Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 04-04-2019, 12:07 PM   #1
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Attic Storage

I recently layed some Advantek up in our unfinished attic space to create storage space, not living space. (60 sheets actually...ouch, my back)
So as not to decrease my R-Value, I had to raise it up a few inches with cross members. The insulation type between my ceiling joists appears to be blown in wool/stone/fibres? It's grey fluffy stuff...sorry, best I can describe it.

Here's my question, have any of you tradesmen seen mold build ups beneath attic flooring in an unfinished attic space?
I just want to know if I should be concerned about what I did...I didn't block any soffit areas, nothing to stop or impair circulation...I just didn't know if trapping the insulation between the Adventech and the sheet rock would cause issue? There is a vapor barrier (poly) between the insulation and the sheetrock, not sure if that helps with your opinions?

I did do a lot of research prior to the project, but experience supersedes any research that I could ever do...

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:06 PM   #2
Pete F.
Canceled

If you had a vapor leak prior to the installation that just dissipated into the attic air and was vented out, it could possibly condense on the material you installed.
Take a look next winter and if you see a spot, fix the vapor leak with a can of sprayfoam.
Usually attic mold is an issue if you have; a bath fan blowing into the attic, a basement with a big water issue, a totally unvented roof, some odd moisture load in a house like a pot farm or a combination of things that add up to something.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:51 PM   #3
Guppy
User

I’d say you’re all right...
Surprised to hear there’s poly on top of the rock, I’m not a fan of a too tight of a house...
Haven’t been active with this stuf for a while but not too long ago the IRC (building code) dropped insul regs and opted in the IECC (insul code) which didn’t address moisture at all ! (Conflicts)

Just don’t block the soffit vent,,, bad things happen:-)
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:13 AM   #4
Pete F.
Canceled

I don't have to deal with the Mass code often, the IBC as far as energy efficiency goes, refers to the IECC.
However under exterior walls the 2018 IBC section 1404.3 calls for Vapor retarders as part of assemblies. It's pretty clear.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-05-2019, 09:56 AM   #5
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

New home (2018), extremely tight, vapor barrier surrounding entire livable space (don't think they did it below the hardwood though, can't remember?.... but they did a vacuum test and all??
Honestly, it's extremely more efficient as my energy bills have dropped significantly, but getting used to some new things has been a challenge for this worry wart.
Puddles of water on my sills from interior window condensation...hoping it's mostly from the moisture in all the new lumber, and that once it clears, things will improve? I really don't want to run a dehumidifier in the house if I don't have to?...this is going to be summer #2, I guess I'll have to wait and see...
Thinking I should put my bath-vents on timers, see if that helps too?

Thanks for the replies guys!
Much appreciated.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:30 AM   #6
Pete F.
Canceled

No HRV or ERV?
Could retrofit one, real easy if you have forced air heat, but not impossible in any case.
They typically cure the moisture buildup problem.
Actually I'm surprised that you don't have one, ventilation is required by code and pretty standard in tight houses.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-06-2019, 11:09 PM   #7
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

To be totally honest, being green to this new tight-ness and the issues that accompanied it, I had no idea about HRVs or ERVs.
My HVAC guy never mentioned it either...would have been nice to have the option during the build. Seems that these systems are better or rather more efficient with having their own trunks than sharing the existing HVAC ones...

I've done a little research since reading your reply Pete and will definitely give it some deep thought.
With everything buttoned up tight, running new duct-work now..

Thanks for the advice!