally I'd go on a week long lobster binge!

I used to buy them all the time when I could get a 3 pounder for $10 bucks. Then it was 6 culls (chiz) for $20 at Longwharf Seafood in Newport for a long time.

Anyway , any RI or SE MA places selling cheap. Brockton is doable but at the outer rim for me.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
fishbones

Check Market Basket in Raynham. My MIL got them there last week for $3.99/lb. You might want to call places first before wasting the gas, though.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #10
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

[QUOTE=FishermanTim;950328]Forgive me, but isn't that somewhat shady, since they are helping drive up the cost of a readily available resource because they don't like the fact that they can't make more money.

Shady? Thats how all business works. Do you think they manufacture more cars when there is an over supply on the market?
Drill more oil when there is too much driving down prices?

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
striper50trout

$3.99 at Shaws in Medway, Ma on Sunday

Last edited by striper50trout; 07-25-2012 at 01:49 PM..

Fish hard, Live long
striper50trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #12
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Price lobstermen are getting hasn't gone up in 20 years.
How much has the cost of fuel, boat, ins,gear, ect..... Gone up in the last 20 years ?

QUOTE=FishermanTim;950328]So what it looks like may be happening is the lobstermen are NOT harvesting lobsters because the price isn't worth their effort, and this will cause the price to eventually climb as there will likely be a drop in available catch.

Forgive me, but isn't that somewhat shady, since they are helping drive up the cost of a readily available resource because they don't like the fact that they can't make more money.

Gee, it must really be terrible to have a glut in a product that only years ago they were worried that they couldn't catch enough to make ends meet.
Now they can't make enough to make ends meet.
It's a double edged sword.

Maybe they could catch and sell them as striper bait and really clean up?[/QUOTE]
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #13
Night Shift

With all of these great prices, why was the lobster roll I ordered last night at Stripers Bar and Grill 30 (yes thirty) dollars. The small one was 18. It was always one size served on a large fresh roll. Now there are two sizes, both served on a hotdog roll.
I went in for take-out and walked out hungry. With my 30 bucks.
Night Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #14
WESTPORTMAFIA

Screw lobsters. It's blue crab time! Had a batch on Monday that I wouldn't have traded for any lobster
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #15
paradoxjim

Mike -

Most of the media that you are hearing/reading is referring to Maine lobster and the equivalent local inshore lobster. The lobster that comes from the offshore fishery (think Discovery Channel show) and Canadian hardshell lobster are a completely different animal and are subject to a entirely different price structure.

Maine and inshore lobster are referred to in the industry as "firm shell," "crackers" and various other names. These are the lobster that have some give in the shell along the sides of the carapace when you pick them up. These animals have recently shed (a stressful time) and have not grown completely inside of their new shell. Their new shell is starting to harden, but the body within is still smaller.

These lobster are weaker than the offshore or hardshell lobster. The weaker animals are often sent to processing plants (primarily in Canada) where they are cooked and the meat is picked and shipped back to the US and other markets. There is a glut of lobster available to the processors (read: more than they can handle and sell the meat from!), thus the prices collapse.

Hardshell lobsters are the guys that become very worldly. These lobster are stronger and more lively (better able to withstand the rigors of handling and shipping), their meat has filled out and their shells have completely hardened. Because they are more hardy, they get shipped by truck and by air to markets ranging from RI to FL to CA to Europe and Asia. Most of these hardshell lobster will survive their trips while the "crackers" would arrive mostly as deads (unsalable). Currently, there is no glut of good hardshell lobster, hence they command a higher price.
paradoxjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #16
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxjim View Post
Mike -

Most of the media that you are hearing/reading is referring to Maine lobster and the equivalent local inshore lobster. The lobster that comes from the offshore fishery (think Discovery Channel show) and Canadian hardshell lobster are a completely different animal and are subject to a entirely different price structure.

Maine and inshore lobster are referred to in the industry as "firm shell," "crackers" and various other names. These are the lobster that have some give in the shell along the sides of the carapace when you pick them up. These animals have recently shed (a stressful time) and have not grown completely inside of their new shell. Their new shell is starting to harden, but the body within is still smaller.

These lobster are weaker than the offshore or hardshell lobster. The weaker animals are often sent to processing plants (primarily in Canada) where they are cooked and the meat is picked and shipped back to the US and other markets. There is a glut of lobster available to the processors (read: more than they can handle and sell the meat from!), thus the prices collapse.

Hardshell lobsters are the guys that become very worldly. These lobster are stronger and more lively (better able to withstand the rigors of handling and shipping), their meat has filled out and their shells have completely hardened. Because they are more hardy, they get shipped by truck and by air to markets ranging from RI to FL to CA to Europe and Asia. Most of these hardshell lobster will survive their trips while the "crackers" would arrive mostly as deads (unsalable). Currently, there is no glut of good hardshell lobster, hence they command a higher price.
Great post.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #17
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Last time I bought lobsters was in Maine on the dock, in the shack, at $3.00 per #. Was there for two weeks and this guy zipped me up with several 5 and 6 pounders.

One of the funniest things that ever happened to me emptying my traps was when I picked up a lobster and it slipped right out of its shell and swam off.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote