Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 03-17-2017, 09:30 AM   #1
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Prolotherapy?

My 2011 L4/L5 surgery helped with the sharp pain and eliminated the pain radiating down my legs, but my lower back pain is 24/7. If I'm walking, golfing, fishing, working in the yard I'm ok, but the minute I stand still or sit in one spot I'm uncomfortable within ten minutes. It's actually the primary reason I purchased a kayak I could stand up in, so that when the discomfort gets a bit much, I can stand up and fish for a while. The exception might be my lazy boy with a heating pad under my lower back, but put me in a hard chair and in ten minutes I have to get up. A trip to the acupuncturist, chiropractor or massage therapist buys me a day or maybe two if lucky of reprieve, but its short term.

I read an interesting article on Prolotherapy and it sounds like it might be worth pursuing as an alternate and hopefully a more permanent solution. I'm wondering if anyone has had the injections or knows of someone who has. Like anything you research on the web, there are plenty of good reviews, the same skeptical reviews and the usual lesser amounts of people who had it done and either it didn't work or they came out worse. I'm looking at New England Prolotherapy out of Malden. Of course my insurance isn't going to cover it, but at $750 for 5 visits and injections, it's a small price to pay if it gives me some relief.

If this were an occasional problem after too much golf or fishing, I'd just grin and bear it, but I'd love to have it be just that; an occasional problem.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:48 AM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I don't know anything about that but I can suggest Yoga to you Bob. Regular strengthening should help. That and keeping your stomach tightened.

I hear you on the sitting, it seems inactivity will bring on pain, I think it is those muscles softening but on the other hand you don't want them in spasm either.
Give Yoga a try
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:43 AM   #3
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Tried it all, core work at the gym and stretching is always part of my routine and two yoga classes a week. It all helps it get worse I suspect, but none of it is making it all that much better.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:46 AM   #4
Raven

rent or borrow a Jacuzzi and allow yourself to float on the air bubbles and get a hydro massage.
Then time how long that gives you some relief. i have a similar
condition where if i stand on a hard surface looking downward to accomplish a task
the pain starts to build up to the highest level beyond what i can tolerate.
Walking on soil is Way different
than walking say around home depot. that kills me.

All pain is the result of Pressure on your Nerves.
lecithin is a substance your body produces and it protects your nerves like a shock absorber
as an outer covering to shield your MYALIN that is replenished only by sleep.
Once that wears off the pain gets worse. you can take it tho as a suppliment.

after a certain age around 40 -45 your body doesn't produce substances in sufficient quantities anymore.
Just a suggestion ....i'd try a different approach.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:48 AM   #5
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Oh yeah live in my jacuzzi, just like everything else, feel great for a while.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-18-2017, 09:46 PM   #6
Slipknot
Super Moderator

price you pay for the toll you have taken on your body from the abuse you gave it.
it sucks I know

go see TB12 the guy who helps Brady
there must be something serious if it is that chronic

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote