Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 02-07-2017, 10:38 AM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Have your chimney inspected!!!

I was in my shop working yesterday morning when I heard Dani scream out to me, in a tone I knew that something was seriously wrong. From her office, she saw dark smoke coming from our across the street neighbors' house. I ran over telling her to call 911. As I got to the far side of the chimney, I was staring at flames on the framing timbers as it had already burned through the shingles and sheathing. Three trucks, police, and support service trucks/ambulances arrived quickly and burn damage was limited to a 10x10 area of the single story family room. I had a key to let them inside immediately so they did not have to bust down the door. Chimney had settled, and a hole had opened in the backside around the flu. The high winds had ignited smoldering wood behind the mantle from a fireplace fire during the Super Bowl. No one was home. No one injured putting it out. They hired me to board up in the afternoon.

So get your fireplace inspected if you burn.

Disgusting how many ambulance chasers descend on a fire trying to get in for board up, insurance services, public adjustors, cleaners, etc. Scum bags.....

Normally Dani would have been in her Hartford office, and she normally doesn't have her shades open in the home office due to direct sun at that time of morning. Very fortunate how things happened as her alert eye clearly save the house.

Review your policy for replacement coverage. It is not that much more.

Enjoy what you have, as Clammer says.......

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:49 PM   #2
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

I have 3 wood stove. 2 in the house and one in the Boat garage. I have all 3 cleaned and inspected every year. It's cheap insurance at $100 per flue

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:12 PM   #3
beamie

Piemma

Are the ones in the house lined with a ss liner all the way to the top or inside a clay flue. Apparently code nowadays for a stove a ss liner has to go all the way up.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:38 PM   #4
FishermanTim

It helps when you have alert neighbors.

Although it wasn't a problem, one of our neighbors hadn't had their furnace serviced a few years back, and when it fired up for the first time that season it billowed black smoke as if there were a fire inside.

We called 911 even though there were flames visible, mainly because I've never seen that kind of smoke coming from an oil burner before.

Once the local FD showed up they belayed our fears and explained what was the likely cause.

Felt foolish for calling for what was a trivial event, but they agreed that if it was a fire and we did nothing it could have been much worse.

KUDOS for you and you wife for being a good neighbor!

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:20 PM   #5
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamie View Post
Piemma

Are the ones in the house lined with a ss liner all the way to the top or inside a clay flue. Apparently code nowadays for a stove a ss liner has to go all the way up.
All 3 stoves have SS liner inside a clay flue and the SS liner stick up about 1' out of the flue.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:52 PM   #6
beamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
All 3 stoves have SS liner inside a clay flue and the SS liner stick up about 1' out of the flue.
That's good!!

I haven't been able to use my stove in the basement for a couple years. I had the stove and short liner just going to the beginning of the clay flue. Trying to get a SS liner to the top but that one flue takes a couple funny angles and the guys haven't been able to snake one down yet. Bums me out.

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:22 AM   #7
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamie View Post
That's good!!

I haven't been able to use my stove in the basement for a couple years. I had the stove and short liner just going to the beginning of the clay flue. Trying to get a SS liner to the top but that one flue takes a couple funny angles and the guys haven't been able to snake one down yet. Bums me out.
Yes, I understand. I am lucky that all my clay liners were straight.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:41 PM   #8
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Not only clean chimney homeowners should have trees cut down/back from power lines.
House across the street from me was on the news a few weeks ago after a tree came down on a very windy night.
Took down power lines with it.
Everything from lines into meter, meter, breaker panel, some wiring inside ceilings & walls, every gfi, every appliance and every piece of electronics fried.
Transformers on pole blew giving quite the light show.
Downed line started a fire on the ground.
Voltage going into ground ruptured gas line 4 ft down.
About a week later after electric company, gas company & electricians working there all week another line off the same pole came down.
Whole scenario happened again other than appliances & electronics not yet replaced.
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:36 PM   #9
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

That sux, Ronnie. Sorry to hear.... PITA for sure!

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote