Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #31
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
If they broke the laws of another country.....I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Lets go Sight seeing in a Warzone.....Stupidest friggin thing somebody can do.

Oh wait, we're Americans.....You can't hold Stupidity against us

Yes, please free a bunch of retards. Somewhere in the constitution there's a clause that says we can be utter retards anywhere in the world. Also wear t shirts made in china that have our flag on them.
USA!
USA!

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 09-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #32
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

you guys all have a lot of pride in being US citizens.

Dont worry, it shows and people (namely our enemies) are counting on it.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 09-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #33
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
you guys all have a lot of pride in being US citizens.

Dont worry, it shows and people (namely our enemies) are counting on it.
Haven't you ranted before about how people aren't held accountable for their actions enough?

Nationalism is not predicated by a blind support of moronic actions others take when abroad. They decided to explore near the border of a country which we hold some of the most politically hostile relations with. The only reason they weren't shot on site is because they are worth more as a bargaining/PR asset. There are enough stupid people here already... they can rot in Iran for all I care.

You have absorbed GOP debating methods well though - forming your own definition of patriotism and hiding behind it to support a baseless argument.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #34
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Jay Severin, a talk radio host would always make an observation I agree with. A few thousand years ago, being a citizen of Rome meant something, no matter where you went, no one effed with you because it would bring down the wrath of the empire. It used to be the same with the US. Not anymore. We get no respect, why? Cause we have no balls. You do remember the Iran hostage crisis dont you? WHo won that? Not us. I highly doubt these people were spies, yet that is what they are held for. Next time you're abroad and get nabbed for jay walking and wind up in prison, dont look for your country to protect you. its not that we should be free from accountaiblity for any stupid action, but we should be backed up by our government to ensure the rights of our citizens. I look at these hikers as political prisoners. I guess its just me. Didnt the government get heavily involved in the case of that kid in Singapore that was caned? Same thing IMHO.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #35
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

I'm actually with Jim.
I do think there is more to the story. Maybe they are trying to hone in on some opiates to traffic or something. Maybe they are just retards, however, we went to N.K. to get the religious 'missionary' who snuck in a few months ago. we should be doing something although how much is being done and how much is being discussed openly may be two different things entirely!

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 09-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #36
spence

I think I agree with RIJ on this one.

We should immediately demand their release.

Of course, a negotiation will ensue, and the US will have to compramise to gain agreement.

Say the hikers for another 12 months of nuclear program. That sound about right.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 09-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #37
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Didnt the government get heavily involved in the case of that kid in Singapore that was caned? Same thing IMHO.
Kid got what he deserved.....he still got caned, didn't he.

and Espionage is a little more serious than Vandalizing Cars.

Next time you come across a group of cambodians poaching fish....remember in their country its legal and they just didn't know better, so we should be lenient with them....its OK to be ignorant of our laws.....

and I like the way you question somebody's "Pride in America" because we don't want to rush in and save 3 Dumbasses who put themselves in a bad situation.

Call it crazy but Common sense dictates that you don't go to an area of the World that wants to Kill Americans. bad Choice of Vacation spots there....try Disneyworld next time...good wholesome American fun.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 09-28-2010, 06:16 AM   #38
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Next time you're abroad and get nabbed for jay walking and wind up in prison, dont look for your country to protect you.
"Nanny state save meeee! Waaah!"

Quote:
its not that we should be free from accountaiblity for any stupid action, but we should be backed up by our government to ensure the rights of our citizens.
You go to a foreign country, you abide by their laws. Or is that too hard to understand?

Borders of hostile countries are a bit of a no-brainer....

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 09-28-2010, 06:50 AM   #39
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
basically, everything all of you posted is incorrect. They were not in a war zone.
Also, they are not being held for crossing the border. they are being held for ESPIONAGE! So, its not the responsibility of our country to get them out?

On July 31, 2009, three Americans, Sarah Shourd (31), Shane Bauer (27) and Joshua Fattal (27), were detained by Iranian border guards whilst hiking in Iraqi Kurdistan. Iran claims the three crossed into Iranian territory,[1] but the three Americans claim they were kidnapped from within Iraq.[2]

Sarah Shourd was released by Iran on September 14, 2010.[3]

In June 2010, an article in The Nation alleged that two villagers said the hikers were accosted by Iranian authorities while they were on the Iraqi side of the border.[2]

The three, anti-war, social justice and Palestinian solidarity activists,[4][5][6][7][8][9][10][11][12] had been living and active in the Middle East, and were on holiday in Iraqi Kurdistan, an autonomous region of Iraq free from the sectarian struggle that dominates much of Iraq[13][14][15]. They had been advised of the suitability of the region for a holiday by friends who had been there and through Internet research; and were recommended the Ahmed Awa waterfall, a popular Kurdish tourist destination, by a number of local people whilst they were in Sulaymaniyah.[15] After visiting the waterfall, they continued walking within what they believed to be Iraqi Kurdistan, up to and including the time they were detained by Iranian border guards.[16]

According to the BBC, they were not "publicly charged" with a crime by Iran;[17] but according to the New York Times, they have been held on espionage charges since their arrest.[18]

Their companion, Shon Meckfessel, was not detained, as he stayed behind at the Hotel Miwan in Sulaymaniyah because of a cold. He had intended to join them the following day.
This is the version of the events that I've seen over past few weeks. They were near the border but on the Iraq side is Iraqi Kurd area. Would not be the first time the Iranians have been lazy regarding borders.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #40
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Call it crazy but Common sense dictates that you don't go to an area of the World that wants to Kill Americans. bad Choice of Vacation spots there....try Disneyworld next time...good wholesome American fun.
your right, much better to cower in fear and play it safe. (BTW - thats about 60 percent ;of the world)
And I started this thread because Ahmidinjead (sp) was in the the good ole friendly us and we did NOTHING. OOOH, not true ! We walked out on him! Ouch! I bet he was hurt, So a hostile country (likwids words) captures Americans for ESPIONAGE. And most of you think we should do nothing?
If you really think about, with that logic, Daniel Pearl basically got what he deserved, I mean a Jew in Iraqm, during a war, come on, talk about STUPID.
Those wacky muslims, man they crack me up. Hopeful they will be found guilty and stoned to death, that will be a fun show!

And my pride in america comments were directed at likwid, have you ever met someone with so much disdain for this country, err that wasnt middle eastern I mean.

Last edited by RIJIMMY; 09-28-2010 at 08:08 AM..

Old 09-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #41
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
"Nanny state save meeee! Waaah!"

You go to a foreign country, you abide by their laws. Or is that too hard to understand?

Borders of hostile countries are a bit of a no-brainer....
They're held for espionage. The internet has a dictionary in case that words not in your vocabulary.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:14 AM   #42
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

well what do you know!
Under Iran's Islamic law, espionage can be punishable by execution. The case has further complicated relations between Tehran and Washington, which are strained over Iran's nuclear program.

Well DadF, they may just get what they deserve! The difference for me is that they will kill Americans while you think they will kill some stupid idiots. I dont think people can do whatever they want in countrys but I demand that Americans be given justice, western justice.
Likwid and DadF - ask yourselves this, what if the 3 hikers were Chinese? You think they'd be in captivity for this long? No way, cuz Iran doesnt have the balls to F with China, but they do with US. But hey, you all agree.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #43
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Im actually starting to see your point! I mean think of the Lusitainia! WTF were Americans doing on a ship going to Europe during a world war! pretty freikin stupid, no? Those idiots got what they deserved.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:56 AM   #44
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

If you are so fired up about doing something...then why don't you. Nothing is stopping you from taking a walk down to the local recruiting office and signing on the dotted line....then you can make a difference....maybe they'll send you over there to go and get them out.

Then somebody in uniform can come by your house and tell your wife and kids that Daddy isn't coming home because he had to go and get two chowdah heads, who decided they wanted to vacation along a hostile country's border, and get them out of a situation that they shouldn't have put themselves in in the 1st place.

How do you know they aren't guilty? All you know is what you read in the Biased Liberal Media...how do you know they aren't full of %$%$%$%$. What should we do to get them out.....go in guns a blazin, jus tlike the Duke would do. We could lose a few good men in the process.....but what the hell, they signed up for this, and we're America Dammit....we don't take %$%$%$%$ from nobody....even when we might be wrong.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 09-28-2010, 09:03 AM   #45
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

theres 2 things here
- if they're guilty, I would assume they were spying for the US? Or a US ally? Then we SHOULD be helping them,right? They would be riksing there lifes for YOU, no?
- if they're not guilty, then there being held by a "hostile" government against their will and as American citizens, we should be working internationally to help them. they're not being held for illegaly crossing the border, they're being held for spying, which has a death penalty. Big difference!

So, what should we do. What would you do if it was your kids? Theres your answer.

Last edited by RIJIMMY; 09-28-2010 at 09:14 AM..

Old 09-28-2010, 09:18 AM   #46
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
And my pride in america comments were directed at likwid, have you ever met someone with so much disdain for this country, err that wasnt middle eastern I mean.
Disdain? I'm not the one bitching that "we" haven't done anything about the idiots.

The only disdain I have is for nanny state clowns like you.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 09-28-2010, 09:25 AM   #47
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
Disdain? I'm not the one bitching that "we" haven't done anything about the idiots.

The only disdain I have is for nanny state clowns like you.
whatever, you're looking for the government to give everybody and their brother a hand out and a job. Nanny state my a$$.
American needs to show a strong voice to the world and represent its citizens. This is not an individual issue, its a national issue. They're not being held for what they did, but for WHO THEY ARE. American citizens.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #48
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
whatever, you're looking for the government to give everybody and their brother a hand out and a job. Nanny state my a$$.
American needs to show a strong voice to the world and represent its citizens. This is not an individual issue, its a national issue. They're not being held for what they did, but for WHO THEY ARE. American citizens.
OK. And if they are there b/c they are idiots, missionaries etc.. I agree, go get them, or work to get them released. Send GWB, Clinton and Carter have already gone and bailed people out from hostile places.

However, if they are there for some nefarious purpose, i.e. my theory, drugs or something then tough %$%$%$%$.

If they are 'spies' then it really is a dicey political issue.

My gut says 1. they (gov't) are doing more than the evil media is reporting
2. the reason these guys/gal were in this region is something not being said....

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 09-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #49
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Per number 1 - the US governement (state department) turned the issue over to the Swedes or Swiss, forgot which one, because we dont have direct discussions with Iran. Im not making that up.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:50 AM   #50
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

right. and that means the state department just put their hands in their pockets, and walked away whistling.....

like I said, if they were just stupid I agree with you, if they were there doing something not on the up and up, tough %$%$%$%$. what would happen if you got caught trying to move coke out of Colombia? would the state department go rescue you?

Bryan

Old 09-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #51
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
right. and that means the state department just put their hands in their pockets, and walked away whistling.....

like I said, if they were just stupid I agree with you, if they were there doing something not on the up and up, tough %$%$%$%$. what would happen if you got caught trying to move coke out of Colombia? would the state department go rescue you?
i agree with you but I havent seen any evidence that they were doing anything illegal other than crossing the border, which is still debatable