Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 03-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #61
GooGoo Man
Addicted to plugs

Had a great time, talked with a lot of talented plugbuilders, saw old friends, made new friends & to top it off I won the grand prize, a beautiful plugbag that "Numbskull" made, George it is spectactular & I will use it w/ a giant smile on my face!

I was walking around my shop today wearing it & starting the spring countdown.

Thank You Slip & John, you do so much & we all appreciate it.
GooGoo Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #62
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagger View Post
Kudo's to whoever made this darter .. I have a CCB with this line tie ,, Been meaning to get around to making one .. I was glad to see it and wondered how well this system works .. nice work ..
That would be me... CCB only made that plug for 4 years... 1955-58... the 1955 -56 version weighed 2 1/2 ounces and had the line tie in the center of the mouth... in 1957, they moved the line tie to the top, the through wire was doubled and wrapped around itself and nestled onto the pull eye.... dyed putty filled the through hole in the mouth.( I have a primo 1958 version). extra weigh was added to bring it up to 4 ounces... due to the shortge of white cedar, that surf darter , the surf plunker, the salt water surfster and the pikie 700L ( tail weighted) were eliminated from the line up... It took some doing and dozens of trial and errors to get it right but that plug swam some pissa when I finished it.. whoever got it got a real nice swimming plug...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #63
GregW
Secretsquirrel

I got some incredible pieces.

Picture 1:
-Muskyslayer jitterbug that I won in the raffle, This might be too nice to fish.

-A parrot darter by Joe (Rockfish9). We all know how much I like to fish parrot darters. This one will certainly have a place in my plug bag this year.

-A red, white , and blue pencil that Mark (mojo7) gave me. This is one cool piece, and I am very fond of the color scheme for obvious reasons.

Picture 2:
-Mac popper made by Ross (nightfighter). I have a few spots in mind for this one.

- Two pencils. I know the blue one was made by Dan (angler229) and the white one I am not sure of the builder. These will get some use as one of my favorite things to do is throw a pencil right at daybreak.

- And lastly is a unique bait made by Derek. I am interested in seeing how this swims , as I havent seen anything like it in action before.

Thanks again to everyone. It was nice seeing old friends and meeting new people. I am looking forward to next year and to the future when I get a space where I can build my own plugs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plugfest 1.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	51133   Click image for larger version

Name:	plugfest 2 (1).jpg
Views:	288
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	51134  

Last edited by GregW; 03-04-2012 at 06:37 PM..
GregW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #64
stripermaineiac

Hi all,Just got home an saw the thread. was a great time an got some sweet plugs to use this spring. thanks to John an Slip for all the work you do to make this happen.Good time an great people.
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #65
angler229

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I got some incredible pieces.
Picture 2:

- Two pencils. I know the blue one was made by Dan (angler229) and believe the white one is as well. These will get some use as one of my favorite things to do is throw a pencil right at daybreak.
Only the blue one is mine not sure who made the white.
angler229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #66
GregW
Secretsquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by angler229 View Post
Only the blue one is mine not sure who made the white.
Fixed it.
GregW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #67
derekl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Fixed it.
White one was mine
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
derekl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #68
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post
That would be me... CCB only made that plug for 4 years... 1955-58... the 1955 -56 version weighed 2 1/2 ounces and had the line tie in the center of the mouth... in 1957, they moved the line tie to the top, the through wire was doubled and wrapped around itself and nestled onto the pull eye.... dyed putty filled the through hole in the mouth.( I have a primo 1958 version). extra weigh was added to bring it up to 4 ounces... due to the shortge of white cedar, that surf darter , the surf plunker, the salt water surfster and the pikie 700L ( tail weighted) were eliminated from the line up... It took some doing and dozens of trial and errors to get it right but that plug swam some pissa when I finished it.. whoever got it got a real nice swimming plug...
Joe their big darter was 7 1/4" no ? The one I have is 5 3/4" 2.2 ounces ,, feels weighted .. It would be mint except for the worm burn ..

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #69
Chunkah

First off, this was such a great event and I want to say thank you to John and everyone who makes it possible. The new venue was great and really made for a comfortable and rexaled atmosphere. I must have walked around the room 10 times looking at everything and admiring everyone's work. I was fortunate to be able to talk to a lot of talented builders, and yet there were so many I didn't get to meet...there is always next year! I really think the tinker toy spinner was one of the best things on display! I got some great plugs, all of which are going to get some serious time on the water this coming season. I look forward to posting pictures of what they catch.

Cheers!

Name:	goodies.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	51137

Chunkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #70
Lower

Good times for sure. It was great seeing everyone. I Always enjoy it. Thanks to Bruce, John and any others who make this happen. Sorry I wasn't there at the end...Unfortunately I had to take off. Best part of that plug is gathering the materials....
Lower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #71
O.D. Mike

Thanks John and Bruce!!! Had a great day, learned so much, everyone in my party had fun at their first plugfest. Liked the Elks alot, plenty of room. It was awesome to actually hold Rowhunter, the Greeks and Muskyslayers plugs in my hand!! Impressive work!!!
Good to see everyone!!

Cheers,
OD

"Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice." >> Yoda
O.D. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #72
Rockfish9

Quote:
Joe their big darter was 7 1/4" no ? The one I have is 5 3/4" 2.2 ounces ,, feels weighted .. It would be mint except for the worm burn ..
what you have is the salt darter.. that also had a very short 4 year life span... they blamed the shortage of cedar for the demise of that plug.. my gut feeling is all those salt water series darters were toads.. I have yet to see one or speak to someone that has seen once actualy work..and yea all were heavily weighted.. theor catolog from 1956 states that thet were 'tail weighted to sail like an arrow"

Old 03-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #73
chrisjoe13

Quote:
.. whoever got it got a real nice swimming plug...
I didn't have anything finished to trade so I knew the only way was to buy a handful of raffle tickets.
Sweet plug that will get fished this year.
Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	570.5 KB
ID:	51152  
chrisjoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #74
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
what you have is the salt darter.. that also had a very short 4 year life span... they blamed the shortage of cedar for the demise of that plug.. my gut feeling is all those salt water series darters were toads.. I have yet to see one or speak to someone that has seen once actualy work..and yea all were heavily weighted.. theor catolog from 1956 states that thet were 'tail weighted to sail like an arrow"
I like the size and the 2 hooks and the line tie .. cedar ? I don't know what they were trying to do,, but I'd make it out of birch ,, and tail weighted ? , sounds like a recipe for disaster,,, must come it like a ass dead stick..

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 03-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #75
Rockfish9

Quote:
I like the size and the 2 hooks and the line tie .. cedar ? I don't know what they were trying to do,, but I'd make it out of birch ,, and tail weighted ? , sounds like a recipe for disaster,,, must come it like a ass dead stick..
white cedar.. which according to the collectors book was it's demise.. i made mine from Western red.. with( as i recall 6 grams)tail weight... it swims pissa.. my original sinks like a stone.. I never got to see how thye intended it to be.. and it's od din my way of thinkig CCBCO made tons and tons of small ( sucsessfull )darters

Old 03-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #76
machinist

plugfest

thanks to all who put on an awesome event. this was my first time and walked the room several times. found everyone pleasant and eager to share info. came away with alot of ideas. thanks to all who made me feel welcome and traded with me. was lucky to win the best in show plug, thank you rowhunter. also a thanks to slipknot for taking some time welcome me, if you are interested in the tappered tail weight we talked about pm me.
machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #77
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Hey Bruce just curious what happened to best recreation of a classic category as in years past ?

and BTW if I was the only nit wit to enter than it doesn't matter as you need more than one entry to have a category.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #78
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

This thread now has me realizing how much stuff and people I missed.... Didn't spend nearly enough time checking out jig displays of ProfM and Rockfish, even though they were right in line with where I put my crap.... Their tables were always busy, so I figured I would get to them later....not. Have to go visit Joe's shop in the next two weeks!

Built a centering jig, new mackeral paint master,and got a darter profile finished for the vega. Turned a new set up master and three bodies.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #79
Slipknot
Super Moderator

ya, i quickly mentioned that earlier in the thread, sorry
brain fart

John has the list, I called him afterwards and mentioned it, but addressing that is not high on the list as he has much going on still. I think I screwed up one of the frames breaking the glass, but he said there was supposed to be an extra, well I think that may have been before the military was added. So we goofed up.
I am not even sure if there were any more classics, at one time during the day I tried to get Dan angler229 to enter something but then I got distracted like happened a dozen more times so you may have been the only one or maybe one other but i don't recall. I thought your plugs were both very worthy, I marvelled at both, your work is impecable. We will plan the contest better next time around. thanks
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #80
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

LOL, no biggie I was just wondering. Thought youz guys may have dropped the category. Next year I will lobby for more guys to try some classics in time for the fest.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 03-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #81
Mojo7
Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
This thread now has me realizing how much stuff and people I missed.... Didn't spend nearly enough time checking out jig displays of ProfM and Rockfish, even though they were right in line with where I put my crap.... Their tables were always busy, so I figured I would get to them later....not. Have to go visit Joe's shop in the next two weeks!

Built a centering jig, new mackeral paint master,and got a darter profile finished for the vega. Turned a new set up master and three bodies.
Just finished one myself. Works pissa.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	plugs 016.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	51167  
Mojo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #82
the greek

Had a good time as I do every year, seeing friends and meeting new people. As usual I missed several people i wanted to meet. Thanks to the people who do all the work and I know it takes alot. All I do every year is show up and enjoy everything. Vineyard blues thank you for bringing your displays and especially the stuff I was asking about. There is a world of difference seeing something in hand vs looking at pics on the internet. Paul your jigs and fixtures are beyond words and worth the trip just to get a look at. George I have looked at your xrays every year and still find something I get to take away from them. Jamie and Joe it was good seeing you guys again and I really hope I get some time to be able to come up and fish with you guys a bit. Plugfest was great but then I had the fortune of spending the rest of the weekend at Glen"s place. We ended up building stuff in his shop till about 2 in the morning. Glen your shop is to die for and you are a 1st rate host. Thank you. Can't wait to do it again next year.
the greek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #83
Sgt Striper

Great to see everyone had a good time as usual, thanks to all who posted pictures. Spent my Saturday on painting and epoxy, trying to finish up some plugs that have been sitting for months. Another year has gone and again I was unable to attend this great event. As they say there's always next year.
Sunday was fun watching everyone scramble around the room at the Berkeley Show to buy those limited edition ( and in full sets) fisherman catching plugs

"The lips stand out because she wants to suck on your Pikie."....Mike Laptew
Van Staal Service/Repair Technician
Sgt Striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:20 AM   #84
timmah

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjoe13 View Post
I didn't have anything finished to trade so I knew the only way was to buy a handful of raffle tickets.
Sweet plug that will get fished this year.
Thank you!
I have dirty dreams about where you are going to use that. So nice.
timmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #85
Striperknight
Plug Paladin

Sorry I missed out. Always a good time. I had a Cub Scout trip I could not miss since I'm a leader there was no way out.
Striperknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #86
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striperknight View Post
Sorry I missed out. Always a good time. I had a Cub Scout trip I could not miss since I'm a leader there was no way out.
good man ..

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 03-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #87
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Missed you. Even had a meat raffle lined up. Lol
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #88
tysdad115

Mike just dropped off my plugfest raffle winning plugs..wow. Whoever picked these out did a great job. Angler229, Muskeyslayer and ?? not sure who made the white one. All three are amazing , thank you for donating and picking these out for us.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-03-07_12-49-54_15.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	51180  
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #89
Mojo7
Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysdad115 View Post
Mike just dropped off my plugfest raffle winning plugs..wow. Whoever picked these out did a great job. Angler229, Muskeyslayer and ?? not sure who made the white one. All three are amazing , thank you for donating and picking these out for us.
Andy I believe the bottom one is from stripermaineiac, I got a couple of those myself.
Mojo7 is offline   Reply With Quote